Failing WLS and need help

Kimberly T.
on 1/29/09 11:03 pm - Uniontown , OH
Good Morning.

Oh my, I have not been active in here for a very long time. Ok let me get to the point. I had RNY Gastric August 29, 2005. So I am about 6 months short of 4 years. And I am gaining. I can't seem to stop it. I made it down to 178 lbs. And I now am at 204. My appetite is back full force.
I seemed to have failed at this because I lost my insurance only 3 short months after having this surgery and to this day have not been able to get insurance back.
Therefore, I have never been able to follow-up with a surgeon, or a nutritionist.

Can anyone who is around the same time out as me help me? I am looking for what I should be eating not what I CAN eat. Because at this point I can eat anything. I need to stop now before I end up back the way I was.

I am looking where I could find a sample menu for someone almost 4 years out. Something I can follow and get back on track.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Kimberly
Parciful
on 1/31/09 9:48 am - Southaven, MS
I feel your frustration! I will be 4 years out on Aug 8th. I made it down to 182 and now am back up to 217! I did get up to 230 but have lost 13 thus far. AND IT ISN'T EASY THIS TIME. I wish I could help you but am in the same boat. So if there is anyone that does have a sample menu I would love to have it too! I am starting the 5 day pouch test Monday. I have a few others that are joining in with me on Sparkpeople.com. If you are interested in trying this with us we are trying to support each other. I can be reached at [email protected]
I know how you are feeling. Is so very frustrating and scarey to think I am heading back towards what I fought so hard to get away from. We have to remember that this surgery was a tool not a quick fix. I got away from that. Now trying very very hard to get back on track. contact me if you are interested in a buddy type system.
Judy
Dawn B.
on 2/16/09 4:53 am, edited 2/16/09 4:54 am - Anderson, CA
Hi Kimberly,

Well, on a postive note - you're aware and want to do something about it. I had surgery on 8/1/05 and my lowest was 132 (goal was 135) and I now sit between 140 & 145. My body didn't like the 130's and seems more stable here. I did get up to 150 and it freaked my out (I know - not much compared to you, but it sure as heck didn't make me happy) and it took quite a while to get back to the low 140s.

Following a set menu won't work - if it did you wouldn't have needed surgery right? Saying that, those that are doing the 5-Day pouch seem to find it VERY useful to get their mindset back on track so I hope you joined the other person doing it.

I will tell you what my surgeon's post-op plan is: 75% lean protein, 25% everything else. 3 meals a day and only water to drink (64 oz a day min). No snacking and his definition of a snack is anything that has flavor, whi*****ludes gum. Remember to not drink at least a 1/2 hour before eating a full hour after eating so that you don't create a soup that will just flow out of your stomach. If you really want to reset - cut out all starch carbs until you're back with about 10 lbs of your goal. That means no breads, pastas, potatoes, etc. You basically want to go back to your first few months post-op.  OH! go to the library and check out an Atkin's cookbook.

Don't forget the exercise piece as well. Try to at least walk 30 minutes 4-7 times a week.

Contact your program/doctor/hospital to see if there's a support group available. They're free (at least I've never heard of one that cost anything) and may help you with further ideas.

Good luck...

Dawn   5'7" 258/142
'What's important is not necessarily where you are, but in what direction you are going.' Oliver Wendel Holmes

Most Active
Recent Topics