Roll call! Just checking on everyone! How ya doing?

princessfrogee
on 7/5/11 3:44 pm - AL
Just wanted to check in with everyone and see how you all are doing?

I am two weeks out.  Next to no problems or issues from surgery.  Week one, had some bad sneezes that left lower left abdomen burning and tender.  Dr says that is one of the biggest muscles they cut through to get the instruments in there and that incision is the largest as that is the one the staple gun goes into.  Said I probably pulled on the staples used to close up the muscles as they were finishing up, but it is normal pain and not to worry.  Took it easy for a few days and was getting better, but this past week have been sick from allergies.  Coughing and sneezing were not my friends!! 

At one wk post-op apt Dr said I could try scrambled eggs and cottage cheese and if I tolerated those, I could slowly add in other foods as tolerated.  Because I wasn't feeling good, did not try many new foods.  Did well with a scrambled egg, cottage cheese was my friend , tried some tuna and some chicken salad.  I think I ate the chicken salad too fast because I felt like I was about to get sick, but I didn't.  It is SO HARD not to take a drink when that happens.

Have lost 30 lbs since pre-op apt and re-taped myself tonight and had great results!  I posted those on the RNY forum as well as on my blog.

Would love to hear how everyone else has been doing!

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
dancandie
on 7/5/11 10:08 pm - NC
It sounds like you are doing great.  I wish I could try scrambled eggs in one week post op.  My doctor has me on a full liquid diet for 2 weeks, then I get some of the good stuff.  I am only 6 days out.  At first, I felt really bad and not doing well at all.  Now, I am feeling more like me.  I have more energy and so forth.  I wish you all the best in the upcoming journey.   

Renee A.
on 7/6/11 5:32 am - GA
 My surgery was on 6/27/11 so I am 9 days post op.  I too had some rough days in the beginning but am feeling better each day.  I have problems with nausea particularly in the morning when I first wake up.  Thank goodness my surgeon let me go to pureed foods after 7 days!  This is day 2 of pureed and am doing okay with it.  It's important I think to make sure to eat slowly.  My dietician said at least 30 mins per meal which is long considering you are only eating 6 to 10 tbsp of food.  For some reason too I am having problems digesting milk.  Have never had problems with milk.
 Renee    
princessfrogee
on 7/6/11 6:22 am - AL
I have heard that some people become lactose intolerant after surgery.  Some are only that way for the first few months and others are for the long haul.  Hopefully you won't have problems long term.  Are you drinking regular milk or skim?

mlyssa971
on 7/6/11 8:23 am
I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. I am much better the 1st week or 2 after were awful. I was not able to return to work 2 days after surgery as I had planned which has thrown my budget into a tail spin. It was acutally a week and 4 days after before I could return. I had my post op yesterday I am down 22lbs from surgery 32 total. My g-tube stays until 7/20. I can not wait to get it out its hurts something awful at times. Im eating scrambled eggs with grits and some soups just chew chew and chew some more. had a tiny bit of my grandsons chicken nugget and did fine but got scared to do more. Glad all the junies are doing so well.

Renee A.
on 7/6/11 11:16 am - GA
I had been drinking skim milk (lactaid). The dietician recommended the lactaid in the beginning for all of us.
princessfrogee
on 7/6/11 1:03 pm - AL
Oh Sorry to hear that.  Hopefully it doesn't stay that way.  I am not a milk drinker at all, but I have the Carnation breakfast w/milk once in a while and have done ok with that.  We use 2% milk usually and I had bought a small jug of 1% for me to use and have tried both since surgery and have done fine so far.  Crossing fingers....

Renee A.
on 7/7/11 12:00 am - GA
 Thanks!  I will try again to bring it back in to my diet as time goes on.  Hope you are doing well
 Renee    
kim_in_alabama
on 7/7/11 3:45 am

Hey there,
I went for my 2 week check up yesterday and I lost a told 30lbs.  Yes.  I see it in my face mostly double chin becoming single again. lol....

I told them about the pain on my left side and they told me it's normal from them moving everything around and the tools and such.  Asked if I had been taking ibuprofen (children Motrin)  I said no because of what I was told on the board that RNY's can't take it.  She was like yes you can and you can digest it and it will help the swelling go down and I will heal faster.  OK, that's good cause this pain hurts so bad sometime and I will be returning to work on Monday and I can't take liquid loratab at work (I can see it now, no on would get paid).  
I am on mushy food, scramble eggs, mash potatoes, mushy tuna fish etc.  I was told drink 4oz of protein for breakfast, and lunch and eat a mushy dinner and in between all that drink water or no sugar drinks.  I had mash potatoes for lunch yesterday 4 forks and I was done.  Dinner 3oz of tuna salad.   Did a family walk yesterday.  Now my side is hurting.  So glad when this thing stops.  I healing well and I'm almost done with class and getting ready to move the end of the month.  Then school starts for the kids...ugggggg  I think I'm going to have cream of chicken soup.  don't feel  like chewing today.   

HW:306  SW:291  CW: 265  GW:165      
Renee A.
on 7/7/11 8:41 am - GA
 Wow Kim, that's great!  30 lbs already and it sounds like you are very active too.  I need to be a little more active I think.  Went out to the garden this morning and only lasted about 15 minutes.  I'm surprised that your doc said ibuprofen was okay.  Mine said never again should I take ibuprofen.  They said it can cause an ulcer more easily in patients having RNY.  

Glad you are doing well!
 Renee    
Most Active