my surgery sept 13th but cant decide wether sleeve or bypass is best?

sallysmam
on 7/29/10 6:22 am - United Kingdom
my surgery is sept13th im booked for a gastric sleeve but still have time to change it to gastric bypass. iv researched them both at depth but still change my mind daily as i dont know anyone who has had either opperation i would like your oppinions on which opperation you think is best or know of someone who has had it and how it went etc.
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/10 12:49 pm
 Hi there.  

I've not had my surgery yet but when I met with the surgeon he recommend the bypass (RNY) and not the sleeve.  The two reasons he gave are: (1) there is no long term statical data on the sleeve; no long term studies on the overall health impact  (2) if something should ever happen where you need to reattach you pouch and stomach you can.  My surgeon said that in the 30 yrs he's done this surgery he's only ever had to do it once and it was due to the gentleman getting bowel cancer.  They had to remove some of his lower intestine and to do so it was easier having the full stomach.  

Which ever you choose I'm sure it will be right for you.  All the best!!!
sallysmam
on 8/1/10 5:03 pm - United Kingdom

Hiya,

I had to give them my desision friday night and i chose to have the bypass [RNY].. im a lot happier and confident i made the right choice. Pleased now i had second thoughts after booking the sleeve, if i had known more facts at first i wouldnt of even considerd it. There no 5yr [long term] data but  there is 1 loged  for the sleeve. statical 4yrs data taken just a couple of month ago. what alarmed me where the success rates... last 4 yrs bypass[RNY] 88% HAD KEPT THERE WEIGHT OF.   Last 4yrs Sleeve 33% HAD KEPT THERE WEIGHT OF. I think them odds of it not working are to high. Know you can have bypass done later if needed but im 53yrs old, its costing me £8,000 for my op i will never have that amount of money spare again. 1 try is all i have.  im very very excited iv saved and planed for years and only 6 MORE WEEKS  to go, at this time of day i will of just beed admited and being shown around now, my op is in afternoon but not got exact time yet. i read others posts that are having their opp in sept and they talking about how scared they starting to feel as its getting closer, iv not got any fear whatsoever, my feeling is as if all my xmas's are about to come at once i realy cant see what there is to fear, its my new life my new begining i dont care what they do to get me on it....

ALL BEST WISHES WHEN YOUR TURN COMES AROUND.. Thankyou for replying to me

Melody272
on 8/5/10 12:37 am - Miami, FL
Hi Helen and thanks for the info, I did not know this !! ... I wanted to do the RNY from the begining cause I believe in doing things right the first time, and the other methods dont really have as high sucess rate as the RNY, plus I was afraid of cheating with the kitkats that I love so much. :) I'm scheduled for my bypass on December, ah I cant wait :)
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/10 3:02 pm
 Mmmmm KitKats....such a simple pleasure...LOL  I too believe the RNY is the right surgery for me.  I have my apprehensions but as my surgery date gets closer (Sept. 28th) the more comfortable I am with my whole decision.  I'm looking forward to regaining my life, one pound at a time.   All the best with your surgery.
Suite1
on 8/9/10 1:01 pm - Dayton, OH
My surgeon said pretty much the same thing.  He said the younger guys in his practice do a lot of the sleeve surgeries because it's the latest greatest thing and they consider it to be cutting edge.  My surgeon just isn't comfortable with the lack of long term data and believes the RNY has a greater long term success rate.

My friend who is mentoring me through the process had RNY 8 years ago last month and has kept off 110 of the 130 lbs she lost.   Her bloodwork comes back normal every month, she takes her vitamins daily and has had no problems.

I'm having the RNY on 9/14.  Want it to come faster but I hate to wish away the summer.

Good luck!
HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

ChristArtist
on 8/21/10 5:17 am
Wow...and I just decided to do the sleeve because it was less invasive.

Hey, Dayton, we just moved down from Columbus, OH to Houston...
I really wish I could get more info on nutritional deficiencies...that has me worried....
In His hands and under His wings,
~ Christi
Ps 63:7 "Because You are my help, I sing in the shadow of Your Wings."
Jojeki
on 8/24/10 10:07 am - Fall River, MA
I am scheduled for the RNY on 9/14.  I had surgery 5 yrs ago to correct a hernia and was referred to a Boston surgeon.  I made the appointment in Oct 2009 and had to wait until June 2010 just to get to see him.  When I finally met him he set me up for surgery for the RNY.  I was caught up in the whirlwind of making appointments, etc. that I didn't realize there was any other surgery.

Since reading this site I noticed that there were other options.  I tried to get an appointment for 5 weeks to discuss the differences and finally I am going on 8/26 to discuss the options in detail.  I most likely will still keep with the RNY surgery but want to be well informed.  At least I will have the opportunity to ask him all the questions I have been wanting to know the answers to.
HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

Most Active
Recent Topics
WHERE ARE THE SEPT 2010 AT
unknownbeauty · 0 replies · 828 views
2 year surgaversy
Cecelia B. · 3 replies · 1051 views
How is everybody doing?
DeterminedE · 0 replies · 1213 views
Goals met
Valarie R. · 0 replies · 835 views
Happy Surgerversary