Hi August 2004 surgery buddies!! How are you doing? Any Issues???

divine1
on 12/26/12 9:35 am - KS

I haven't been to Obesity Help in about 5 years. I did so much better when I visited here often and stayed "plugged in." I was 352 pre surgery, got down to 176 and became anemic. Gained up to 249 last summer. I am now at 210 and a size 16 or large. I feel pretty good at this weight and am now dealing with menopause and thyroid issues along with low vit. B12 which I get monthly injections for. My personality seems to be changing and not for the netter. I seem irritable and emotional a lot and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Am not sure if it is rny related or something else.

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Much Love.

pattyking
on 1/9/13 4:16 am - FL

Happy New Year!  I have been a member since the beginning of 2004 and had my surgery on August 4th, 2004. I can not believe it has been 8 1/2 years. Congratulations on your remarkable weight loss. I think you have done great and you should not doubt your success.  It is never an easy journey and many factors can influence our scales. I am 55 years old and have quite a few chronic health issues as well as being post menopausal. I started an estrogen patch a year ago and it has helped me tremendously. Talk to your doctor.

I had put on about 10-12 pounds over the past 2 years, but have lost about 10 pounds over the past 6-7 months. I just went back to the basics and stopped eating the minute I felt full. Now I eat 5-6 times a day, but really small portions and again, I quit when I get full. I just started going to the gym again also. Just started that for the new year.  Hope I can keep it up. I lost so much muscle tone it isn't funny. Hope to tone up and get my head in a better place as well.

It was really nice to hear from someone from long ago who is still keeping on. I miss my support group and the support that comes with the initial weight loss journey. Would love to get some regular feed back/support from others who are further down the road and any words of wisdom from a veteran WLS patient. . Good luck and hope you start feeling better soon.

Take care,

Patty M.

cathyarcher
on 1/14/13 2:52 am - Plainview, TX

I also had surgery in Aug 2004 and I have been wondering how others have been since then  too! I haven't been on this site in years but I have been telling my sister what a great site it is at the beginning of our journeys! I started at 295-300lbs and lost to 145lbs for 2.5 seconds!!! I gained up to 180 and immediately went back to basics! My Dr had said that often patients will gain 10-20% of the total you lost. I float between 169-174lbs.and it is still an everyday struggle. I prayed I would NEVER forget I had the surgery and my prayers were answered (now sometimes I wish they hadn't been answered! LOL!) I still get sick when I eat too fast or too much! I don't exercise as I did after the first few months but I am still much healthier than I was 8 1/2 yrs ago! In the past I would get so annoyed when I heard people say they would like to lose ~20lbs and here I am saying it now. But it seems this is the weight my body is comfortable with and I was told by medical professionals that the number is not that important that our body will get to a  particular size and that is ok. I feel pretty good at this weight and eat what I want to but not as much as I want to! My sister had her RNY Dec 21, 2012 and is struggling with hers so I guess we all are so different. She is losing fast but she throws up everyday! So here it is a new year I hope you will be able to start with that in mind and get back to where you feel better about yourself! You did awesome losing 1/2 your total weight! WOW! That was alot of weight to loose! So you can do it again!!! Hang in there and deal with ONE DAY AT A TIME!

blondieblueeyes
on 7/21/13 3:43 am - Cincinnati, OH

Hi there!... My RNY was done almost 9 yrs ago and I was 400 pre surgery and now im about 160 and am currently wearing a size 10 jean and about to drop down to an 8 :) . I have had very little problems .. I am anemic and I did develop an intestinal blockage which i got taken care of and everything is great!  The only problem I really have is I cant afford Plastic surgery so i have some extra skin left that I HATE! i also battled with low B12 also which I gave myself shots and I havent really had any other problems. I wish you all the best!

Hugs to you!

christine

Most Active