Marathon time??

jcpozanc
on 8/22/08 1:11 am - West Saint Paul, MN
Hi all, I never thought that I would ever be able to contemplate running an endurance event like a marathon.  However, with the weight loss this last year and my new love for working out, I am thinking about what is the next challenge for me.  I have the opportunity to train for a marathon that would happen January 2009 (I have only done 5Ks so far).  I am  going to talk to my doctor about possible nutritional implications because of this - is my body capable of bringing in enough nutrients/calories to sustain running and a training regimen? What are the complications that might arise?

So, September friends - What are your thoughts about this? Does anyone have any literature they can site about bariatric patients and endurance events? Thanks for any help you can pass along.

JCP
kmvanvliet
on 8/23/08 11:27 am - Manchester, NH

I don't have any advice to offer you, but I wanted to say Wow to you for even being in a place where you can consider doing a marathon.  I tried to train for a 5k a while back and decided that I don't like to run, so I gave it up.  I walk a lot now, but I can't imagine ever being able to run a marathon.  Good for you and good luck!

"I am not the skin I'm in, but the soul within."
Amanda G.
on 8/27/08 1:06 pm - Lapeer, MI
the idea of doing a marathon for me is just crazy still, I just did a 5k last saturday in flint michigan i was so proud of myself to do it in under an hour that was huge for me, but if you think you could do it id talk to your dr and go for it.
personally with the 5k i found myselt very dehyrated after the event and spent most of the day attempting to get re-hydrated it was hard but soo worth it!!
MC 06/2009
MC 09/2009

MC 11/2009
D&C, polyp removal, and division of partial septum 4/20/2010

Most Active
Recent Topics
Over 4 years out!
mom23reds · 0 replies · 1174 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 814 views
Being way to hard on myself???
swtmelissa · 2 replies · 846 views