help how much should i be eating

Theresa R.
on 5/5/09 1:00 pm - farmington, NM
hello everyone,
i was just wondering how many calories most people are eating this far out(almost 20 months) i have been having trouble with eating everything in sight. i need to get back on track, but i don't know where to start. the worst thing is i still want to lose another 80 lbs. thanks for any help.
Kathleen L.
on 5/10/09 12:42 am - Lawton, OK
Hi Theresa!  I am almost at two years out too.  I am able to eat alot more, all of a sudden, in these last two months.  Luckily, I keep my weight at around 135-140.  It is not easy...I really have to be disciplined, walk alot, and watch totally what I am doing.  I REFUSE to let myself gain back.  I realize a few pounds is inevitable, but I cannot fathom getting above 150 ever again.  I am really really short, only 5'1", so I need to be smaller.  I have been told it is very normal at about two years out to eat more, and gain some back.  Our pouches are somewhat stretched and relaxed.  There is the five day pouch test, which I use sometimes.  It works.  Remember this surgery is just a tool, not a fix all, so use your tool.  You can do this!  One minute at a time.  I chew alot of gum, drink alot of water, and exercise every day.  Best of luck to you and remember you are not alone!
frazier
on 5/13/09 8:27 am - Hamilton, Canada
Hi Theresa,  I have been having trouble with eating all the time too.  So far I have managed to stay at about the same weight but I can see it creeping up if I continue with these bad habits.  I eat at least 1700-1800 calories a day and on bad days I eat even more.  Sometimes I wonder if my pouch really is small or have I totally stretched it, then sometimes I can hardly eat anything (thankfully).  I have also found that I have sugar cravings quite often.  If I eat too much sweet stuff though I do feel quite ill afterwards.  I'm not sure how much the bypassed section of intestine is helping with decreased absorbtion but it must be some or I am sure I would have put on more weight by now.  I am thinking of doing the 5 day pouch test but I haven't had the motivation yet.  I still exercise most days, and I never drink and eat together.  I start every day with new resolve but sometime through the day it seems to just disappear.  Are you at least staying steady with your weight?  Are there any strategies you have tried so far that have helped a little?  Do you still eat any protein supplements or at least protein first?  I hope you find the answer for you and if you do don't forget to share it!
sykoeve
on 5/20/09 6:37 am - Searcy, AR
The only trouble I really have with eating is that I don't chew enough or I take a bite to big and then get sick.  I do snack sometimes, but I try to be careful and keep it healthy, like fruit, or wheat crackers or something like that.  I don't count my calories but if I did I would guess I eat less than 1200 a day.  I eat a simple breakfast (oatmeal, farina wheat cereal or sometimes toasted wheat bread with sf jelly or cream cheese), lunch is usually part of a canned soup (cream of mushroom or cream of celery) or a lunchable (the ones that come with 8 crackers, cheese,meat) I can eat most of this but not all 8. 

Lunch is normal, meat, side and veggies.  I bake almost everything or pan fry meat in a skillet with a light coat of non stick olive oil spray.  I season my meat myself, instead of pre-mixed seasonings that are most often full of salt.  If I make french fries or any other potatoe thing I will bake instead of deep fry.  I cook for myself and my partner, so sometimes he wants fried catfish and onion rings or something else I shouldn't eat so I will have a salad if I make something special for him.
Weight 5 Years Ago (2002): 275.0  --  50.3 BMI
Pre-Consult (7/05/07): 400.12 pounds  --  73.2 BMI
Surgery Day (8/15/07): 369.8  --  67.6 BMI
Past Weight (09/30/08):  205.0  --  37.5 BMI
Current Weight (01/08/09):  190.0  --  34.7 BMI
Check Out My Profile for Pics & Blog
Most Active
Recent Topics
Fills
nickilin · 0 replies · 735 views
5 years..feel great!
frazier · 0 replies · 768 views