Special K protein shake ok?

etamae
on 8/22/09 11:51 pm
I am going for my first nutritionist vist Aug 25th and then the office is to set up my first appt with Dr. Balder.  I have read where everyone is drinking the protein shakes but i dont see brands mention.  I have started drinking Special K protein shakes and I was wondering if anyone else was?  I also need ideas for the liquid diet when i have to start  doing it. I hope to have the band surgery in october. I have a friend who is scheduled for the by pass Sept 1st with Dr. Balder. She is starting her liquid diet tomorrow, Mon the 24th of Aug so I am going to do it  with her.  I may be stupid on this but what all is considered within the norm for the liquid diet part? I am sure the nutritionist will tell me when i see her tuesday but i figured I could get more  honest answers from people who have been through it.  I will post my surgery date and updates when I know it.
Thanks everyone!  Your stories are very encouraging. I am getting nervous as the time approaches just to go see the doc for the first time.

Loretta

sippiek
on 8/23/09 5:57 am - Lewistown, PA
My dietician told me the Special K protein shakes aren't okay. This is what she replied to me when I emailed her about them awhile ago.
"It seems to have too much added sugar and not enough protein per calories. If there was 15-20 gr of protein for that calorie level that would be better. Whey protein powder is good with skim milk."

Liquid diet pre-op is different than post-op.  Pre-op is sugar free jello, crystal light, SF popsicles, yogurt, SF pudding, skim milk, protein shakes, cottage cheese, broth soups, fat free cream soups, unsweetened applesauce

More power to you for doing it when you don't have to!
etamae
on 8/23/09 8:08 am
Thanks for the info. I started buying all sugar free food 2 weeks ago. It takes a lot of getting use to.  I bought some Atkins advance protein shakes today at Walmart.  I will be doing the pre op liquid diet with me friend this week. The sugar free jello is terrible. Skim milk is like drinking water, but i guess I will have to get use to the taste for awhile. I am doing it with her now so when it comes my turn I hope it will not be so hard.  I have not tried the Whey protein powder yet. I will just have to get use to eating so differently.

thanks again.
jberry1417
on 8/23/09 1:52 pm - Carrollton, GA
Hi, I had RNY on 07/13/09.  When I was pre and post op, I would drink chicken or beef broth.  My sister had hers 5-6 years ago.  She kept telling me that if I would buy the chicken and beef in the baby food aisle and mix it into the broth, that it would make it have more flavor.  The more I thought about that nasty stuff that my babies wouldn't even eat, made my stomach flip flop.  But, I tried it and it did have so much more of a chicken or beef flavor.  My husband always mixed mine up, so I didn't actually see the baby food.  Try it.  The protein shakes that I use is Nectar by Syntrac.  I think that is the correct spelling.  It may be with a x on the end or I don't know.  Just google Bariatric and you should be able to find it.  It is a powder that you mix with 8 0z. of water.  Put it in your shaker with ice and shake, shake, shake.  It comes in a lot of different flavors.  I love the Fuzzy Naval, Orange cream, Caribbean cooler is okay and I drink it but I will not reorder anymore.  They have so many different flavors, Strawberry-Kiwi.  I have tried the chocolate, vanilla, and they're some more.  Give it a try.  I have lost 45 lbs. in 36 days out.  Good luck too you all!
Jackie
Jackie        
sippiek
on 8/23/09 3:16 pm - Lewistown, PA
Tell me about it! SF Jello is like the nastiest stuff ever.  It has no nutritional value and makes me gag, so I don't even bother with it.  Luckily I was already used to skim milk.  The worst part of SF food is the aftertaste that lingers.  It just tastes like you ate without any variety when that SF taste lingers.
applegate67
on 8/23/09 8:58 pm
 Hi, Regarding Skim milk or Non Fat Milk.  Yes I agree most look like watered down yuk and taste horrible.  However, the only non fat milk I will drink and taste very good is ORGANIC NON FAT MILK.
Taste great.  Try it and see for yourself.  A little extra money but well worth it.  I am getting used to it now.  My RNY surgery is on Friday.
etamae
on 8/26/09 5:26 am
Good luck on Friday. I will keep you in my prayers.  I go see the Dr. on September 3rd to schedule my surgery in October.
Let me know how you are doing after you get home.
etamae
on 8/26/09 5:17 am
Well, I went to the nutritionist yesterday and we went over all the do's and don'ts and then she told me I needed 77 grams of protein a day..Man that sounds like a lot of drinking.  Then Dr. Balder's office called me this afternoon to schedule me an appointment with him. I am going September 3rd.  I reminded them yesterday I do not want my surgery until October since I am going to California in September to visit my daughter and she telling the buffet she wants to take me to is 50.00 a person. I want to be able to eat that 50 dollars worth of food and not just a tablespoon full.  I know that sounds bad but it is the way I feel.  So how is everyone? Hope all is well and surgeries are GREAT! 
TAKE CARE E1!!!

etamae
on 9/6/09 1:43 am
Had my appointment with Dr Balder September 3rd. He said i was a perfect for the lab band surgery. Gave me lab work  orders and i have to have the scope thing down my throat since i have indegestion quite often. He wants to make sure i dont have a bacteria in my stomach that is causing the indegestion. I am more scared of that procedure than the WLS surgery.  The scope is scheduled for Sept 11th at 645 am at the Rivertown Medical blg in  Conway, SC.  Then WLS surgery will be scheduled for sometime in October.  Wil let everyone know how things go.  again thanks for all the help and information i have been getting. it really helps.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Terrified of gaining weight back
Jilly_Bean · 2 replies · 1086 views
Almost 3 years out
pearls92 · 2 replies · 1062 views
I'm around
InkdSpEdTchr · 2 replies · 884 views
My Dr. Appointment
3jsmom · 1 replies · 844 views