Writing a book

GloryGirl
on 4/18/13 3:35 pm - Columbia, MO

I'm writing a book about my weight loss. After having RNY 9/27/04 I lost 230 lbs. Then I gained about 60. In 2010, I began losing weight the old-fashioned way, eating healthy--meats, fruits and veggies, and moving more. After getting my surgery, I sort of followed the suggested eating plan for a month or so but then just ate what I wanted to and what would stay down. I lost the weight but didn't use the tool to discipline myself with correct eating and exercise. Today I've lost 243 lbs from my high of 430. My goal is to lose at least 18 more lbs. Then I won't be obese anymore. Just overweight. I will continue on but I may need to have excess skin cut off to lose much more.

I'd love to hear your experience with RNY. Contact me here or email me at [email protected]. This book is going to just be my story. But I am already thinking of a follow-up with others stories.

I attempted to do several years ago, but I hadn't learned everything I needed to know. I'm hoping the book will help many who are struggling with having had the surgery and gaining weight back or trying to decide to have the surgery or not. Knowing what I know now, I do believe I could have done this without the surgery.

susan1713
on 3/18/14 4:16 am - Simi Valley, CA

Hi there, I also had my surgery back in September/2004. (Can't believe it was 10yrs ago this year) I weighed 398 the morning of my surgery...I would eventually over approximately two years lose a total of 230 lbs getting down to about 165. Over the past 3 or 4 years, about 30-45 lbs have creeped back on and while I know I'm no where near where I was in 2004, I too didn't take the time and re-train myself back then to eat the right/health way.  Unfortunately for me, I lost my mother whom I was extremely close to about 10 months after my surgery - which threw me way off course - I went into complete shut down for about a year and that was tough. While the weight came off, there was no focus on creating a new lifestyle or relationship with food. The only support group in my area also discontinued and besides the loss of my mother, the loss of "food", and then the friends I had made at the support group, I felt very alone back then.  It took me several years to slowly come through the grieving process and I know I'm very fortunate to have maintained a pretty low weight (in comparison to where I was)...but today, 10 years out - I wish there was more for people in my position.  I don't want to ever go back to where I was and these last few pounds scare me to death.  I am now working on losing this new weight slowly and in a healthy way as well as educating myself more about nutrition and vitamins.

I commend you on your journey and your goal to write a book.  I often have searched for people 5, 6 now 10 years out and "we" are so hard to find.  Unfortunately, I have to say I was one of the "statistics" that spent about 18 months consumed with alcohol and not eating at all.  I ended up in the hospital twice for dehydration and all kinds of vitamin deficiencies.  I'm happy to say today, with a great network of family & friends I am sober! 

However - I'm back faced with FOOD and where do I go from here....

Well, I didn't mean to waste your time and I see that your post actually came out just about a year ago but it was the only one I could find similar or near to my surgery date with the most recent contact to this site.  

I will keep looking for support & information as I continue my journey. I don't regret the choice I made 10 yrs ago...but I do believe deeply that support groups could have and would have made a huge difference for someone in my cir****tances.

Take care!

GloryGirl
on 3/18/14 5:49 am - Columbia, MO

Hey Susan, I did write my book and have now lost over 260 pounds (264 to be exact). The title of the book is Sweet Grace: How I Lost 250 Pounds and Stopped Trying to Earn God's Favor by Teresa Shields Parker. It's available on Amazon at this link: http://amzn.to/KzSLuS. I discovered the secret for my success. I gave up processed sugar and flour. My book tells more and I hope you will read it. Right now the Kindle is on sale for $5.99 this week only. So check it out.

I would love to know how to share this book with the OH community. I am convinced those of us who go to the drastic mesasure of surgery are sugar addicts the same as alcoholics with alcohol. We have to face the fact that we have to give up processed sugar in order to be free. I feel so awesome now. I am more connected to myself and others, especially my husband. He loved me through thick and thin, but my love for him drastically changed when I began focusing on my issues and taking control of them. 

Please get my book and then connect with me on my Facebook page where I post a ton about weight loss and sugar addiction. It is www.facebook.com/TeresaShieldsParkerWriter.

Also feel free to email me directly at [email protected].

Look forward to hearing your success story. Oh, also there is a study guide for the book: Sweet Grace Study Guide, also available on Amazon.

Sweet Grace for Your Journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Writing a book
GloryGirl · 2 replies · 875 views
Sad - no posts since 2008!
Ruth S. · 1 replies · 812 views
HAPPY SurgeryVersary!
TberryRose · 0 replies · 872 views
FYI: Gastroparesis and WLS
SUPERMANs_Wife · 1 replies · 1128 views