Our surgeries should all be done!

Sarah C.
on 10/2/12 9:44 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
So....how are you?   What have you had for success?  Struggles?  Issues? Questions?  I'm interested to see what people say to "sound off" on any issues successes they've had!

Tomorrow marks 4 weeks since surgery for me.  I'm healing well, but I'm still struggling with food.  I've got yogurt, tuna, mashed potatoes (w/unflavored protein added), and eggs down I think.  But I'm afraid to try anything new! 

What are your soft food go-tos at this point?  Anyone have any recipes they'd like to share that they've tried so far?  

Just check in!  I want to know how everyone is doing.  One of the reasons I am glad we have this board is so we can see if others are experiencing the same things we are.  Folks who've had surgery months ago may have forgotten.  I know there are certainly things I'd like to forget!! 

Love and luck to all!
Keep up the amazing work! 

OOOH!!  Post pictures, too!! 
Sarah x

karynh
on 10/2/12 11:36 am - Tampico, IL
VSG on 09/26/12
doing good 6 days out trying to eat tomato soup
melaniepl
on 10/3/12 3:31 am - St. Petersburg, FL
RNY on 09/05/12
I'm a month out as well. On Moday, my surgeon cleared me to add new foods (carefully) as long as I avoid bread, so I'm skipping through the soft stage a bit. But while I was on purees for a couple of weeks, I did a lot of fat free refried beans with a little melted cheese and taco sauce, occasionally Wendy's chili (one makes several meals), bean with bacon soup, an ounce of cream cheese with a little peanut butter mixed in (all low sugar), and canned chicken with a little bit of blue cheese and wing sauce whirred up in the blender (makes it like a buffalo chicken dip).

The thing I've struggled with the most has been getting enough water. I switched to a Nalgene bottle and that's been a bit better, but it is SO hard to get all my liquids in every day. I'm also struggling to find a multi-vitamin that has everything we need and doesn't make me sick!

You're doing great! Keep it up! :D

Melanie
"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

lisa2job
on 10/5/12 2:59 pm - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
I am officially one month tomorrow , doing pretty  well......  I can eat  refried beans , tuna salad, chicken salad, I had some canned stew the other day , egg salad , yogurt, lots of soup .... pretty much that is what i have day in and day out other than my shakes....
my surgeon said that i can start solids next week kinda worried about that one not sure what to eat .... 
I had my first stall the 2 week out for two weeks,  then I lost 4 lbs then I gained back two and now I am starting my cycle... grrrr   I am trying not to be a scale "*****" but I cant help it... lol

other than that things are great ,  I could excercise more ,  just cant motivate myself to walk like I should .....  tomorrow I need to find something that will help me  since I am off.  and I need to also start eating vegies every day per my surgeon.  

Hope everyone else is doing good also

amarie3579
on 10/7/12 1:20 am
RNY on 09/20/12
Lisa, I'm at that whole 2 week stall myself I have lost 20lbs. and now I'm stalled, really frustrating but I know our bodies are going through a huge change and just had major surgery, so I try to keep that in mind. Started all my vitamins. I can start to work out again next Wednesday so excited to know that I can get that ball rolling, maybe then the weight loss will start again. As for foods when I went to my 2 week check up, nutrionist said we can eat pretty much anything as long as it agrees with us. I tend to eat alot of chili, I also try to focus hard on getting my protien down. Easier said than done though. By the way this Thursday makes my 3 week mark.

Starting Weight: 345 lbs. Weight day of Surgery: 332lbs. Goal Weight: 160lbs.

lisa2job
on 10/7/12 7:17 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
thanks amaire,  I see we have similair weights and goals even though we went a different route wiht surgery I think our journey will be similair.   I sent you a friend request
and I feel ya on the chili thng I eat that a few times a week...  I also eat what I call noodleless lasagna...  taste jsut like lasagna w/o the noodles

amarie3579
on 10/7/12 11:07 am
RNY on 09/20/12
really, what is this noodleless lasagna? me and the hubby are getting tired of eating the same thing, and I'll go accept that request now

Starting Weight: 345 lbs. Weight day of Surgery: 332lbs. Goal Weight: 160lbs.

lisa2job
on 10/20/12 9:26 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
Noodleless lasagna: 
turkey sausage  ( i use jimmy dean breakfast type)
your favorite spaghetti sauce
italian seasoning
spinach ( not necessary but I like )
ricatta cheese or cottage  cheese  ( fat free or lo fat )
lo fat mozeralla cheese
parmesean cheese

I fry the sausge add the sauce, and italian seasonign.   take a litle rameken and layer the sauce mixture with spinach and the different cheese,  I broil for a few mintues till top is brown and bubbly.  super good and taste just like lasagna w/0 the noodle

lelagoddess
on 10/14/12 6:30 am
Hi guys!

I'm over 5 weeks post op.  I'm drinking a protein shake every AM, and a protein bar at some point during the day to get in most of my protein.  Chicken is ok, if it's covered with sauce...otherwise forget it!  Same with ground meat (learned that the hard way)).  I can handle a little lunch meat and a little cheese--that's lunch most days.  Then 2 bites of whatever the family is having and I'm DONE.  No bread, no rice, none of that crap. 

It's funny to me how much my tastes have changed.  I really like my food much more bland then before.  I had to throw away garlic hummus because the flavor was too strong! (and hummus is a great go to protein for me, BTW).  Nothing to spicy or sour, or salty or anything strong.  I'm wondering if that is going to last. 

I'm not getting all my flluid in...I know that, but I'm working on it.  I feel so full so often that I just cant take another sip.  I dring a large G2 everyday, and something else, which gets me close to 60oz of fluid, so I'm not that bad off.  

Have you all tried unjury?  The chicken soup is a must when you are sick of cold/sweet drinks.  And I just get the powdered cheese sauce to add to veggies/potatoes...and it's quite good!

lisa2job
on 10/20/12 9:31 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
I havent tried unjury chicken soup but I do have some unflavored one that I do use on occasion,  I find that I really like my choclate premier RTD in the AM  ,  and when I dont use that one I miss it...  I still am trying to incorporate more vegtables,  dont really have enough room to do that,  but i do try to eat one thing a day at least of veg or fruit along with my meat.   cheese I get allot of !! so happy I love cheese.  I did find just recently that its hard for me to tolerate spicy items   boooooooo I love love love spicy food and every time I try to eat it I get heart burn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Sept 2012 Sleevers check in
lisa2job · 0 replies · 723 views
6 Months
Diabolique · 3 replies · 790 views
Problems with my incision
jewellee9 · 0 replies · 689 views