August 9th was the day - now on to healing!

Audi5000
on 8/13/11 10:38 am
I am done with the cut/paste and now ready to heal.  I'm only a few days out, but dealing with fluid intake every 15 min, trying to increase protein, balancing my meds - very glad to have dear hubby taking care of me.  I'm sore, having to re-learn how to burp, not sure what "full" and "empty" feel like, and terrified of not getting something right.  So far, so good though...Anybody else healing and ready to find a seat on the loser's bench!?
youjustwatchmechang
e

on 8/14/11 8:43 am - GA
 i'm right there with you. 

i am trying not to overdo it while also walking like i'm told to. 

i have to re-learn how to burp? 

i'm trying not to over stuff myself with water and figure out how to take my crushed meds...

any suggestions on the meds part? 

sending you happy healing thoughts. 

-M

Visit my blog at www.youjustwatchmechange.com    
Audi5000
on 8/14/11 2:51 pm
50+ pounds lost!  You rock!!  I don't have much in the way of advice.  I am able to swallow my meds - just because the pills are small enough and I can get them down with my 2 oz of water.  I do have Centrum chewable for the vitamins.  I am using a chewable Gas X to help with the burping...but it is still weird.  My dr (or the nurse really) said to hold off on the B12 and Calcium until my three week visit.  I happen to have the B12 in sublingual lozenges that have a "cherry flavor" - not only do I like them, but feel that I can easily fit them in at this point.  The calcium is in the "petite" form that the dr suggested, but that is the biggest "petite" I have ever seen so I have not put that anywhere near my mouth. 

I should probably be walking more - I do feel pretty okay when I'm up and about.  I just get tired fairly easily and I'm not sleeping really well so I have been a little sloth-like...making my butt crater on the couch. 

Again, I don't have any real advice on the meds - especially since crushed may be hard to incorporate into stuff - I don't know.  Could you put it into a little 2oz cup of Crystal Light or protein shake or something? 

Happy healing thoughts to you as well - we can do this!!  You are already way ahead of me!!

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days
This content requires the Adobe Flash Player. Get Flash
Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

youjustwatchmechang
e

on 8/14/11 4:43 pm - GA
 a lot of people said their surgeon wanted them to wait a few weeks to start on supplements...i'm going to have to surgeon about that. 

i should totally change that, i haven't lost 50 since surgery, that is from my highest weight. since surgery i think i'm lost like...15? which is still awesome but not as impressive sounding as 50 lol. 

i've tried shakes and Clight...i think nothing shall work :(

owell, i will keep trying, there has to be SOMETHING. 

i will keep thinking happy heal quickly thoughts for us both :)
davis93
on 8/17/11 12:05 pm - NC
 I am healing to ,my surgery was aug 11 I have done pretty good until i overdone it today now I am in alot of pain hope it passes and  i haven't  done any damage I am also having trouble getting all the protein and liquids in I am sure it will get easier on us, Want to wish you luck . 
Audi5000
on 8/17/11 11:04 pm
Yes, please don't overdo.  I'm "back at work" this week, but taking it super easy.  I'm a teacher and trying to get my class ready - but refuse to do the heavy lifting since I'm just lucky enough to be the one who pops stitches!  I do get very tired, very easily.  I have been using ready-to-drink protein shakes to help get in the protein without too many calories.  Its still hard (especially since they get yucky pretty fast).  The water or whatever to stay hydrated is easier - as long as I don't get too busy, but still a challenge.  In fact, I have trouble making sure I don't chug the bottle of water - I would have done that before surgery and have to really slow myself down now. 

Be good and happy healing to you - and all of us!

Brazilnut2
on 8/25/11 11:04 am - TN
Hey! Another Tuesday, August 9th-er here! I can't believe you went back to work on the 18th! I'm such a baby. I have a desk job but reported to work just this week for half-days only.

My pouch has done really well. I started on supplements right away. They are yucky, but I take them religiously.

Let's keep in touch with each others' progress and cheer each other on!
Audi5000
on 8/26/11 5:49 am
I love the idea of keeping in touch and cheering each other on!  You've already lost 21 pounds!  Good for you!  My weight has not dropped off like I would like.  In fact, I've wondered over the last few days if the doctor really created a pouch or just poked around and left everything the way it was - trying to see if I'd lose weight through the psychological belief that I have a smaller stomach.  I'm sure that's not really the case, but I'm really not down but about 10 pounds.  I've lost about 17 overall, but I THINK I lost some of it before surgery.  I guess I just have to keep up the meds, and the walking, and the smaller portions. 
Dr still has me on a liquid diet with 2 oz of protein every hour and 6 oz of "hydrating fluid" every 15 minutes for the rest of the hour.  I'm having trouble getting in the protein because I want to have a meal (even if just soup) AT MEALTIME - not just a little each hour.   Any suggestions?   I go for my 3 week on Wednesday of next week and hope to be cleared to have "fork tender" foods.
I do not think of you as a baby - just smart.   I am still milking the inability to lift items but the restriction on driving was too much.  The teaching part is a little tough just because I'm constantly worried that I will need the bathroom!
Let me know how you're doing!  Happy healing!   

youjustwatchmechang
e

on 8/28/11 6:02 pm - GA
 heya, 

I get to switch to soft/pureed foods on tuesday and i am so excited i could jumpe up and down! all liquids for three weeks is a hard hard thing. but nothing solid has passed my lips except for the chunks of my meds/vitamins and so i'm proud of myself for that. 

i TOTALLY wondered if my surgeon just poked some holes in me as an experiement too! I think that is because other than a lot of burping and being full  more easily it doesn't seem like that much has changed...but that isn't true really, it just seems that way. i think that the difference will be more noticable once we start eating actual food. 

wanting something at a meal time makes sense but we have to change what we think of as a mealtime and how we look at food in general. so maybe that is the purpose of the regimented eating? i dunno, i still have meal times but my doc doesn't have me on a schedule, just guidlines for what to get in everyday. 

i am thinking happy good thoughts for you guys! 

-Maggie
youjustwatchmechang
e

on 8/28/11 6:04 pm, edited 8/28/11 6:04 pm - GA
 actually, how do you regiment your liqids? do you have the right amount of oz and a little phone alarm or something? i ask becuase i worry about drinking too much at once but not enough in the day! any ideas? 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Eetore, are you around?
Jennifer D. · 0 replies · 655 views
Healing Process
jennifer W. · 2 replies · 1035 views
Surgery Date Next Monday!
emma M. · 1 replies · 937 views