not losing weight.

dancandie
on 7/11/11 9:05 pm - NC
I have went one week and have not lost a pound of weight....Has this happened to anyone else?  Any suggestions

Beda40
on 7/12/11 10:15 am - Florham Park, NJ
My husband had GB on June 15th and hasn't lost anything in a week either. He's really frustrated but it happens. I had GB almost 2 years ago and it does happen. It's frustrating, yes but don't stress over it. You'll start losing again soon.  I lost 145 pounds in a year and so far I've kept it off. I would love to lose another 20 but I'm happy where I am regardless.  Good luck!!  Just remember, it's all worth it!
princessfrogee
on 7/12/11 2:08 pm - AL
Yes!!  OMG!!  The first two wks I was losing 3-5 lbs a day it seemed and suddenly it all came to a screeching halt.  I have gone up and down 2 lbs this whole week, but basically the same.  The only thing that saved me from really going off the deep end over it was I had tape measured myself the same day of my pre-op and re-taped myself one month later, which was about two wks post-op.  Then again at my 3 wk post-op date.  I have lost 5 1/2 inches in my stomach and 3 1/2 in my hips/butt.  So THAT helped a lot to see those figures.  So i am losing inches, but not lbs.  You would think with those figures it would be showing on the scale, but it hasn't.   Hopefully this next week we see lower numbers. 

I think it was frustrating also, because I was about to be excited over being under the 300 lbs mark, but then it goes back up to like 300.4 then down to 298. something...UGH!  I expected this further out, but not THIS soon!  ha ha 

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
princessfrogee
on 7/12/11 2:15 pm, edited 7/12/11 2:16 pm - AL
Also, what are you allowed to eat right now?  I also figured this may be partly due to so many stay on liquid diet several wks, then puree, THEN soft foods, but my Dr sent me home from hosp. on full liquids and at one wk post-op apt he said I could go straight to soft foods, then add things slowly as I tolerated them.  I figure I may be getting in more calories than others do at this point.

I have tolerated most everything I have tried.  My breakfast is usually a Greek Yogurt, usually 1/2 c either cottage cheese for lunch or two paper thin slices of deli ham rolled up with a slice of cheese and depending on what the family is having for dinner, I try to get a little of what they are having to try new things. 

If you are getting in all your protein and water, that should help.

dancandie
on 7/13/11 10:27 am - NC
Thanks for the input.  I am still not losing.  i am 14 days out and I am on pureed and some real soft foods.  I usually eat greek yogurt for breakfast, cottage cheese for lunch and mash potatoes for dinner.  I started the cottage cheese 2 days ago.  I just started the mash potatoes today.  I am getting all my protein, but the water is hard.  I am getting 50 oz of liquid, but some of it is the protein shakes made with water.  about 38 is water.  It is just frustrating to go through all this and deny myself of all the foods I love and not lose weight.  I want to lose. 

thanks again. 

purplepeace79
on 7/15/11 6:44 am - Bronx, NY
Potatoes are probably the worst thing you could be eating right now, IMO. Nothing but carbs. Remember the body burns carbs first, then fat, then protein. You want your body to burn the fat now, so try to keep you carbs under 30 each day, 40 max.

Also, are you eating flavored greek yogurt? Non fat plain is what you want to focus on. You can change the flavor by getting low carb flavored protein powder and mixing it in. It will also increase your protein intake. Chobani plain is 18g protein + 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein at like 23-25g = a protein packing snack.

Get more than 64 oz of water. That should be your bare minimum goal.

Shoot for 75-90G of protein a day, not the 60G minimum.
Are you exercising?

Try to walk as fast as you can for 30 minutes each day. I'm now walking about 2 miles a day at a 19 min/mi pace, down from the 25 minute pace I had last week. Not my normal 15 but I'm getting there. I havent weighed myself in a week because my scale broke (it clocked my 45 lb son in at 128 lbs o_O). 

Hope that helps.
SW: 364  Surgery Date: 6.21.11 *VSG*  LifeOfANappyHeadedFatChic.tumblr.com

princessfrogee
on 7/13/11 1:30 pm - AL
There is a parent at the gym my kids do BJJ at that had WLS about 6-8 wks before mine and was talking to him tonight about this early "stall" and he said he lost 30 lbs the first month, 30 the 2nd and he just went to his Dr today and only lost 4 lbs in this past month.  He said the Dr told him that these early stalls are our bodies way of catching up to the rapid weightloss.  Of course you are probably like me and thinking my body was just getting started!  ha ha  I am just gonna try to relax and not think about it and wait it out.  I know eventually it will start melting off again. 

Tried something new tonight.  Took part of a can of Vegetable Soup (if I remember rightly it has 4g protein, will have to doublecheck that) and added 1/3 c. of canned chicken breast meat (12g protein)and that comes to 16g protein.  Didn't mean to make that much, so will use other half of it for lunch tomorrow.  It tasted pretty good.  I added some broth to it as it was kind of thick for me, but tasted good. 

TraceyBrown
on 7/26/11 12:36 pm - NJ
I am 4 weks post op today. I lost 25lbs. in 3 weeks and have lost nothing since. I have been looking around the site and have found that many people experience the sudden stop at around 3 weeks. They all say you will start losing again, although I too find it very frustrating. Good luck to you.
mlyssa971
on 7/27/11 7:40 am
I don't weigh every week. It would drive me INSANE I know I've only lost 1.4lbs this week because of a dr's visit. I have 131lbs to go and if I check my weight all the time I would be a nutcase. Oh wait. I'm already a nutcase but I'm still trying not to obsess about the scale
Alba
on 7/31/11 2:09 pm - Renton, WA
You folks are encouraging to me.  I am in the same position.  Weight has been stable for the past week, which is week 4 since surgery.  I have begun soft foods, and am eating a lot more calories than I did with shakes or pureed food.  Am tempted to go back to shakes!!
Alba Tross
         "Fake it til you make it."

Most Active