Happy Surgiversary, Junies!

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/10 11:24 pm
VSG on 06/08/09 with
 My first surgiversary is tomorrow, and am humbled, grateful and proud.  Having WLS is the greatest gift I ever gave to myself.  I thought the weight would come off like magic.  It didn't, but it came off, and the surgery made it possible for me to eat less.  The choices I have made have been mine.  

I have lost 96 pounds since my surgery, 106 pounds from my top weight.  I have a quality of life that I haven't had since I was in my 30's (I'm 60 now).  I can garden, hike, ride a bike, and generally keep up with my husband in a way that is very gratifying.  My body is different than it was the last time I was thin.  My waist is bigger, my skin is certainly saggier.  But at this age, I don't much care.  My husband has loved me fat, and he will now love me saggy.  No one else matters.  

Losing a bit more would be nice, but if I don't, I'm fine with that.  I'm in a size 12 (down from a tight 24).  I know that keeping it off will be a matter of making good choices on a daily basis.  I struggle with grazing, especially in the afternoon and evenings.  I also struggle with stress eating at work.  I am exploring tools to deal with that (i.e., Beck diet solution, various types of therapy, meditation, etc.).  I know now that, because of the surgery, I have a fighting chance.

We all deserve to have a fighting chance.   The pain of living with obesity is overwhelming.  We are all fighters to have survived this.  People who have never experienced body deformity have no idea how it impacts your life minute by minute.   

To those of you who are newbies, congratulations on your decision.  It is a brave thing that we do going under the knife.  But it is no braver than facing each day with obesity.  I know now that everything we do when we are obese takes courage:  Getting to work, going on job interviews, having a social life, walking up the stairs, sitting in a chair, going to the movies, going to the gym ****verything is different when one is carrying around an extra hundred, two hundred, five hundred pounds.  

To survive, we develop a variety of survival skills.  We become aggressive, or recluse, or jolly, or overly religious,  or any number of other things that help get us through the day.  Some of these behaviors serve us better than others, but all are methods that seem necessary to our survival.  

Congratulations to us all for surviving.  And to those of you who have supported me in any way along my journey - thank you.  

HEATHER J.
on 6/13/10 10:26 am - Church Hill, MD
well said!
Congrats on your year!
I will be celebrating on June 26...... in this year, I have lost 140pounds, gained strength,courage, and a new life! I am now wearing a size 9, which is loose on me! I never thought I would say that! I have maintained my loss for about 5 to 6months......yes, I lost all the weight in 6 months. Unfortunately I have dealt with severe skin rashes.....boy they hurt! However, the rashes did qualify me for plastics! So, now I am getting prepared for that surgery.....July 12 I will be getting the gross sagging skin removed from my thighs, belly, and my breasts! Things will be tightened up & put back where they belong! I am sooo excited & scared too.
My journey has been fabulous and I would not change a thing!
CONGRATS TO ALL MY JUNE BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting weight 301 Current weight 127

No Matter How I May Change, I Will Still Be ME!!!!

Patti ATX
on 6/23/10 10:19 pm - Austin, TX
RNY on 06/16/09 with
Happy Anniversary!

When I think of all of my challenges and rewards over the past year I am amazed.  But I will say that the demons of food arenot gone and I get very scared.  I was 265 when I started and I weighed in at 140 by my anniversary date of 6/16.  I still struggle with keeping the sweet demon away.  I don't know where he came from because I didn't crave sweets a year ago.  I am proud to say that I am in a size 4/6 depends on the garment.  I work out 5 days a week and I have walked a marathon amongst other races.  My newest goal set yesterday is to train to run a marathon by time I am 50  I hope that I can do it by 48 (6 months away) but I don't know if I am just setting myself up for failure.  Anyhow, I love my new healthy active life and I didn't realize how good I love my life til this surgery.....I think I will need more support now that I did a year ago.  All the choices made are crucial since I can eat a "normal persons" portion. 
Most Active