Still taking protein?

GloryGirl
on 3/15/06 9:28 pm - Columbia, MO
How many of you guys are still doing a protein shake? At 17 months should we still be doing protein? I stopped about 3 months ago because I had plateaued. I dropped 10 months over the last three months but now I'm plateauing more and I'm MUCH hungrier and unfortunately can eat much more. Any suggestions pro or con the protein? I had been doing the liquid protein in Crystal Light every morning. I was getting about 36 grams of protein. I guess I could just start it again and see. Appreciate any insight.
SweetSherri
on 3/15/06 9:57 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Teresa, I was at a similar point as you and just started taking it again. I was doing 2 scoops in 1 drink once a day (23 g protein/scoop). Recently, I was diagnose with hypoglycemia. My sugar bottoms out (lowest so far is 37!!). So...I'm to eat 3 meals & 3 snacks per day and have a high protein/low carb diet. I do 1 scoop of protein (diluted) for 2 of the scacks. It's too soon to tell if it's doing any good yet in the weight-loss area. I haven't had any real low sugars since starting this at least and that's saying alot! What I have found to help me with the weight loss is water. LOTS of water! Not just the 64 oz...but closer to 140 oz/day. And for me, it has to be WATER, not crystal light, in order for me to lose. Sherri
basketmom
on 3/16/06 2:22 am - Fulton, MI
Teresa- I still drink a protein shake every morning. It's routine for me. I figure it doesn't hurt me...not sure if it helps either. I was told at my 1 year to lower my protein slightly so I would stop losing. I can't say that I really lowered it because I didn't really track it that closely but, I have been maintaining my weight loss for the past several months. I can say that I have added a few carbs to my diet in the past few months so, I figured that is why I am maintaing my current weight. Teri
Piggybabe
on 3/16/06 3:46 am
My doctor & nutritionist told me that I would have to do the "high protein" thing for the rest of my life because of the malabsorption issues that we have. I drink high-protein hot cocoa midmorning and then a high-protein shake in mid-afternoon. I can't imagine doing without that, now. They say that a "minimal" protein amount is your current weight times .3 That would be about 48 grams for me, but I keep mine closer to around 60 and I feel great! I have LOTS of energy and my hair is healthier than ever. My complexion even looks better!! I am also still losing weight--I have about 20 lbs. to go. I really don't ever expect to quit drinking and eating high protein! Blessings, Pam
SweetSherri
on 3/16/06 11:28 am - Indianapolis, IN
Speaking of high protein.... I just got in an order from BariatricEating. I had ordered some of the microwave pork rinds. They are only 130 calories a serving and 23 grams of protein!! Fantastic for a snack!! I also tried a new protein drink they have that is Nectar Cappuccino. It is 90 calories and 23 grams of protein per scoop. According to the instructions, you can make it a warm drink as well as cold. Can't wait to try it tomorrow! Already tried the pork rinds though and they were yummy! Sherri ps...Is there such a thing as too much protein??? Between shakes, pork rinds, and food, calories, fat & carbs was where the dietican wants them but I had 132 grams of protein!! Too much??
GloryGirl
on 3/16/06 11:37 am - Columbia, MO
Thanks everyone for your answers. I think I'll go back to my GNC liquid protein in crystal light each morning and see what that does for me.
Phoenix
on 3/17/06 12:28 am - Bellport, NY
I still drink protein shakes. When I don't have them I have a high protein snack, like soy pasta chips or a soy protein bar.
Lynn J
on 3/19/06 12:21 am - LA
Teresa, I still drink protein shakes. I will drink them forever. I mix 1 and 1/2 scoops of powder with 5 ozs of water and 4 ice cubes. I blend in my Magic Bullet with a little SF syrup. I love my shakes. I drink 2 or 3 shakes a day and they really fill me up. I use Champion Nutrition Pure Whey Stack Cocoa Mochaccino. Lynn J., lap RNY 9/29/04 -159 lbs.
Ruth S.
on 3/20/06 11:19 am - Orlando, FL
i did the proteins at the hospital but then my doc said to lay off the protein shakes cause he preferred for me to have the proteins from meats and that is still true today...however i have tried different protein shakes in the past and hadn't found anything substantial plus some the shakes were making me sick due to the sugar so I didn't take them for a long time. i went to a support meeting and the leader gave me a sample of Isopure and it was GREAT and I loved. I also tried the Herbalife protein drink and that was good as well (in chocalate). Both are these are light, frothy, good tasting and no gritty bitter aftertaste. So I'm down to wanting to lose my last 20 lbs by 5/9 when I see my surgeon for the last time so I'm taking 2 shakes a day and walking at least 20 min on the treadmill and around my job complex. So I'll see how I do in a few days!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Writing a book
GloryGirl · 2 replies · 875 views
Sad - no posts since 2008!
Ruth S. · 1 replies · 812 views
HAPPY SurgeryVersary!
TberryRose · 0 replies · 872 views
FYI: Gastroparesis and WLS
SUPERMANs_Wife · 1 replies · 1128 views