Wow...5 YEARS...and Up 20#...ugh!

MinnieMia
on 7/17/09 7:09 am - SC
I can't believe it's been 5 years ago this week that my life totally changed.  For the better, of course!  I have said for the last 5 years that I would never tell someone to have WLS becuase it's such a personal decision and requires so much commitment but if I had to have it every Saturday for the rest of my life to keep the life I've found since I'd do it in a heartbeat.  For me it was the start of my real life.

I went from 275ish at my highest all the way down to 123.  I looked like a darn lollipop at 123, though...just a stick with a big round head!  So I made a natural bounce back up to 128-132 and I felt and looked fabulous.  I stayed right there without any real effort for the next 3 years.  BUT...That said...in the last 9 months or so I have made an UNnatural bounce all the way back up to 157!  I was down to 153 today but I'm struggling with the idea that I'm going to gain it ALL back. 

Last month I panicked and joined Nutrisystem but I'm not doing so hot.  I like the concept and frankly it's way more convenient than what I was doing on my own but I'm not seeing the kinds of results I want.  I just ran across the 5DPT and I'm definitely doing the liquid thing this weekend to get a jump start on my renewed commitment to myself. 

Anybody else in the same position as me?  Anybody else feel like a complete jerk for whining that you're a size 6?  Remember when you were a size 26??  I now understand all those actresses obsessing over 5 pounds.  It really makes a difference when you only weigh 130 or so!

Just needed to come back to basics and I remembered how OH message boards literally got me through the first 2 years after my surgery.  It was almost an obsession!  I missed my touchstone... 

Happy anniversary to all of us remade in July 2004!
Much love and hope!
NadineM
on 8/27/09 1:52 am - Vancouver, WA

Hi Mia,
YES I AM UP 30# Uhhhggggg!!! Arrrgggg! Well I know exactly how you feel I was highest before surgery 226 approx and size 22 and then got all the way down to 106# people all commented I looked too thin....but I was happy and went out and bought a whole new wardrobe and actually has issues trying to find things to fit in size 0 ,,,,,,I was estatic then all the sudden last 2 years 10# then another 10# and now another 10# and can't seem to get it down as easy as I thought it would be? I do know I don't work out as much as I used to and I am having a few more glasses of wine then I used to......LOL So, I need to get back to healthy eating and exercising. I'm thinking of doing Medifast for 1 month....that also may kick start it...Hang in there sounds like many of us are in the same boat....!

Hugs! and Well wishes...Nadine

Traci K.
on 9/7/09 10:31 am - Sullivan, MO
Hi ladies
Yep, I know exactly how you two feel. I'm up 13 lbs, and had I ever gotten down to 120 or 130, I might not be so upset at a 13 lb gain; but I'm about 5'4" now (I've shrunk 2 inches due to osteoporosis) and lowest I ever got was 143 and that was only for about 2 weeks (literally) after my hernia surgery. I bounced back up to 149-152 and stayed there until a few months ago, and slowly the weight started creeping back on to my weight today of 163 lbs.

I too noticed a change in my activity level and knew I was making some less than wise food choices. So I'm getting back on track.  I'm planning on doing the 5DPT to help me get back on track.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Traci  <*)))><  | Sullivan, MO
Join My WLS4Health OH Group
Lap RNY  7/27/04
My blog:  http://wls4health.com

MinnieMia
on 9/8/09 2:17 am - SC

Well, it's good to know I'm not alone in this boat but darn I never thought I'd be here again.  I was so confident that the tool would always be there but the restriction is just not hte same.  And like you said above...there are a few more ****tails in my present than in my post WLS days which I completely understand are empty liquid calories. 

I am planning a trip to the Bahamas next month with my guy and I was APPALLED yesterday to bring home a size 12 swimsuit.  Now my size 8 in a different brand (that I bought 3 years ago when I was a solid 2-4) still fits so sizing is part of it but i"m squeezed into my size 6 suit today and hating every second of it.  Bless his heart, he is a guy.  He patted my expanded belly last night when I was trying on the cute dresses I bought for the trip and said "suck it in" and that was it...world war three, four and five all rolled into one.  He seriously had no idea what the problem was.   

I did the 5DPT and actually did just liquids for 6 or 7 days but it's so hard to have a normal life when you're just doing liquids so I slid back into solids.  And at this time of year for me it's really stressful so I'm totally stress eating.  And eating sweets which promptly make me sick which doesn't even curb my appetite for them.  Sick sick sick!  I looked at myself in the mirror today and to me I look just like I did when I was a size 26.  Now I'm a 6-8 but you know what I mean.  I'm fat again. 

I've got to get more active and drink more water and eat like a grown up.  Size 4 by 12/31/09 is my new goal...by whatever means necessary I'm losing 20-25 pounds...1 pound and one day at a time, though, right?

Thanks for the responses ladies.  I really needed to hear your perspectives.  Good luck on your continued journeys.
C

Traci K.
on 9/8/09 8:50 am - Sullivan, MO
I hear ya girl. I wish I would have ever gotten down to an 8. The lowest size I ever got to was a size 10 and that's when I weighed 143 lbs! I carry all my weight in my stomach, so that seems to effect what sizes I wear. I have always worn bigger sizes for what I weigh than others.

Now, I'm in a size 12/14 - depends on the cut. I also do not like anything even remotely tight on my stomach, so I refuse to wear anything tight. So I'm 20 lbs heavier than my all time low of 143; but I wasn't at 143 longer than a couple weeks and leveled off to around 150 and stayed there until a few months ago.

I haven't yet done the 5DPT, but I'm considering it, just to break the carb cycle and perhaps kickstart a couple pound weight loss.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lap RNY  7/27/04

Wendy W.
on 9/8/09 11:09 pm - Sandy Lake, PA
Traci,
I am going to be doing the 5DPT starting tomorrow. I am going out today to buy a new iPod and then I will be set for exercise and Wt loss!!!
I have gained back almost 25lbs and I MEAN BUSINESS now.....I am not going back to the OLD ME!! I liked the new me and have to get it together to stay there! Stress, school etc....whatever the cause I am going to have to find something besides food to deal with it!!

Traci K.
on 9/13/09 11:11 am - Sullivan, MO
How did you do with the 5DPT Wendy?

I've been doing both a home office workout AND our new Wii Fit. :) Just haven't done the 5DPT yet.
Lap RNY  7/27/04

Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1062 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 963 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1047 views