Losing my faith in this

kizzie
on 9/26/08 12:10 am - Canada
Since my surgery of July 27th I have lost a total of 5 lbs & that was because I really worked to diet those lbs off.  I have had 2 fills & can still pretty much eat however & whatever I want.  I am starting to think that I have spent a whole lot of money & spent a whole lot of time psyching myself up for a very large disappointment - just another promise by the diet industry to suck losers like me in. I do have another appointment for another fill in 1 week but I am betting that that will be a bust as well.  I'm starting to wish I had never heard of this
zlynnc
on 9/26/08 7:18 am - BEAUFORT, NC
I don't know what kind of follow up diet you are on but lap banders have it alittle harder than us by pass patients.  If you have had 2 fills I assume your doctor is aware that you have lost only 5 pounds.  My feelings it should be more but that depends on what you are eating.  Remember slider foods, foods that are soft and creamy like potatoes, breads, puddings, ice cream and such, these are high carb and calorie and don't fill you up.  But in any event they should of questioned this.  I would be calling them and asking whats up and give you another fill!!  It may take more for you.  It seems for lap banders everyone is so different on how much of a fill they need to find the right amount.  Have you tried the Lap band forum?  Do you know any of your Doctors other patients that you can compare your fills with?  You can find them in your state forum?  Lap band does work and it works very well with a followed diet!  You haven't failed, I just believe they haven't given you enough of a fill and I would certainly tell them that.  Go back tell them to really tighten it.  If it is too tight you can go back and have some removed.  Good Luck!

Beginning weight: 284  
Surgery weight: 251
Current weight: 149

tabjeffrey
on 9/28/08 11:23 am - Central Bridge, NY
hi my name is Terry and my lap band surgery was on july 21st and ive since had three fills going on my 4th fill and as of now I do not feel any different after my 3rd fill i felt some restriction but only lasted for a few days.
          only lost four pounds

terry
lchops
on 9/30/08 1:25 pm - williamsburg, VA
hi I was a day after you and have only lost 12 lbs now but I am still keeping my bad habits of overeating, not working out...so lets start over tomorrow together and no cheating...and start working out and go from there
ohbearly
on 10/14/08 2:25 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
My surgery was 7/16 and the story is about the same. A friend had his surgery 3 months earlier and he has been losing like a maniac since day 1. I have lost 17 pounds post-op and it has been flat for 2 months now. I have had 2 fills with little restriction, maybe for 2 days. My 3rd is Friday. I am hoping it makes a difference. I am going to see if the surgeon can step up his schedule. I am ready for restriction.

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

brneyes
on 11/1/08 1:52 pm - Lynnwood, WA
My 3rd fill will be on Tuesday, and it has been a white knuckle 3+ months.  Luckily I have a great nutrionist group that are very supportive and I also see a counselor to help with the "head" hunger and the issues that make me eat. You can't do this journey alone.  You have to find a supportive group on your side. I don't have family except for 2 grandkids and an elderly mother, so I had to find those who can help me.  I'm also self pay so I won't let myself fail in this.  

I guess what I'm going to say is hang in there and find those who can help you.  The lapband forum on this site is a great resource.

Good luck. 
Brittany84
on 12/2/08 12:08 am

I had my surgery at the end of July also. I go for my 4th visit (maybe my 4th fill) on Saturday. I have lost around 40 lbs. Make sure your eating your protien first. I notice that when I eat like soups or mushie foods I can eat like 3 or 4 cups! No kidding, but when I eat solid protien I can usually feel satisifed within a few bites. I think I have 5.4cc's is my 10cc band.

Make the band work for you! It does work......My surgeon likes to see me every month regarless if im losing, need a fill ect... I also meet with a nut at the same visit. Keep a food diary for the first 2 months and see if that helps. my doc says that I need to be under 60 carbs (40 for faster loss) and keep protien around 60-80 grams....they say that fat should be around 35 grams...but mine tends to be a lot higher becuase I eat a ton of cheese!

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/08 5:25 am
I had my surgery on July 31st 2008 - What a nightmare this has been although I haven't given up.  I've lost NO weight but I've gained about 10 lbs.  I think I went the wrong direction.  What happened to me was I went 5 times for fills from my Dr. and really never got any restriction until I was at a 5cc….  THEN I told him that I felt I could eat more than I should and he went very aggressive and filled me to a 6.5.  I couldn’t swallow water at his office so I went and told them and he took me into the room and took out 1cc which left the additional .5 so I was at a 5.5….  BUT…that night I was still unable to swallow water or even my spit and I called the Dr’s office first thing the next morning which was a Friday.  I told the receptionist what was happening and the pain I was in and she said to wait a couple of days and it should get better.  NOPE….It got worse if that is possible so by Sunday morning I called the Dr. emergency number and he said to get to the hospital asap to get completely unfilled…  So I did that and what a horrible experience that was.  The doctor there wasn’t real good with lapbands and totally bruised my whole stomach by probing and proding  - It was a nightmare.  So after all that I had to wait 3 weeks to heal.  So the story continues…  I go back again to the Dr. to start the process all over again.  And I asked if he could at least put me back at a 5cc because I knew that was a good starting point.  OH NO…  He put me at a 4cc and I have absolutely NO restriction.  It’s been so much of a game that I just got tired of him and his office staff.  Just very very unprofessional so I have switched Dr’s.  I am praying that the new Dr. can help me. I go next week and I am just so excited.  This just has to work.  Nothing else I've done has worked for me. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
THREE YEARS!!
THENEWLAURA · 1 replies · 1636 views
Anniversary
Ms TJ P. · 1 replies · 739 views
Today is my 2 year Rebirth date
Renee W. · 1 replies · 859 views
TWO YEARS DOWN!
THENEWLAURA · 0 replies · 776 views
Coming up on 2 years out.
Mandy_ · 2 replies · 754 views