Hospital Stay Pain Meds???

Debi B.
on 6/10/04 1:49 am - Bellport, NY
Does anyone have an opinion on the following: To have a self-pumped drip or an epedural? I understand the pros and cons to be.... Drip............ Pros - no over medicating, no needle in the back. Cons - major pain when waking up, enough pain here and there, that may hinder you wanting to get your butt up and walk. Not enough if you are have more then usual pain. Epidural........... Pros - constant medication, making walking and waking easier. Enough medication you shouldn't have much "real" pain. Cons - Constant needle in your back , (laying on that needle for 2 or more days.), over medicating. What are your thoughts?
hope4life
on 6/10/04 2:05 am - W. Bridgewater, MA
My honest opinion and this is just from my experience only....when I meet the anesthesiologist I am going to request the drip because I, to make a long story short, didn't have the best of luck with the last 2 epidurals in the past and I DO NOT want to have it again. But that is just MY experience. If I am feeling pain and miserable and the drip doesn't work, well, I will most definately be asking for more or stronger medications. I am a big wuss when it comes to pain. I have a very low tolerance for pain. But that is just what I am choosing to do. If you want the long version, I'll be happy to go into it. I just don't want to bore you. That is my opinion anyways. I think that this also is a very personal choice. Epidurals are good. They just didn't work for me. When you go in and talk to the anesthesiologist maybe they can shed more light for you. But I do know that I do not want an epidural. I hope this helps and if you want to talk more about it, I am more than willing. ((((HUGS)))) Erin
Debi B.
on 6/14/04 4:12 am - Bellport, NY
Thank you sooooo much for giving me your insite! And even though I do realize it is a personal choice, I would LOVE for you to tell me your "ordeal". (Sorry that you had to have one though). I want to get all the insite I can, because for some reason, this is a hard decision for me. In some way I wish they would just choose for me. Congratulations on your Sept 2nd Date.....I will be thinking of ya. --Debi
hope4life
on 6/17/04 2:02 am - W. Bridgewater, MA
Hi Debi, OK you asked for it...LOL....April 27th 2001, I gave birth to my stillborn son Ryan. But when I found out that he had no heartbeat I flipped. The doctors and nurses promised that I would have NO PAIN...I told them I don't want any pain. I don't want to feel a thing. So after giving me some really good stuff I was OK for a while. Then they decided to do an epidural. Well, it only worked 1/2 way through my body. I could still feel pain only on my left side. I told them so. Finally by morning after doping me up the whole entire time and many arguments with the epidural guy who insisted that all was OK I said NO its not OK I FEEL ONLY 1/2 my body. Finally by morning after a painful and unrested night, the nurses and doctors told me that they have given me the maximum amout of drugs they are legally allowed to. If they gave me any more morphine, I will OD. I think the loss of my son may have contributed to my not allowing the drugs to work like they should have. I won't go on with the rest of the birth because that was absolutely pure HELL. In this case with Ryan, there were a number of reasons why it didn't work. I honestly don't think it was the doctors fault. Just the experience itself and I don't want to take the risk of it happening again. Just in case. Then when I had my daughter by a planned C-Section on Feb. 2003 the anesthesiologist attempted to put it in my back 3 times. When they pull that stinking needle out every time, it HURTS. I was already uptight with this pregnancy because I lost my son 2 yrs prior so I took a deep breath and told him this is his last shot to get it cuz I'm not going through with it. The problem was that I was not bent over far enough to him to be able to put the needle in correctly. But he should have reminded me or told me to bend over more, it is his job to do so. But luckily I remembered from when I had my stillborn and having it done then that I needed to bend way over. This anesthesiologist was a brand spanking the new guy too. But once I bent over he got in in perfectly and it worked great once he got it in. That is my story. That is why I don't want to have an epidural. I am afraid of them having to insert and to have to redo because of not getting the right spot or it only working 1/2 of my body. But please, please, please don't let my experience ruin it for you. When I had my 1st baby, born April 1999, he was born by emergency c-section and they did a spinal and it was the best thing that ever could have happened to me. The instant pain relief was oh so good. That is why when I had Ryan I had no qualms about having an epidural until I experienced what I had. Then when I had my daughter it was at a different hospital with a brand new anethesiologist on staff. So there were many different factors here but by my own choice, I just don't want to risk it and I would prefer to have the PCA pump and pump my own pain meds in. I have had good and minor bad experiences with epidurals. But that is it. If you have any other questions or whatnot, please e-mail me and we can talk about it. Erin
Debi B.
