freaking out!!! surgery on july 29th

katielady1123
on 7/18/10 1:01 pm - Opelousas, LA
OK, i am freaking out my surgery date is July 29th i am on the liquid diet and freaking out!!  i keep second guessing myself thinking am i doing the right thing, what am i doing, i was not able to do it on my own why would i be able to do it now.   Anyone out there that has had the surgery that can help calm my nerves please help!!  
C3m13p16
on 7/18/10 2:59 pm - Knoxville, TN
I'm just as nervous as you are.  My surgery is the 26th and I am going over everything in my head.  I'm on the liquid diet and I even gained weight on it.  Seriously freaking out.  I think the weight gain is because I always gain 10lbs the wk of my period.  We have been througheverything else and we just have to remember that this is something we've never tried before.  this is going to physically make us change our habits.  It's going to be a positive that is going to make our lives better in the long run.  We have to remember that this is a tool.  Just like a gym membership, if you don't use it you won't lose it.  Try and find someone that is going through it or already finished it and is there to lean on.  If you don't have anyone I am always here to write to, or you can call me (I can e-mail a phone # to you).  I found that a friend of my mom actually had the surgery and she took me out and talked for a few hours.  She is 2yrs post op and loving it (RNY).  She had us meet at a Panera Bread and she actually ordered a bread bowl.  I was shocked.  She had a vegitable soup and only ate part of the top part of the bowl, but I was astonished that she was doing it .  Apparently we will be able to eat again, just in moderation.  We can do this.  I ramble a lot, but sometimes it's to calm myself down as well.  I went to a b-day party tonight and there was steak, guacamole, salsa, homemade tortillas, tres leches cake, ect. and I sat there with water as everyone was eating and trying to get me to eat.  I finally started telling everyone about what I was doing and they were really excited for me.  They were amazed I had already lost as much as I had (40-50lbs depending on the mood of the scale).  We are doing the right thing and taking the steps needed to get better.  Remember there are thousands of people here on this site that have already gone through this and are here for support.  Goodluck!! and sorry for being so long winded.  :)

Christina

macamper
on 7/19/10 6:45 am - Roanoke, VA
Well i am freaking out to my surgery is July 28th. I have second guessed myself to but i still want to have it. It may suck at first but it doesnt last forever. u will do great u pray for me and i will for u good luck,
Kiki_Conroy
on 7/19/10 7:52 am - Canada
Hi!  My surgery is scheduled for July 30, and I too am super nervous and also second-guessing.  I heard that that's perfectly normal (doesn't make it any easier, though).  On the flipside, though, I know I can't keep living the way I'm living right now, so anything that'll help is worth having done.  I know that if I were to change my mind and not get the surgery, I'd kick myself for the rest of my life - in all actuality, the surgery and recovery are but a blip in time of your entire life, and in a few years, you'll look back and it'll all be a faint memory.
Hotdiva
on 7/19/10 8:34 am - Ithaca, NY
7-19-10

Hi,

I had surgery on 7-29-02, nearly eight years ago. I will be praying for you and with you during this difficult time. My journey was not an easy one. Feel free to take a look at my blog and my page and if you want to chat, I'd love to.

Sincerely,

Diva

P.S. I have recently, in the past 10 months, lost 200 lbs. The surgery is a tool.
Neeser_293
on 7/20/10 2:18 am - Syracuse, NY
I'm scheduled for the 31st, so I understand completely.  I keep asking myself one question:  "Where will I be in 1 year from today without this surgery?" 

That usually gets be back on track!
jojoca
on 7/20/10 3:21 am - United Kingdom
Hi
I am also having surgery on the 29th of July.  I have been OK up until today, but now am freaking out. I keep telling myself that I have proved time and time again that I can't do this on my own, that this is the right decision for me and that I am investing in my future. But am still freaking out!!!! 
Jo
drkangel101
on 7/21/10 7:45 am - lawrenceville, GA
Hi everyone, I just wanted to  give u guys a little encouragment and pass on what has been given to me, I just had my surgery on Monday July 19th I got home yesterday . I too was second guessing myself furing me pr-op diet especially since I cheated  first I had scrambled eggs which wasn't too bad of a cheat  but I was only aloud chkn, turkey, fish, an salad non starch veggies. I then cheated with chinese food one night and paid for that ended right in the bathroom. so I ws freaking out  what if I don't shrink my liver ect... I couldnt egt protein  in, beating myself  up for cheating  if  i cnt do it now how am I gonna do it after  ect.. no point on beating your self up it is different after because your not as hungry.

I was a little nervouse when I got to the hospital more so because my husband was running late but I went ahead I had the surgery , I woke up to my husband  saying "baby" the best words ever!!! lol  I was in  too much pain and I  still do not have a whole lot of pain my incisions are a little sore but  not  too much.  The gas is ridiculous, that has caused me more pain then anything, im telling u it is something aweful  so make sure u ask f******eds if u need it, and  I only used the pain pump 7 times and your allowed 6 times an hour so that tells u I wasnt in too much pain. Most of the time when I pushed it is was because of the gas and I was trying to sleep. make sure you bring a pillow to use on your ummy on the ride home I wish I had that  on the way home.  I  went straight upstairs to my room when I got home, I was up every hours last night Iguess do  to the hospital schedule even on pain meds and eventually ended up sleeping in the chair down stair with my feet proped on another chair. The best  position was when I took a nap a little while ago  I laid on my bed on my side that helped so much!! I am feeling alot better this after noon and the gas is  finally going away slowly but its going!

So i know you guys are freaking out but know that you made this desicion for a reason and trsut and believe in  the choice you made , just as there are risks going into this surgery there are risks at you staying obese! The rsik of you dieing in a car accident is alot higher then this surgery.I know that I made the  right choice for me and all though I got a little nervous and began to doubt myself I knew that I had to find that inner strength and do this for me  and I couldnt not let my fear or my families fear stop me from doing what I felt I needed to for me.I am still happy with my choice as of right now , now when I was gaging  my head off  I did say ok  what was I think but that passed and I am sure I will hae many many more moments like that but  I  see a light at the end of the tunnle for the first time in a really long time! I see hope for my future and I see happiness , I see me living my life again for the first time in 10 years and for me  thats means so much !! good luck to you all and know that everyone is here for support  an dthere are such great people here! I hope I helped a little bit .

brendasd
on 7/21/10 9:45 am - Sedalia, MO
Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I am feeling a little better now.   I am have the RNY surgery on Friday, July 23rd and I am starting to get nervous.  I am glad that I'm not the only that struggled through the pre-op diet.  During the week was okay because I work long days, but the weekend was tough.  I struggled but I made it with only eating a few frozen peas.  I did lose 20 pounds on the pre-op diet but I don't know how.  I am excited about my new life to come also.  Good luck and stay healthy!
Brenda Sue
katielady1123
on 7/22/10 12:54 pm - Opelousas, LA
I am not freaking out as much as i was but still nervous.   I know this is the right thing to do but still my nerves.   This time next week i should be out of surgery.  Still a little unreal for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics