regain!

Lisa G.
on 7/23/03 10:04 am - Kensington, CT
Ok folks: HELP! Any other 2 year post ops want to 'fess up about regaining , or am I REALLY the only one? I am so bummed and need a major pep talk. I was 219 this morning..up from 214...which was up from 206-208 ( I am 5'9) at xmastime. I am working ou****ching what I eat, etc. True, I DONT 'dump' very much at all, but I dont get this! What about the supposeldy malapsorptive properties of the RnY ???????? I am still so far from my goal of 180, I could cry. I can see going up by 2 or 3 pounds once in a while, b/c of pms, water weight, etc...........but I was STUNNED to see that I am almost 220 again. I mean, I was 215 only a WEEK ago! What gives?????? I do NOT want to be a failure at WLS!!!!!!!!!!!! Lisa in NY ( please email me privately if you wish at [email protected])
Heather D.
on 7/24/03 6:51 am - Green Bay, WI
Hi Lisa.... I had my surgery on 08/08/01......Up until about 3 months ago.....I had lost close to 160lbs......as of now....I've gained about 15lbs...it just keeps creeping up on me. I didn't think I had changed my eating habits...but the weight goes up!! Do you have any idea how much the Geocaris Drs bypassed on you? I was thinking compared to others who had the surgery after me....they must of done something different compared to my surgery. Others seem to have lost a bunch more than me...It's quite depressing I tell ya.... Anyway....I'd love to hear what you eat on a daily basis and what exercises, vitamins you're taking.... You can email me [email protected]. Thanks! Heather
Annie R.
on 7/25/03 12:00 am - Boise, ID
Me too! Go****hought I was the only one this soon out, (2 yrs). I quickly dropped 130 pounds and was stable for a long time. Then recently I noticed my jeans were really tight. I gained almost 15 pounds! So I decided to do the whole eating right/exercising right thing. After two weeks of doing this, I weighed myself this morning. I didnt drop one pound! Then it hit me... I didnt measure! So I did that this morning. I dont have a before to compare it too, I'll have to wait. But I have a question on the whole weight gain thing.. If it takes anyone 3500 calories to gain a pound, and we still cant eat as much as a 'normal' person, and malabsorb on top of that, HOW can we gain weight so easily? ANyhow, here's to us 2 year posties re-losing! Annie
macrobin
on 7/27/03 6:42 am
I too struggled with weight gain a few months back. I had my surgery in August 01. I had dropped from 315 to 165 and gained back up to 175. However, recently I started using the FitDay.com weight journal and started counting calories again. I realized that even though I was consuming mostly protein, I wasn't counting calories! Our bodies may need the protein but it doesn't need more calores, so we MUST count them to be successful long term! I have also started counting points on Weigh****chers. I have been on it a week today and have dropped 5 pounds in a week! If you need more information on this, please write me at: [email protected]! If I can do it, so can you!
Kim H.
on 8/21/03 3:06 am - Mobile, AL
I feel all of your pain!! I started out at 372 and my lowest weight was 155. Now I fluxuate from 164 to 167. It's very frustrating!!! One thing that everyone should have checked regulary is your Thyroid. I have been on Thyroid hormones for 12 to 13 years. Prior to the surgery I was hypo which is under active then to hyper to over active after the surgery. The last appointment I had my levels were off again. Your Thryoid is such an important part of weight loss. It controls your metabolism. Look it to!!! Also I have found that I am not eating properly. I can handle more sweets which is really bad! The demons do not go away. The food monster sits on my shoulder everyday. I got married in January and now I cook everyday for my husband and 2 step children. And being raised in the south....I can cook all the good home cooking and they love it. I find that I do it to please them. But, I'm not helping myself or them. All we can do is work harder. When I had surgery my doctor told me the key to it all was walking and water!!! Good luch everyone!
Gary H.
on 9/11/03 3:04 pm - round rock, TX
first of all, this is my first time to visit this area.... second, i am 2 yrs out also, aug 14th was my surgery date. i have total empathy for those of you regaining...i started at 387 got down to 193(i'm a 46 yo male btw) and thought i had things under control too. i was eating protein bars and solid protein mostly...i don't cheat on sugar or carbs...well the scale went up about 10 lbs on me, and while i was concerned i knew i was doing something wrong. i decided to cut back on my popcorn and protein bars. i went to protein shakes, joined the yahoo group for that and have learned a bunch. i've lost 15 lbs back now so i'm less than i've ever been. a couple of things about me....i have taken the approach that food is simply fuel...it's like putting gas in my car. i don't enjoy it, i don't want to enjoy it. for me i want it to be something i do because i have to...trust me, i am totally happy with this approach...people in my local surgery group marvel at me and how easy it is for me, i don't know, i just sort of took this approach from the very beginning and i do it...believe me i was a huge binge eater, ice cream a half gallon at a time...in two years i haven't cheated, no ice cream, no cake, no cookies, no candy...and i don't want it. i just do my protein shakes and enjoy life... that's my story, i don't know if it will help but i hope so...i stress to my local group members to focus on what you can do, not on what you can't. be kind to yourself, we all make mistakes. i used to tell myself on the way down, treat this day special because i will never have a better opportunity to lose than today...i still feel that way. and i believe it is possible to lose weight two years out. i don't want to come off as someone preaching here, that it's been easy for me, that i haven't worked my butt off etc. i have put a lot of effort and thought into my approach. i have a fear, a very big fear that i will gain it back. i never say "195 pounds gone forever"...nope, we can eat around this tool...but by following my plan of protein shakes and solid protein, i feel i can lose even more...i don't really want to but i could...but the fear is still there. i feel so bad for everyone who is gaining, so many in my group are doing the same...sorry to run on. i hope maybe something i said might be somewhat helpful.... good luck to all, gary
dtspoodle
on 8/25/04 1:23 am - Las Cruces, NM
Hi, Lisa: I had a proximal RNY done in August, 2001. I lost about 75 pounds. I needed to lose about 50 more, but decided I would be content with the 75 pound loss. I maintained that loss until about a year ago, when I started regaining. Have gained approximately 25 pounds. I am scheduled for a revision to DS on September 16th. I know this is a radical decision, but I'm scared to death of regaining all the weight I originally lost. Dale
debilc
on 4/23/13 9:25 am - Oak Harbor, WA

I am almost 5 years out and have gained back 30 pounds.  I am trying everything.  So it is good that you are working on it when you are.  Hang in there and don't stop fighting.  I am working hard on this and hopefully not only will I lose the regain but the extra amount to get to goal.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 Year update!
LIZA B. · 0 replies · 604 views
My nine year update
macrobin · 1 replies · 659 views
Where are you ladies?
thestylest · 0 replies · 754 views