I found this article very interesting...

hollywatson
on 1/17/08 2:32 am - Oil City, PA
I found this on web, although I can't quite remember where....guess that's a sign of old age!....thought it was very interesting... Does Juice Fit into a Healthy Diet? Often when I counsel clients, one of the weight-loss topics we discuss is what they're drinking. Many people simply drink too many of their calories -- and this puts on the weight. Fruit juice is one drink many people overindulge in, and they do so because they assume it to be a healthy choice. Fruit juice can fit into your daily diet if you follow these two rules: Drink only 100-percent fruit juice, and monitor your portion sizes. Read the food label to find out whether a product is 100-percent juice. Beware of terms like "fruit drink," "fruit ****tail" or "fruit punch," all of which may indicate it is not 100-percent juice and is loaded with artificial flavorings and extra sugar. As for portion size, adults should drink no more than two cups (16 ounces) each day. This may vary depending on your age, body weight and gender, but it's a good general guideline. Although most adults need about two servings or cups of fruit per day, 100-percent fruit juice can count as one, or even two, of those servings. The problem arises when people drink more than this, and those extra calories turn into extra weight. But please keep in mind: Whole fruits do offer some benefits over juices. Whole fruits have more fiber than plain juice, and fiber helps you feel fuller longer. Also, a piece of whole fruit takes longer to digest than juice removed from the fruit, which keeps your blood sugar level steadier. And there's an additional satisfaction from chewing something instead of merely guzzling it down. So try choosing whole fruits over juices in your diet. Children don't need as much juice as adults. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, 1- to 6-year-olds only need 4 to 6 ounces of juice per day, while those ages 7 to 18 years need only 8 to 12 ounces. Again, we're talking 100-percent fruit juice. Even though obesity in children has often been linked to juice consumption, research has not found a link between consuming the recommended amounts of 100-percent juice and overweight in children. Bottom line: It's possible to fit 100-percent fruit juice into a healthy diet, but make sure to chose pure juice and enjoy it in moderation -- and continue aiming to make whole fruits a part of your daily intake. © 2007 Johns Hopkins University. All Rights Reserved. This article from Johns Hopkins University is provided as a service by Yahoo. All materials are produced independently by Johns Hopkins University, which is solely responsible for its content.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 230 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1226 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 980 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 947 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1097 views