Getting ready...

lelagoddess
on 8/8/12 11:44 am
So, what are people doing to get ready, emotionally or physically?

I'm buying some protein powder...trying not to overbuy, since people say your tastes change after surgery.  I'm replacing my magic bullet since i've had this one for over 5 years and it doesn't work the way it used to.  I've gottten chewable multivitamins and calcium (I always take calcium, it's not surgery related) 

I've told work--I don't have the final approval from insurance yet, so I had to give them a tentative (though probable) schedule.  My doc wants me out for a full 4 weeks since I'm a nurse and I'm having a band to sleeve revision--I think it's excessive, but I have extended sick leave that we can only use after a week so I have well over 4 weeks I can take.  I've told a few of my coworkers why, and the grapevine will handle the rest.  I wasn't going to--but I decided coming back after weight loss would make it obvious.  

I've been walking on my treadmill and doing yoga--trying to build up to more and more exercise. 

What is everyone else doing to get ready?  

Annasbell
on 8/10/12 5:35 pm - Arcadia, FL
RNY on 09/12/12
 I am scheduled for the 12th of September, it would have been earlier but I am avoiding downtown Tampa during the convention madness.

Today is my first day back from vacation, first day that I am really starting to work toward losing some weight pre-op.  I don't have any specific goals, just to get things rolling.  The last week before surgery will be a liquid diet to shrink my liver.  

I ordered chewable vitamins, iron, calcium and probiotics.  I also ordered a dozen samples of different protein powders from vitalady, and I am researching blenders for the puréed stage.  

I worked out in the pool today, plan on starting a walking program tomorrow (Today was my recovery from a weeks worth of vacation walking..Legoland, Disney, Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach....the list goes on....)

I have told my sister, my husband (of course!), and my best friend. I'm a little reticent to mention it to anyone else--say my in-laws that we spent last week with--because I don't want to deal with anyone else's opinions.

RNY (lap) 9/12/2012 |  Michel Murr |  SW243 | 5'6"

Sarah C.
on 8/11/12 4:42 pm - AR
RNY on 09/05/12

People often say that i'm an overachiever when it comes to planning and preparation.  Sadly, now I understand why! and now so will you!! 

I've been buying protein powder (have been drinking protein shakes for years, so this isn't new) but i've been stocking up . I'm taking my multivitamin and iron daily, not calcium due to history of kidney stones (approved by the doc), watching what I eat (to an extent) reading, researching, buying books, buyng clothes (not a lot, just some shirts that are smaller and a couple of pairs of pants, all clearance and uber cheap).  I've been waiting 30 minutes after eating to drink anything.  trying to take smaller bites and chew more fully, but that's been tough.  I'm sure that's a lesson i'll learn very quickly after surgery!

I've been stocking up on non-perishable foods like SF jello, SF popcicles, soft foods, broth, pureed soup, SF pudding, etc.  I do need to buy unflavored protein powder to add to these things, but haven't just yet.  The day I go for my pre-op is the day I'll be getting a bunch of stuff. 

I had been worried about taking my meds that aren't chewable, but I just read about getting a pill crusher and will likely do that this weekend. 

My exercise has been lacking. 

I'm also seeing a therapist.  I saw one for my initial "review" but decided that I had some skeletons in my closet that I needed to deal with before and after surgery.  I'm trying my best to set myself up for success (well, except the exercise thing).  

As far as telling people, initially I didn't tell anyone save my family and my closest friends, but then I decided well...If I'm one of the unlucky ones who randomly vomits after eating/drinking, I'd best tell my coworkers, not to mention the fact that i'll need a couple weeks off for my surgery/recovery.  And last week...I said screw it.  I don't need other people's "approval" for having this surgery so I posted a lengthy note on FB and said if you support my decision, thank you, but if you judge me, don't tell me.  I don't want to know.  The ones that MATTER already know and support me fully.  My long time best friend, in fact, cosigned on a Care Credit card for me since my prior bankruptcy wouldn't allow me to have one.  I've saved just less than half of my bill and know I'll be able to continue the process.  if that's not a vote of confidence, I don't know what is!  It's also another form of accountability.  

This weekend I'm working on setting up the second bedroom because I realized I may need some help post-surgery.  not 24-hour care, but I may need someone.  I've not decided yet about my dogs.  I think I'll board them for my hospital stay, but am not sure about after as it's expensive boarding 2 dogs. 

I made a list of things Ill need/want to take to the hospital.  My doctor even recommended bringing a photo of my animals to help me relax.  I thought that was a dang good idea!  I've been stocking up on books on my kindle fire, too. 

Oh my cow... my friends are right.  I just hope I'm not jinxing myself with my pre-op prep.  especially since I seem to be  missing one major element....exercise!

So...that's what I'm doing....plus i'm sure there's more! haha

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sept 2012 Sleevers check in
lisa2job · 0 replies · 722 views
6 Months
Diabolique · 3 replies · 790 views
Problems with my incision
jewellee9 · 0 replies · 689 views