Should I tell people at work about my operation?

WendyWindow
on 9/19/08 7:01 pm - UK
 Hi.  I did not tell people at work what operation I was going for. I was too embaressed and did not want to draw too much attention to myself. Also thought that it would just encourage people to gossip and talk about it.  I have a lot of support at home and personal friends.  Problem is that I am running out of excuses to not attend work social functions, celebrations etc.  Someone insisted on having lunch with me this week as a meeting ran late and she was starving.  I went into a total panic that there may not be soup on the menu and felt really self conscious throughout as I had to eat my soup so slow.  

I have a senior job in a large company.  With the global credit crisis and state of the world economy, everyone is trying to climb over each other  and put colleagues down to survive (not me!)

Should I tell some people at work or should I keep going as things will improve much more over next couple of months to make my operation less obvious?  Please help, your views much appreciated.
Shella M.
on 9/20/08 2:06 am

That is a very personal decision and I think everyone has to make it for themselves.   I personally told everyone.   I thought they would figure it out once I came back anyway and this gave me the chance to put my input out there.. I was doing this for my health and for my children.  Most everyone was supportive.   For the ones who weren't I gave it a quick shot to help them understand (most were just afraid of the horror stories they had heard) and for the ones who chose to talk badly about me behind my back??? I didn't and don't waste my time with them.  I know I did what I needed to do for my children... were they going to raise them if I had a fatal heart attack?  Good luck in what you decide.   Just remember the only ones *****ally count are your family and the ones who are willing to support you. 

Shell RNY 8/21/08

WendyWindow
on 9/21/08 2:21 am - UK
 Hi Sheila,

Thank you very much for your reply. Makes perfect sense.  I am going to leave it a week or two and then decide.  What I might do is tell a few close work colleagues, it is then bound to get out to more people anyway.  Will just take each day as it comes. After all, like you, I dont really care what everyone else thinks, this is for me and my family.

Wendy
Jennie L.
on 9/21/08 3:10 pm - Dallas/Duncanville, TX
I agree that it is your own personal decision.  I personally told most everyone at work.  I felt like I needed to keep my supervisor in the loop of what was going on anyways.  And with him, he'd tell his few friends and it would eventually get around anyways.  So why not go ahead and let everyone hear from my own mouth instead of hear-say?

I do have a co-worker that she had never told anyone, but when I told her that I was working on getting everything done to get approval.  So she opened up to me, but asked me to not tell anyone else.  And I haven't.  But we talk about it often.  She's been a great inspiration.

If you don't feel comfortable telling people about what you did, then dont.  It is your body, there is no law anywhere that says you have to reveal anything you do to it. 

-Jennie-

michele S.
on 9/22/08 8:08 am - Stephenville, TX
Hi,

I wish you luck with your colleagues.  It is so hard to draw the line from personal to professional.  I think it use to be different... but now we live in a very "informed" era.  I think that you have to do what you feel is right in your heart.  I work for a university and I have told the colleagues that I am in direct contact with. They are very supportive and open to WLS.  I am not going to announce it to my students or other faculty members.  However, if they ask how I lost weight, I will have no problem  telling them how wonderful the tool is.

Good luck,
Michele
catinthehat
on 9/24/08 8:21 pm - New Zealand
Hi Wendy, I'm like you, I havent told anyone at work and I dont intend to either. I can;t stand the thought of them gossiping about me behind my back and listening to all their ignorant comments about WLS and wwight issues, I think the only people that really understand are those that have walked in our shoes. I feel really self conscious eating so slowly and such a small amount (I'm 6 weeks out) in front of my work colleagues. I just tell them I am trying to improve my eating habits cause I'm seeing a nutritionist who says to eat slowly and healthier.
Catherine
Dot T.
on 1/18/09 9:09 am - Bartlesville, OK
I didn't tell anyone prior to surgery, but since surgery I tell whoever comments about my weight loss and asks what I'm doing to lose.

For the most part, people have been supportive.  Some have lots of questions...  some tell me the horror stories of the people they "know" who have had major complications or death...

I just say that I did my homework and knew the risks involved but still chose to go through with the surgery.

Dot
Most Active
Recent Topics
Been gone a long time
RaeRae1 · 1 replies · 1099 views
Ghost Town
Dot T. · 0 replies · 864 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 842 views
13 months post op sleeve
reneeskids · 0 replies · 1077 views