Plateau since last September

Amy L.
on 1/22/04 10:36 am
Someone please help me with some suggestions or something. I had Gastric Bypass on September 11, 2002 and I started at 420 lbs and am down to 272. I have been at that weight since the end of September 2003. I am doing the protein shakes and eatting 90 % protein, so I can't understand why I am not loosing anymore. This makes me want to cry and I am getting very depressed. I still am glad I had the surgery, but can't understand why I have stopped loosing when I am still so fat. Does anyone have any suggestions. Anyone is more than welcome to email me anytime with help, support, or questions. [email protected] Thank you so much, Amy
Susan H.
on 2/1/04 5:51 am - Fairmont, WV
Amy, I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time... are you keeping a food journal? Sometimes if you write every morsel that goes into your mouth you will see the reason behind the slow weight loss... for example... you might be grazing and eating a lot of hidden calories or carbs... or on the other hand it may show that your aren't eating enough calories and may need to increase... Go to FitDay.com and there is an online FREE nutritional site that will help you track your food intake...it is a very good site. Try this for 1 week and see what your totals are... it won't lie...either too much in or not enough can cause a slow to non existent weight loss. Good luck and email me sometime if you need help... Susan Hardway Open RNY 9-16-02 287/156/135(someday, somewhere)
Cindy Kinney
on 2/2/04 1:53 am - Coatesville, PA
Hey Amy, i had my surgery one day after you!! Isn't that funny! I was on a platau for a long time too, I was about to go back to eating all soft foods just like right after surgery but then I started loosing again. I read somewhere that you platau where you were for a longer time period during your life. And for me that was very true I stopped at 175 for about 6 months. I would say just keep doing what you are doing and remember to exercise and drink lots of water. Don't worry it will come off! Cindy
Adele F.
on 2/3/04 5:44 am - Laguna Niguel, Ca
Hi Amy! This is the first time I have posted to this forum since I joined quite a- while ago. I had my rny lap on 9/5/02 and the one thing I don't hear enough about (in my opinion) is exercise! I also have graves disease, which is a metabolism/thyroid disorder which had really slowed me down way before I had my surgery. I was hoping the surgery would jump start my metabolism and in some ways it has. But there is no way I could be sticking to the food plan post surgery without doing some exercise! Just prior to my surgery I joined a gym that had a pool because I like the water and thought I would enjoy the "aqua aerobics" classes ----- and boy was I right! I lucked out because the gym I picked to go to (L.A.Fitness) happened to have several other women in it that either had had the surgery, or were planning on it ----- it was like having a support group meeting whenever I was there! After our class we would all get in the jacuzzi and discuss our various problems or issues and we all tried to help each other as much as possible. We were able to motivate each other and give encouragement when needed. This is the one thing I think really helps along with the surgery---going to a gym where you are all there for the same reason ----- to get physically fit. There's a certain cameraderie that goes on because you feel like you "belong" and we all need that, especially since before surgery most of us felt like we were on the outside of society looking in. I started going 2-3 times a week and I got more and more comfortable as I kept going back. There were classes to take besides the aqua aerobics and of course the exercise equipment. I even found that I liked walking on the treadmill ------ what a surprise! Since it's cooled off here in Florida the last couple of months, I have been trying to walk outside at least every other day 2-3 miles. But I started off at only walking a 1/4 mile! You have to crawl before you can walk,literally (), and increase the time gradually, so as you lose weight you will find that you are more comfortable doing more and more! I didn't read your profile so I don't know how old you are or how long you've been obese, but I'm 55 yrs old, have been obese since my 20's and never exercised regularly or had time to walk! So all I can say is TRY IT! Just do what you feel comfortable with at first. The water seemed to energize me when I went in ----- I started walking in it at first after surgery for my bad knees and I had so little energy then. The water will make you "buyoient" and it's easier to exercise! If you don't like the water, you can still look for places in your area that offer Curves or yoga ---- something to help get you moving ----- the more you find you can do will encourage you to try more. There's nothing like success to give you the incentive to keep going! The only other food suggestion I have worked for me: sushi If you like fish or sushi, it's full of protein and seemed to help me lose the most weight. Also my only protein drink was Championship Nutrition Whey Stack Chocolate ----- you can order cheapest online from muscledawg.com. Tastes just like chocolate milk and you only have to add 5 oz of water and shake! For the whole time I was on my program, that was the only thing I could tolerate for breakfast! and I still drink it sometimes now when I need the protein. Well ----- hope I've given you some "food for thought" ----! if you have any other questions, feel free to email me at: [email protected] and see my profile on obesityhelp.com ----they were the biggest help to me from the beginning! Good luck and God bless, Adele Frascella
lynnleeper
on 2/11/04 5:04 am - Huntsville, AL
Amy, Have you talked with your surgeon or had any tests run? There are a lot of mechanical things that could have happened that you may wish to have ruled out. Some people have problems with their stoma stretching, or have a staple line disruption. Also blood tests to rule out any vitamin/nutrient deficiencies might be a good idea. There's also a mail list group on Yahoo that can be very helpful in these situations. It's called the grad list and is for folks who are at least a year post-op. Those of us who haven't 'graduated' yet can lurk and read but cannot post. There is a lot of great information on there. If you're interested, go to Yahoo groups and do a search on: Graduate-OSSG It's truly a great list/support group. Good luck, Lynn 245/178/139 RNY 9/8/03
mary S.
