4 years out and almost died!!!!

macrobin
on 2/11/06 3:56 am
Hey everyone! I don't come here much anymore now that I'm 4 1/2 years out, but I wanted to share with you what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was sitting at the computer when a horrible abdominal pain came over me and wouldn't leave. I waited 5 hours and the pain only got worse. My husband rushed me to the local ER and by that time I knew I was dying. I don't know how I knew that but I felt things shutting down in my body. I screamed the whole time I was there until they gave me something to sedate me. They tested me with a CT scan and many x-rays and blood work. The tests revealed I had two things wrong. One was pancreatitis which was caused by the main problem - a bowel obstruction! I had heard many horror stories about them and how scary it is when you have them. I remember one guy almost died from it. All I know is it is the most PAINFUL thing I've ever been through. They wouldn't let me eat or drink for 7 days straight and I kept dry heaving the whole time. Finally the general surgeon told me that if I didn't have emergency surgery I would die. So, I went under the knife again and he removed over 6 liters of fluid (a gallon and a half) from my abdomen. When I came to, he had put an NG tube in my nose (BIG NO NO) but he knew I had the GB surgery and knew to scope first. I also had an epidural for the first time in my life and it really helped with the pain. He told me that I almost died and he was glad that God helped him through my surgery. I knew I was dying but to hear him say that really shook me up. I'm just glad God took care of me through it! The funny thing is that they kept me on IV's that whole week and when I stepped on the scale the first time it said I weighed 228! OMG! I weighed 175 when I went in! Then, the second time I weighed after they took the IV's out, I weighed 200! I still freaked! By the time I got home, within a week I was weighing 180. After a week I'm down to 160 and I'm so thankful that the weight wasn't permanent! That's a hard way to lose 15 pounds but it feels really good to lose that weight again! I thought those 15 pounds I had gained were permanent! I took my measurements and they are the same as when I was 155 before so I'm elated! However, I'm still on the mend and my tummy is a little puffy still but I'm only 2 weeks out of surgery, so I know it will continue to go down! Anyway, the reason I posted this is that the bowel obstruction was caused by 'adhesions' that were on the sides of my intestine from the original GB surgery and TT I had years ago. When you have abdominal surgery of any kind (hysterectomy, gall bladder, etc.,) you have a much greater chance of having these adhesions. They act like fingers which wrap around your intestine and block off any flow of what is inside. When that happens, if you don't have surgery immediately, it CAN kill you! So, if you have any kind of abdominal pain after your surgery, don't just assume it is food poisoning like I did! Get to the ER within an hour or so and get x-rays done to make sure you are ok! Don't suffer and almost die like I did! God bless you all!
bzerm01
on 2/17/06 11:55 pm - Ford City, PA
Robin, I am sorry you had to go through all of that. I thought I might have a bowel obstruction once but thank God it wasn't. I am glad to hear that you are back on track with the weight loss again. Take care and keep us posted. God Bless you! Bobbi
Frances H.
on 11/8/06 6:37 am - Redding, CA
how much did you weigh to start with if you don't mind me asking
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 Year update!
LIZA B. · 0 replies · 602 views
My nine year update
macrobin · 1 replies · 655 views
Where are you ladies?
thestylest · 0 replies · 751 views