ok august 3rd folks - let's hear it!

MK M.
on 7/29/10 6:49 am - Natick, MA
we've got five days to go - how are you feeling? how are the nerves? how's your pre-op weight loss coming?

are you ready?!
highest weight: 331 (may 2010)   |   current weight: 304   |   surgery date: august 3, 2010

do not dare to live without some clear intention toward which your living shall be bent.
                   mean to be something with all your might. ~phillips brooks

Sleeve Skinny Dee
on 7/29/10 2:14 pm
I am feeling great and looking forward to the 3rd!!  I am getting very excited.  This 2 week pre-op diet has been hard but I'm doing well on it and have lost almost 15 pounds. 

HW: 274.5 SW: 252

donna-u
on 8/1/10 2:15 am
HI I HAD SURG 2 YRS AGO. I WOULD NEVER CHANGE MY MIND. I WAS SO UNHAPPY AND SO TIRED AS ALL OF US ARE WHEN WE ARE SO OBESE. I HAVE LOTS OF ENERGY AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT MYSELF. I AM A LITTLE HIGHER THAN I STARTED OUT WANTING TO BE. I GOT DOWN TO 150LBS FROM 243LBS AND REALLY THOUGHT I DIDN'T LOOK WELL. I AM 67YRS OLD AND THINGS JUST DON'T GO BACK THE WAY THEY SHOULD AND I WAS A LITTLE SAGGY MAGGY IN THE FACE SO I DECIDED TO STAY AT 160 LBS WHICH I AM TODAY AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS KEEPING IT OFF. GOOD LUCK. I HAVEN'T BEEN ON THIS SIGHT FOR A LONG TIME BUT AS A REQUEST DOWNLOADED A RECENT PICTURE OF MYSELF AND MY PUPPY. LOTS OF LUCK AND REMEMBER IT IS A JOURNEY FOR US ALL. YOU ARE ABOUT TO BEGIN YOURS.
karenh1127
on 8/1/10 7:06 am - Deer Park, TX
I finally got here! I have been trying to get to the surgery date board all day! I am on day 4 of a 5 day pre-op liquid diet. My tummy is growling! I am nervous and anxious. Good luck to all who are going on Aug 3....Tues!!! Yea us!!!
myvioleteyes
on 8/2/10 1:40 am
Holla for the August 3 folks!!! I am going to finish my studying and testing today, and then make some art! What are you doing on the infamous day before surgery?
MK M.
on 8/7/10 10:50 am - Natick, MA
hey gals - the day before surgery i had so many errands to run, i did very little "for me" - but i thought i'd pop back in with an update, and hope to hear yours, too.

hi all,

it's taken me a couple of days, but i'm finally at the point where i feel alert enough to write a little update. (x-posting from my local board)

i had my laproscopic RNY tuesday morning at 10:15a at tufts-nemc in boston, MA, and according to the notes, all went well. the nurses up on the 4th floor were fantastic, incredibly attentive and kind, and although a couple of the technicians/aides were duds, i can say my overall care was terrific. i had a wonderful roommate who had her RNY just an hour or two before me, so it was nice to have someone to chat with (when we weren't zonked out on pain meds)

i woke up with a lot of pain on my left side (the area surrounding my largest incision) which continued throughout hospitalization, and remains pretty excruciating at times now that i'm home and moving around. there's significant bruising and it seems almost as if things are stuck together that shouldn't be. it's the most severe when i cough or sneeze, or have to bend at a funky angle - like in the ladies room! at any rate, i'm giving it until monday and if i don't see improvement, i'll be on the phone with the doc first thing.

any post-op pain stories you'd like to share? how long before you got some real relief? it is making me a little concerned since regularly i have a huge tolerance for pain - and now i can barely hold back the tears and screams when i have to move wrong.

otherwise, things are good, i think. i have a lot of help at home from the hubby and some family members, i'm not doing as well as i should be getting in my 50-60 grams of protein, but i'm trying and it's getting better daily. gas is making me want to punch someone, but i discovered gas-x strips today and that's made life a little easier. so, yea. i think that's it. thanks again for all of your support pre-op, it made the nerves tuesday much more bearable knowing that all of you had been there before.

i look forward to sharing and helping more now that i've made it to the other side. (and now i've worn myself out so i'm clicking submit and taking a nap)

xoxo MK
rubberducky10
on 8/7/10 9:21 pm
Hey MK.
I am brand new here.  Thanks for your story!  I had my surgery Tuesday 8/3 in New Haven.  Any improvement on your pain yet? I have had pain in my left side also, but maybe not as much as you.  I have only taken pain meds once since home, mostly bec. I HATE the taste of the tylenol with codeine.  The incision pain does not seem quite as bad as the gas pains I had.  The gas pains are subsiding.  I walked a lot in the hospital, around and around the nurses station, so my gas would subside.  Looking forward to the day I can actually lie on my left side in bed.  I like to switch back and forth during the night, so my right side is getting stiff.  When I switch to my back, I am uncomfortable. I think it will be quite some time before I can lie on my left side.    I have had a "productive" cough (no sneezing) and I use a little pillow on my tummy when I have to cough.  I keep it by me all the time to dissipate the pain.  I also feel like I can get a better breath in now and it doesn't hurt to breathe.  

I had dreams about food last night.  I am guessing that is a bad sign.  Made my daughter a grilled cheese sandwich yesterday.  That was tough psychologically, not so much physically.

Having trouble getting in my protein and water so far.  But hoping it will improve gradually.       

Best of luck to you (and everyone) on this journey.  I think it's cool that we can communicate with others who have had the same surgery date.  
Eileen
Most Active
Recent Topics