HYPOGLYCEMIA

deb44m
on 2/2/06 8:43 am - BUFFALO, NY
Hi all, I had open RNY July-2002.Recently,I have been having the shakes and feeling dizzy.My Dr.Sent me for tests and said that I have low blood sugar but I am not a diabetic.My Dr. Said that when I feel like that,I should eat something.Dr.Also said to eat 5-7 small meals a day.Has anyone been diagnosed with hypoglycemia since there gastric bypass? Please get back with me and e-mail me at [email protected] thank you so.......Much.
jewelcrown
on 3/25/06 8:37 am
Hi Debra: Please don't take hypoglycemia lightly... see my post from about a month ago: Almost 20 months post op and I'm down a net, 105. I'm headed in the right direction, but not without drama. This weekend I had a serious wake up call. I literally passed out on the floor and hit my head and scared my daughter to hyperventilating tears. It all started with a candy bar someone had offered me at my daughter's basketball game on Saturday. Mentally, I knew I couldn't and shouldn't have it. Like the sugar junky I am, I took it. It made me sleepy. No problem, I went to bed when I got home. After about two hours of slumber, I had no sense of time. The clock registered 6:30... I thought it was 6:30 am. I heard my daughter in the kitchen and went to see why she was up so early on what I thought was Sunday morning (it was still actually Saturday afternoon). I saw her standing in the kitchen in her jeans. I assumed she went to bed without putting on her pajamas. I asked her why she wasn't in bed and why doesn't she have her pajamas on. The girl looked at me as if I was crazy. She said mom, it's only 6:30. Okay, now that I know what time it really is, I'm still feeling tired, so I turn to go back to bed. I never make it. Somewhere between my bedroom and the hardwood floor in the hallway I collapsed. I awoke to the sound of my daughter screaming into the phone with emergency 911. I don't know how long I had been laying there with blood coming from my head. I was able to get up and calm my daughter down. The emergency folks came and determined that my blood sugar was low. It registered 59. The question is how can my blood sugar be low when I ate a candy bar just 2 hours before. I call my doctor's emergency line and they've informed me that my blood sugar was probably below 30, but by the time the 911 folks arrived it had adjusted itself upward. The candy bar took me on a sugar rollercoaster ride. It took me high and dropped me LOW! The moral of this long story is to follow instructions... even though I don't dump in the traditional manner, my body does have a negative reaction to sugar. I have been scared straight... and I am now on the full compliance train. It's sad I had to hit the floor to get there... However, I am a first class passenger. All the best... Denise
musicmomkf
on 7/2/06 1:45 am - SAn Diego, CA
The only thing I can say is when the doctor says you should "eat something" it doesn't mean eat anything. Protein is the only way to go. Eat lots of protein- and not protein drinks as they have way too much sugar- eat some meat or cheese or egg. My mom has hypoglycemia and she swears by a high protein, low carb diet and stay away from all sugars- even fruit. Eat lots of veggies if you feel like munching. Good luck, Kathy
deb44m
on 7/6/07 11:51 pm - BUFFALO, NY
hi, here it is 5yrs today and im still having the shakes and my elbows will feel weak.if i eat something ill feel alittle better.i always thought that when your sugar is low you need to eat something sweet.
Most Active
Recent Topics
CHECKING IN -BEEN ALONG TIME
deb44m · 0 replies · 633 views
3+ years post op - slow gaining
Becky M. · 2 replies · 636 views
HYPOGLYCEMIA
deb44m · 3 replies · 1072 views
Hi Everybody, I'm now 3 y...
Patricia R. · 0 replies · 510 views