on 6/24/04 5:57 am - columbus, OH
Amy i had my open rny on 9/18/02 i am having the same problem i have been plateaued since 9months out and it is so depressing so i read your responses and will follow up with their suggestions although i feel ive done them i will try again. i started at 295 and am steady at 205-210. Mary
June S.
on 7/20/04 2:11 am - Pasadena, Tx
I had my surgery, VBG 9/16/02. I did very well until about six months ago. I crave sweets and have constant hunger. Some days I hold very little down except for ice cream. Other days I can eat just about everything. I'm back to trying diet aids and thought I would never need the assistance again. Since May I've gained 15 pounds and 2 inches in my waist and stomach. We bought a bowflex and I started working out 4X weekly. I'm terrified that I will end up where I was 20 months ago, 360 pounds. Currently I'm at 212 but it goes up and down. I start out with a few cups ofcoffee, then breakfast, eating Oatmeal or strawberries and non-fat yogurt. Lunch will be turkey or ham with cheese and crackers or a salad with low fat dressing. Dinner will consist of meat, vegs and a salad. I usually eat ice cream and wish I could stop. I also crave peanuts. My problem is I can get full but I'm hungry an hour after I eat. I've tried the water, 100 ounces a day but still get hungry. Sometimes I really think it's hunger because when I'm out shopping or doing something that keeps my mind off of food I can go hours without getting hungry. Again, I crave sweets and can't get enough of them. It seems I'm getting right back where I was. I never had the oppurtunity of receiving training on how to eat the right foods or what foods are right for you. I know the sweets are out but how do I get over the craving?
Mary G.
on 3/24/05 3:36 pm - Dallas, Tx
wanted to throw my 2 cents in - as far as the 'somedays all you can hold down is ice cream and some days you can eat anything' - get a full checkup by your surgeon - when i had this going on i had a hernia that had to be surgically repaired you can stop the ice cream- you have the choice - i know its not an easy one somedays, but you can do it- for those bad days though, buy the no sugar added and low fat ice creams- that way you still get ice cream but with only 1/2 the bad stuff... when you are getting hungry an hour after you eat, how soon are you drinking after you eat? i know i can eat more when i drink right after (now this worked for me during my pregnancy in order for me to gain weight - i had to break all the rules)... but if i wait 30 min to 45 min before drinking, my mind catches up with my stomach and recognizes the full feeling... alot of us are emotional eaters though - sounds like you might be as well if you have no problems not being hungry if you are busy... spend some time figuring out why you are eating, are you actually hungry or are you bored? upset? tired? as far as getting over the craving, you have to retrain your taste buds - fruit is still sweet and can help with the sweet cravings, and it tends to fill us up faster because of the fiber- fruit with cool whip works well too.. as sweet as coolwhip is, there arent as many calories as ice creams... Mary G. 450 lbs in 2001, now 180 lbs proximatal ryn 2002
Traci S.
on 8/10/04 5:47 am - Boone, IA
Amy, take a deep breath. You are not alone. I have been within three pounds of the same weight since Thanksgiving. I know the feeling. I keep being told to increase my water and exercise. I don't know it that works since I haven't done it but that is what everyone is telling me. I'm feeling like maybe this is where my body wants to be. You have lost 148 pounds and it will take while for your body to catch up. To get a jump start again, I'm told, increase the water and do more walking. I wish you the best. I really do. It is so hard to not be where you wanted to be by now. Don't give up hope - there is always hope. You can do this - look how far you have come already. Keep me posted. Traci
Sherry R.
on 1/3/05 1:38 am - Joppa, MD
Amy - I didn't have quite as much weight to lose, but I can tell you, that after 100lbs, I'm stuck also. BUT, I know why. I started my old habits again. Eating sweets, drinking sweet drinks, and getting no exercise. So, for new years, I've decided that the one thing I can do for myself is go on a diet, and excercise! I joined the fitness center at work, and today will be my first work out. We MUST be successful. We didn't put our body's through this for nothing!!! Good Luck!! Hope this helped some!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Weight Gain and Loss
Pat_Hallam · 0 replies · 527 views
Hey Out There
Charlie · 2 replies · 629 views
Gaining again!!
Cheryl B. · 1 replies · 509 views
over weight again help
Linda C. · 4 replies · 480 views