need to cheat on pre op diet...ADVICE PLEAZ

bonitachica9679
on 7/15/11 10:27 am - Huntington, WV
So I have been completly faithful on my pre op diet... the only sweets I've had in almost 2 weeks is sugar free jello and protien drinks. I've lost 10lbs since I started. My surgery is Monday. The problem is that I am dying for a real meal. I want to go to a chinese buffet so bad I can't stand it...just somthing as a final fairwell. Do u guys think cheating this once will effect my surgery or make me gain all the weight I lost back?
Butterfly17
on 7/15/11 10:48 am - Miami, FL
I asked the same at my office.  My nurse said since my BMI wasn't over 50 that I should try and follow the liquid diet with fidelity but one cheat wouldn't hurt. 
I know, I'm not on the bandwagon all the way yet myself. 

Good luck on Monday!
no_more_rolls
on 7/16/11 1:15 am - Jackson, MI
 I replied to your post several hours ago but my reply never showed up, so forgive me if 2 posts eventually do show.  My intent is not to "nag" you.

DON'T cheat!!!!  I can not stress how important it is for you not to cheat.  There have been people on this board that have been denied surgery because they cheated on their pre-op diet.  The purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver.  When you cheat, and eat the wrong foods your liver will not shrink properly.  That will increase your risk of bleeding or other complications during surgery.  Being that it is so close to your surgery date too, cheating is really not a good thing.  Many obese people have undiagnosed metabolic disorders and digest food very slowly.  The last thing you want is for your surgeon to open you up and find undigested food.  That just increased your surgery time, put you at very high risk for infection, and added potentially more complications.

I know how hard it is.  I recently did the pre-op diet myself for 16 days.  Hang in there, you can do it!  

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

bonitachica9679
on 7/16/11 9:25 am - Huntington, WV
Thank you so much for the advice and encouragment....I really need to hear what u said. I fought the urge last night and got on the treadmill till I was so exhausted I went to bed. This morning I got on the scale and was down 3lbs so I decided not to cheat. Then after the pool I really wanted to cheat again and that is when I saw your post. Thank you for giving the the courage to stay strong
no_more_rolls
on 7/16/11 12:38 pm - Jackson, MI
You are most welcome 
I know it is hard not to cheat.  I think most people are tempted to do it, especially when it is so easy to try to rationalize a good reason why.  You are doing great!  You're almost there, just keep you're eyes on the prize and before you know it you'll be on the loser's bench.  Good luck with your surgery Monday!  May you have a safe, speedy, and healthy recovery 

Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

shesha81
on 7/17/11 9:47 am, edited 7/17/11 9:48 am - Gardner, MA
I agree dont cheat, pre-op I really wanted to go eat at Texas Roadhouse but never made it there after my surgery I kinda felt like man I really wanted that and now all I can have is protien shakes for 3 weeks this sucks what did I do? It gets easier and really now, I am 11 days out and I am so glad that I did not go I dont need that junk anymore I already feel so much better!!! Just keep your head up and remember you are gonna have hard moments and hard days but stay strong and you will be able to do it, and it does get better and easier, reading as much as I can on this site helps a lot as well. Good luck with your surgery!!!
Ladyd01
on 7/17/11 12:53 pm
 Stay strong you won't regret it.  I am on my 7th day pre-op and have done well other then some pretty bad headaches.  I suppose it is withdrawal and they will pass.  I just can't imagine the 4 week diet of liquid protein and water.  4 weeks seems so long so I hope that flies by.  My surgery is Thursday the 21st and am getting real nervous.

Good luck to you....
Most Active
Recent Topics