More Active Than I've Ever Been, But Losing Ground on Eating Habits

NotsoTubbyAnymore
on 8/5/06 7:44 am - MO
Okay, First of all, I didn't lose as much as I should have (Doc would have been happy with me losing 150, but I only lost 100), but the truth is, at 258, I'm more active than I've ever been in my life. I'm going places and doing things with so much ease, and it's wonderful. Now for the down side: The truth is, I'm gaining again. I'm eating the wrong stuff, and even when I start my day out with protein shakes, by the end of the day I'm putting something in my mouth I shouldn't. On the days I do the right thing all the way through, I find some way to sabotage it the next day. I was enjoying eating two salads a day from Wendy's or Mcdonalds, because it had everything I could have wanted or needed - veggies and meat - but now I'm finding out that it's affecting my gall bladder, giving me an aching pain. I've had tests for liver and kidney and all is fine, but now my stomach is starting to bloat, and the aching is still there. Not bad, but enough to keep me wondering. If I cut back to the protein and salads, I lose weight, so I know it's about what I'm doing. Hubby says, I'm eating at a level where my body maintains. I need to cut back and stay back! I'm back on the vitamins again, after getting tired of reminding myself to take them. I just got back from a conference where the normal ending of the day was two martinis (w/three olives), and some pretty rich foods. I can eat anything I want except rice, over cooked white meat (chicken - I have to stick my finger down my throat every time**** cream or milk - no soda either, though I can take a taste here and there. I have gained 10pounds, losing 4 gaining it back. Anyway, just wanted to confess while watching this damned commercial on Snickers. I had a protein shake this morning and a bottle of water. Then an hour later I went into the freezer and ate a handful of frozen snicker minis. Fell asleep (sugar coma), and woke up feeling like crap.Swallowed another bottle of water, waited 30 minutes, and just had another protein shake. Tomorrow's my 13th anniversary and I'm happy to be able to go out and spend quality time with hubby, but I sure would like to lose that extra 60 pounds by next year. So thanks for letting me vent a bit. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, just trying to find some accountability to get back on track. If any of you are having a similar problem, maybe you want to exchange email addys and we can keep an eye on each other? Tayah
SweetSherri
on 8/5/06 8:48 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Tayah, Sweetie, WLS is a tool, and ONLY a tool. A hammer that isn't used doesn't put a single nail in a board. We all have our temptations. The secret is only keeping healthy temptations around. Get rid of those Snickers! Even 'mini's' has calories, fats, and sugars! Am I saying absolutely no chocolate forever? No. But when you do, make it sugar-free..and limit your intake. I love the SF York pepermint patties. I think 3-4 is a 'serving'. I allow myself 1-2. That is plenty to take away that craving. If muchies is your thing, make them healthy lo-cal munchies. I am definately out of the honeymoon stage and losing extremely slowly..but am still losing. I, by no means, consider myself an expert in WLS. I would also be the first to advise you to contact your surgeon & nut and ask them for their advise (and follow it) to get back on track. I can only tell you what works for me. Some people firmly believe that you should never, ever have anything 'sweet' for the rest of your life. Myself, I know that's not realistic for me so I make my sweets as sugar-free, fat-free as I possibly can (I have some pretty good recipes on my profile). I choose munchies as low in calories & carbs as I can find. I also drink as much water as I can. I drink no pop at all. I don't always make protein first....I'm a real veggie fan. I don't (can't...I'm hypoglycemic) eat potatoes, rice, or pasta at all. All of this seems to work for me anyway. Good luck. I know it's hard to get back on track once you wander off of it, but you can do it!! Sherri
Lynn J
on 8/6/06 1:54 am - LA
Tayah, The thing that really helps me is weighing every single morning before I eat. I bought a very accurate digital scale, a Tanita. Also, I keep no junk in the house, only healthy snacks. My sons are grown and no longer live with my hubby and me so I told my hubby that if he wants to eat junk to eat it when he is away from the house. He is also trying to lose weight so he agrees not to have junk in the house. Good luck! Lynn J., lap RNY 9/29/04 306/146/135 5' 4"
Piggybabe
on 8/11/06 2:52 am
If lettuce is bothering your gall bladder, you might have your doctor do an ultrasound and see if you have gall stones. That is not at ALL uncommon after WLS. Now, if it's your colon that is irritated by the lettuce,that's another story. Sometimes diverticulitis is aggravated by lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli or anything with seeds. In that case, about all that you can do is "avoid" those foods that irritate you. Chances are you are eating enough calories to "maintain" your current weight. I'm doing the same thing. I've decided just this week that I CANNOT continue to buy Mary Jane's and Tootsie Rolls and Log Rolls and Bit o'Honey's. Yes, they are all "fat free", but they STILL have calories and TONS of sugar!! I also cannot continue to buy "trail mix". Even though it seems like a "healthy" snack, I cannot control the amount of it that I eat!! And, it does have 140 calories per 1/4 cup serving. I may have to cut out the fruit for the most part too!!! Bananas are my favorite, and even though they are healthy, they are FULL of carbs!!! I'm allergic to wheat, so bread, pasta, cakes, cookies, etc. is NOT a problem, but that candy and chocolate is DEFINITELY a "trigger food" for me and I just cannot handle it. I know that if I eat something sweet, it needs to be in a restaurant or at someone elses home. I cannot keep those kinds of things within my grasp!!! It's a bummer, but I am DETERMINED not to gain this weight back. I've been through toooooo much and feel toooooo much better to go back now!!! Hope that we can help each other!!! Hugs, Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics
Writing a book
GloryGirl · 2 replies · 874 views
Sad - no posts since 2008!
Ruth S. · 1 replies · 812 views
HAPPY SurgeryVersary!
TberryRose · 0 replies · 872 views
FYI: Gastroparesis and WLS
SUPERMANs_Wife · 1 replies · 1128 views