3yrs Post Op Loss of Appetite

Deborah A.
on 9/1/08 6:27 am - Hanford, CA
Hello All,

I am 3 years Post-Op from RNY and I was just wondering if any of you out there have experienced a loss of appetite or an inability to complete a full meal.  I just don't seem to feel hungry any more.  I just make myself eat because I know that missing meals is a no no.  Also although I eat small amounts at meal time ( Protein 1st, Veg. or Fruits 2nd, Carbs if any 3rd) I can't seem to get through the whole meal.  By the time I have eaten half of it I feel full and have to quit.  Although this may seem like a Godsend to some I am concerned because I am afraid I am now eating too little for the amount of nutrients I need for the day.  I take vitamins, calcium etc.  Is this normal?  Does it go away after a whileor should I even be concerned?  Thanks for the advice.

BobbiP
on 10/22/08 9:55 am
I am having the same problem.  I had my surgery on Aug 27th 2005 and lost 100 lbs.  I am not as careful as I should be about what I eat but it really doesn't matter.  Everything makes me feel awful.  I don't know what to do.  I take a few bites and then I get a burning, bloated feeling that lasts for a few hours. 
rollins21
on 12/31/08 9:08 am - cincinnati, OH
You may want to have your gull bladder checked. I had similar symptoms, and mine had to be removed.
Dawn B.
on 1/8/09 2:10 pm - Anderson, CA
You may have an ulcer as well. We're prone to them post-op. I know my gallbladder attacks were in the middle of the night on an empty stomach. When it hurt after eating it was usually because I went too long between meals. You shouldn't be feeling bad for a couple of hours after every meal, unless of course it's high in carbs &/or sugar, in which case it's probably dumping. Good luck.

Dawn   5'7" 258/142
'What's important is not necessarily where you are, but in what direction you are going.' Oliver Wendel Holmes

Dawn B.
on 1/8/09 2:12 pm - Anderson, CA
Did you every get over it? I know I go in cycles where I seem to be able to eat as much as everyone else at a meal and other times where a fried egg fills me up. If you're not losing weight I wouldn't be too worried and just be sure you take your vitamins and see your doctor for annual blood work. Hope you're doing well.

Dawn   5'7" 258/142
'What's important is not necessarily where you are, but in what direction you are going.' Oliver Wendel Holmes

Most Active
Recent Topics