And the struggle goes on...

Kathleen L.
on 4/27/09 11:27 am - Lawton, OK
OK.  So, here is the truth.  I am starting to gain weight, not a huge amount, just a half pound here, a quarter pound there, first to 135, now 138.  No big deal, right now, so far, but if that half pound and quarter pound keep agoin, yuppers, it will be a problem.    I am not eating any more...ok...well, maybe I am.  BUT, you know what?  NO poor mes here.  Gonna get up OFF my booty, cut out the carbs, drink my protein and water and WALK.  This RNY is a tool, not a cure.  COME ON MY FRIENDS.  I know some of you do not post on here because you are gaining, or struggling.    GET OVER IT, get busy.  WE CAN, and WE WILL TAKE CONTROL OF OUR BODIES, OUR MINDS, OUR HEALTH!  I am not perfect?  Are you?  We are all human, we all have the same struggle, so let's band together and we can overcome it.  Much love to all of you...and I am here if you need me.  I need all of you you know :)
brenmatt65
on 4/30/09 2:02 pm, edited 4/30/09 2:04 pm - Powell, WY

Hi Kathleen! Hi everyone!  It's been quite awhile since I've posted.  Been tooooo pushed this semester time-wise. It's funny to think two years ago at this time I'd have NEVER dreamed of doing what I'm doing now! I'm loving my new life!

I'm keeping steady and paying attention to what I eat and when I eat it.  I do eat sweets or crackers, but I pay close attention to how much and make a conscious choice to eat what I'm eating and not let it become an automated (so to speak) reaction or habit.  My nurse told me, "it's not logical or healthy to think you're never going to let yourself enjoy a favorite treat or meal again  your whole life. Just do it with much more caution and awareness than you did before." She's such a wise woman, and she knows exactly what we're all going through, she had gastric bypass also. 

Are you attending support group meetings? It's soooooo important to keep up some sort of support besides family.  People who KNOW what we're going through, who know what we face, who CARE because they've been there.  I can't say enough how important these meetings are to me. 

I have gained the occasional pound here and there, but I pay close attention to what it was I did differently and I step back to the basics and do the 5 day pouch test occasionally as a reminder and as a carb cleaner.  It's amazing how that works! I am at my lowest weight since I can't remember when.  I'm weighing between 134 and 136 all the time now. 

I don't get enough exercise, and I miss it. I just flat do NOT have time between schooling fulltime and working fulltime, homework, tests, sleep, etc to get exercise in like I should.  I do still do all the little things that add up to more physical activity--parking in the farthest parking spot away from the entrance, making one job into three or four (up and down the hallway at my job, not taking the telephone with me all over the house, etc). I also do more stairs (not too many in our small town--not too many two story buildings, LOL) whenever I get the chance. It's not all the exercise I need, but it's better than I used to do. I do know that I'm more committed to my health than I've ever been and that alone feels wonderful.

There is no reason we can't all be successful in our new lives!  To those struggling with snacking, carbs, etc....talk to your doctor about appetite suppressants.  It's NOT a sign of failure, it's asking for that added boost to get you through some tough times and to help get you back off of carbs.  This is your health! If you had a horrible disease and felt bad, would you struggle with it or would you ask for help?  This is the SAME thing in asking for help in your weight loss journey. Do NOT be afraid to ask for help. It's there if you need it.

I'm so proud of all of us! We've come a longggg way, baby! The worst worst worst thing we can do to ourselves now is to step back into our old, nasty worn out stinky shoes of beating ourselves up for our past weight management failure!!! We are NOT those people anymore--we have to rein our thoughts back in and remember the journey--it's lifelong.

Here is the 5 day pouch test link...give it a try..it's awesome!  http://www.5daypouchtest.com/

God bless you ALL! I love you with my whole heart!

Brenda

frazier
on 5/1/09 12:19 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Hi Kathleen and Brenda,  Kathleen...I know exactly how you feel.  I live in fear of the weight gain and I can see that I have to work to control my old habits...I know they are all still there lurking under the surface.  I have picked a weight that I hope never to go over.  I fluctuate up and down a few pounds.  The one way I have changed is that I refuse to think I have failed if I make one ( or even more) bad choises.  I try to make good choises again at the next meal or snack.   I have to admit that even though I am doing more exercise than I did before I still am not a regular at the gym.  Like Brenda I try to walk more and take the stairs when I can.  I haven't done the 5 day pouch test since I was about 8 months out or so...I had no problem then but I might have a bit of a problem now.  I think I am still carb addicted.  Maybe we should start weighing in again, or logging what we eat or do the 5 day pouch test together.  If there is anything I can do to help let me know.  Fran
Most Active
Recent Topics
Fills
nickilin · 0 replies · 735 views
5 years..feel great!
frazier · 0 replies · 768 views
5 years ago- Change my life!!
MELISSA52879 · 0 replies · 1009 views
5 years out..today
1hipmom · 1 replies · 895 views
how is everyone doing?
frazier · 2 replies · 944 views