on 6/17/04 2:37 am - Bellport, NY
Wow! Thank you for re-hashing those experiences. I'm so so sorry about your son. Don't worry, I will remember everyone experiences something different, but I do appreciate you telling me your story. So, I hope your prep for 9/2 is going well! I'm ready.............. I really want to start doing the right thing before the date.....but I don't seem to. Maybe I should of had a doc that insisted on dieting before the surgery. I'm going to an OH seminar in NYC on June 26th. It should be interesting. At first I was leary about going, but now I think it should be fun. Well, again, Thank you for your story! Talk to you again someday, Debi
hope4life
on 6/17/04 3:04 am - W. Bridgewater, MA
Oh wow, I didn't know that there was one coming to NYC!! I would love to go. *sigh* Is that on a Saturday and do you have to live in NY to be able to go? Erin
Debi B.
on 6/17/04 12:19 pm - Bellport, NY
Yep, it is on a Saturday. I'm sure you don't have to be from NYC. All welcome. I don't know how many towns they go to. Actually someone set up an arrangement with Red Roof Inn for "cheap" rooms in a good hotel, close to the site. (I say "cheap" because it is still $140 a night). Below is the website for the seminar (w/dinner & dancing). And the letter talking about Red Roof Inn. I hope you deciede to come...... =================================================== I can't find the Red Roof Information, maybe the man named at the bottom of this letter would know.... Debi, Obesityhelp is excited to announce a regional event in New York City area. The event date June 26th, 2004. As a part of Obesityhelp's on going "OH hits the road" plan we will be holding a regional event in the greater NYC area. ObesityHelp.com is pleased to announce a special outreach initiative throughout 2004. In an effort to bring the resources and support of ObesityHelp to the community level, OH has launched a face-to-face program that allows professionals, volunteers, and supporters to meet throughout the United States via regional events. Our next meeting is very near you! Location: New York, NY. Ramada New Yorker Hotel 491 8th Ave. and 34th St. New York, NY 10001 Date: June 26th, 2004. Schedule: Registration begins at 1:00 pm Program begins at 2:00 pm until 10 pm. Food will be served. Please see the following URL to get more information about the event. New York Event Website Debi, do you think that pre-ops in your area might enjoy coming this event to learn more about the surgery? There is not better place for someone struggling with obesity to learn and enjoy "community" than within an OH meeting! As a special incentive for you; if you are preop and you join us at the meeting you will receive a special free gift just for coming. Post-ops who bring someone who is considering having the surgery will also receive a special gift. Listen to what others said about or Texas meeting held in May 2004: "I had such a remarkable time in Arlington. Here's a BIG thanks to everybody that had a hand in planning such a wonderful event. It was fabulous to meet and visit with people who have been & are in your own shoes." "I truly immersed myself in the experience and I came home feeling a renewed sense of faith in myself and in others. Thank you for returning to me the love and the compassion that I hope I brought to each of you." "I must say that I really grew as a person at this convention and my hubby finally got it." "I must say that I had such a wonderful weekend, and enjoyed meeting everyone. To have people come up to me that have been following my journey was just awesome !!" "Thank you so very much to ObesityHelp.com for all you countless hours of hard work, organization, and your many wonderful volunteers. You are all amazing people, and I feel totally blessed to have shared this time with you!" "I would like to Thank everyone I meet. I have never felt so welcome in such a crowd. I felt at home. You all are a great family to have and I am glad to be a part of your family." Can't wait to join us? Register for the event here: https://www.obesityhelp.com/SecurePayment/NYRegistration.php Debi, thank you for taking the time read this announcement. If you cannot make this event this year, why not pass the information to your support group and friends. We look forward to seeing you soon! Sincerely, Bo McCoy Outreach and Events Manager [email protected] 866-957-4636 ext 365
Oh, Donna
on 6/17/04 2:55 pm - North Bay Area, CA
I hate epidurals. They don't work on me. I had a c section and felt the cutting! BIG BURNING sensation. I never want to feel that pain again. The child prior to that, it only took on 1/2 of my body for only about 30 min. Try having a vaginal birth on a 9lb 8oz baby without pain meds!!!!!!!! OUCH. During that birth I was stuck so many times in my spine, I was worried they would cripple me.... paranoia? maybe, but it HURT. I don't know if I have a choice or not, but if asked, I would not go the epi route.
Debi B.
on 6/18/04 11:22 pm - Bellport, NY
Wow! Thank you for your input. I'm paranioid about the spine/cripple thing also. Maybe, if for no other reason, drip will be my choice. I've leaned that way even before I posted my question. (I think I'm toppleing - hahahha). Thank you again. Debi
Most Active
Recent Topics
Writing a book
GloryGirl · 2 replies · 874 views
Sad - no posts since 2008!
Ruth S. · 1 replies · 812 views
HAPPY SurgeryVersary!
TberryRose · 0 replies · 872 views
FYI: Gastroparesis and WLS
SUPERMANs_Wife · 1 replies · 1127 views