Latest news on my DIL

Aime B.
on 11/9/07 6:59 pm - Baltimore, MD
Thought I'd fill you in on the latest news for my grandson. The plan is to deliver him at 28 weeks on November 30th. N is freaking out because they told her they will put a tube down her throat. She is under the impression she will be awake when this happens. She has asked me to speak to the doctors about not doing this. I will do my best to calm her fears. She has been able to hold fast in a room just off the CCU in the cardiac unit for 3 days now. Last week she was back and forth between the 2 units. She is becoming more stable each day. My grandson now weighs 1 lb 6 ozs. Still taking things one day at a time, but it does seem to be getting better. Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers.
Tabby C.
on 11/10/07 10:35 pm - West Alexander, PA
Oh Aime...your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry that you all are going through this. It will be a long road ahead for all of you. We have a very close personal friend that was delivered at 24 weeks and he is a junior in HS now and just got inducted into the National Honor Society on Thursday night. And they have come so far with care for premies since he was born. I'll be thinking of you. Hugs sweetie, Tabby
PUDYTAT
on 11/13/07 12:22 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
AIME, I CON'T TO KEEP YOU AND YOUR FAMILY IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS DAILY. AS A NEONATAL NURSE, WE'RE MAKING GREAT ADVANCES IN THE CARE OF THE VERY SMALL BABYS DAILY. THERE'S SO MUCH MORE BEING DONE NOW THAN EVEN TWO YEARS AGO. WE CAN'T AND NEVER WILL BE ABLE TO READ THE DOCTORS MINDS ON WHAT AND WHY THEY DECIDE TO DO THINGS IN CERTAIN WAYS. THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF FOR THE REASON THEY'RE GOING TO INTUBATE (TUBE DOWN THE THROAT) IS TO KEEP HER CARDIAC STATUS AS STABLE AS POSSIBLE DURING AN EVEN MORE STRESSFUL EVENT THAN WHAT'S ALREADY BEEN HAPPENING. THE ANESTHESIOLOGISTS CAN CONTROL HER BREATHING, KEEP A CLOSE MONITORING ON HER HEART RATE, BLOOD PRESSURE etc . . . I KNOW SHE WANTS TO BE AWAKE AND AWARE OF WHATS GOING ON DURING THE DELIVERY OF HER BABY BUT SOMETIMES, AS I'VE SEEN, MOMS GET SO STRESSED OUT WHEN THEY DON'T HEAR THE BABY'S FIRST CRY, THEY, THE MOMS START PANICING, WHICH IN TURN INCREASES THEIR HEART RATE, BLOOD PRESSURE, etc . . . I THINK YOU GET THE PICTURE, MORE STRESS TO THE ALREADY STRESSED SYSTEM. AFTER THE BABY IS BORN DON'T BE SUPRISED IF YOU CAN'T SEE HIM FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. THIS IS THE TIME THAT WE, THE NURSE'S AND DOCTORS ARE ASSESSING AND STABLIZING THE BABY. I WANT TO GIVE YOU A HEADS UP WHEN YOU FINALLY GET TO GO INTO THE NICU. THE BABY WILL BE IN A HEATED INCUBATOR (ISOLETTE) HE'LL HAVE A TINY BLOOD PRESSURE CUFF AROUND HIS ARM OR LEG. HE'LL HAVE LITTLE CENSORS W/ WIRES ATTACHED TO THEM CONNECTING HIM TO A MONITOR THAT KEEPS TRACK OF HIS HEART RATE, RESP EFFORT AND PULSE OX (HOW MUCH OXYGEN IS FLOWING THROUGH HIS SYSTEM) PULSE OX CENSOR WILL BE AROUND HIS FOOT, WRIST, IT MAY EVEN BE A TINY CENSOR ON HIS EAR. HE WILL ALSO BE INTUBATED BECAUSE BABIES THAT EARLY SOME TIMES HAVE A HARD TIME BREATHING ON THEIR OWN. HE MORE THAN LIKELY WILL HAVE, WHAT WE CALL UVC'S AND UVA'S. THESE ARE IV LINES IN HIS UMBILICAL CORD. IT MAKES IT EASIER AND LESS STRESSFUL ON THE BABY TO GIVE FLUIDS, COLLECT BLOOD FOR TESTS, etc . . . I HOPE I HAVEN'T OVERWHELMED YOU W/ THIS INFORMATION BUT I'M A FIRM BELIEVER OF BEING UP FRONT W/ ALL MY BABIE'S PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS. THIS WAY THEY'RE NOT SO SHOCKED WHEN THEY SEE BABY. MAY GOD BLESS YOU, YOUR FAMILY AND THE TINY MIRACLE THAT IS SOON TO BE BORN. MAY GOD HOLD HIM IN HIS HEALING HANDS, KEEP HIM SAFE, GUIDE THE HANDS OF THE SURGEON, NEONATOLOGISTS AND NURSES THAT WILL BE CARING FOR HIM. THIS WE PRAY, IN OUR LORD'S NAME, AMEN. AIME, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME W/ ANY QUESTIONS AND/OR CONCERNS RE: THE LITTLE MAN. I KNOW THIS IS ALL SO OVERWHELMING AND FRIGHTENING. UNFORTUNATELY I SEE THIS ON A DAILY BASIS BUT I THANK GOD THAT I CAN MAKE EVEN A SMALL DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF A NEWBORN AND THEIR FAMILIES. ALSO, CONTACT THE MARCH OF DIMES ORGANIZATION. THEY HAVE GREAT RESOURCES AND CONTACTS RE: PREEMIES. [email protected] DONNA, SFY
Aime B.
on 11/14/07 9:01 am - Baltimore, MD
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am prepared for the baby. I went through premie land twice. Both my sons were tiny. I am worried for my DIL.
hollywatson
on 11/14/07 12:28 am - Oil City, PA
Your family is in my prayers!! There are so many advances that have taken place over the years for preemies.....taking one day at a time is the best thing! Hugs, Holly
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 233 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1230 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 983 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 951 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1102 views