What's your fave Christmas tradition?

Dea J.
on 11/29/05 1:10 am - Huntsville, AL
Hey Sept Board Family! Please share with us your favorite Christmas traditions. I'll go first - I love the time that my family decorates the Christmas Tree - we listen to Christmas music and share some snacks and eggnog. Then I just love Christmas eve when we read the true Christmas story from the bible and open 1 present. Sugar-Free Eggless Egg Nog 1 (1oz) pkg sf instant vanilla pudding mix 5 1/2 c milk (I like to use 1%) 2 T Splenda Granular 1/4 t cinnamon 1 1/2 t nutmeg ***I did not like - will omit next time I make it*** 1 t vanilla extract Whisk all together in a large bowl and set in the fridge to thicken. It will get really thick (not like pudding, but thicker than regular eggnog) - some like it that way. I usually add a splash of milk to each serving and give it a quick stir. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with more nutmeg or cinnamon if desired. - hugs - dea
Pixielf~*
on 11/29/05 9:26 pm - in the forest........., MO
Revision on 09/30/13
Getting ready for the holidays itself would be decorating... We have a HUGE outdoor Candyland display... Huge is the operative word here... and everyone loves it.. (we are in the process of setting it up right now).. Then inside we have a gingerbread village display (lighted) and I have a Elf village display (this is a big one too)... and then the Victorian village display.. Unfortunately we are not going to be able to put this one up this year as we just moved into a new house and don't have the family room renovations completed yet. It is that large. Well over 200 houses and three train systems, waterfall, mountains ..you name it... it takes about two complete days to set it all up and it will fill the entire room... Can you tell we like the holidays???? *s* On the tradition part... on Christmas Eve the T.V. goes off... computer is turned to NORAD Santa tracking.. Christmas music in the background.. playing board games with the kids (teenagers) and eating cheese, crackers, fruit...eggnog and seeing where Santa is at RIGHT NOW... then before everyone goes to bed we each open one present... afterwards Mike and I turn off everything save for the lights and just snuggle up on the couch in the stillness of the new Christmas morning... it is very magical.... Thanks for asking.. Elizabeth~
Dea J.
on 12/1/05 11:46 pm - Huntsville, AL
Elizabeth~! WOW - I would love to see your Candyland display - please post pix! I love riding around and looking at all the pretty flashing lights - I never - ever get tired of them! I just love this time of year - so many special family times. I hope you have a GREAT & Blessed Christmas! - hugs - dea
KGSlaugh
on 12/1/05 1:29 pm
Thanks for the egg nog recipe. Well, I am married now and we have moved so much with the military that we haven't really started a set of traditions. We have been home in BHAM for the past 2 years and the best part is going to the church where we were married. I love taking communion, seeing old friends from high school and when we turn the lights low, light candles and sing silent night. it gets me every year--so beautiful. -KT
Dea J.
on 12/1/05 11:48 pm - Huntsville, AL
Katie, Your welcome - hope you like it! I love going to our Candlelight Christmas Eve Service @ church - And I love my church family! I love this time of year and the closeness and family time - it's just the BEST! I hope you have a GREAT & Blessed Christmas - hugs - dea
swimmom20878
on 12/4/05 2:10 am - Gaithersburg, MD
Hi Dea - Well, we celebrate Chanukah and I just love to have the house filled with the delicious smell of potato latkes, not exactly a low carb treat but once a year is not too bad! We light several menorahs, each of the kids has their own and open gifts for 8 nights. But also like to enjoy the Christmas festivities, I love to drive around and see the lights and displays and I love the Christmas songs on the radio! Happy holidays to you! Love, Sandy
KGSlaugh
on 12/4/05 7:11 am
mmm..i love latkes and noodle kugel and matzo ball soup. i had some close family friends growing-up and we always got to celebrate the jewish holy-days. such a cool experience as kid! do u mind if i ask for your latke recipe? thanks, katie
Dea J.
on 12/4/05 11:23 pm - Huntsville, AL
Sandy, I just love the smells of the holidays and being with family and friends. I would like your potato latke recipe also. Have a GREAT & Blessed Chanukah! Happy Holidays! - hugs - dea
Most Active
Recent Topics
Writing a book
GloryGirl · 2 replies · 870 views
Sad - no posts since 2008!
Ruth S. · 1 replies · 806 views
HAPPY SurgeryVersary!
TberryRose · 0 replies · 867 views
FYI: Gastroparesis and WLS
SUPERMANs_Wife · 1 replies · 1120 views