Two Year Updates??

E velyn
on 10/1/08 9:29 am
The board has been so quiet lately.  I remember hearing that this would happen as we all got on with our new lives!  I'm hoping that some folks will check in on their two year surgiversary to let us all know how life is treating them - 2 years out!

tiffyb
on 10/2/08 9:30 am - Orange, CA

Hello October Sisters,
I hope all is well!  Well good news first.  I am down to 130!  My vitamins levels are all perfect.  I look better then I ever thought I would.  I am so glad to see that everyone is doing great! despite some issues, I completely feel this surgery saved my life.. 

Bad news..  About 5 months ago I started to not feel good.  I would have episodes to where I was feeling high anxiety, rushes of adrenaline, a 3rd person feeling when people would talk to me, confusion, and super tired, numb tongue.  This would happen about once a month then go away.  Saw my GB Doc and PCP.  They tested me for Hypoglycemia.  Which I was positive for.  Sent me to an endocrinologist.  Started testing my blood sugar 8 times a day and more when I was having this episode feeling.  Never did my blood sugar drop below 85.  Then this started happening once a week.  Each time stronger and longer then the last.  One time I didn't even remember driving home from work. I knew in my heart something was super wrong.  Made an appointment with my PCP again for the Next week.  One morning I woke up and just knew something was going to happen.  Didn't know what it was going to be but I could feel it.  My left side of face was numb. I woke up my son and told him I needed to go the ER.  Before I could even get to the car, i thought I was going to pass out.  Couldn't figure out how to open the car door.  I fell to the ground and told my Son to call 911.  Got to the ER and they told me I needed to see a neurologist.  While waiting for that approval and appointment for 3 days, these episodes would happen 5 times a day!!  It was so scary.  I went to an emergency visit with my PCP and had an episode there in her office.  Thank God so she could see what was going on.  Come to find out, I am having Temporal Lobe Seizures.  I have been through all kind of tests now to find out why.  EEG's MRI's. Etc..  Everything is negative. So that's a good thing.  No tumors or infection. But what is causing these??  No one seems to know.  And all say it cant be GB related..  I question that??
They have put me on Anti Seizure meds.  I have been out of work for 3 weeks so far.  I feel better, The side of my face isn't numb anymore and the episodes are still happening but not as strong or as often.  The more I increase my meds they said they will go away.  I increase to a higher dosage next week.  I have done some research about GB and Seizures.  It does happen in some cases but most is because of Hypoglycemia.  Which they have ruled out of cause.  Soooo..  That is where I stand. 

I am still Happy I had this surgery. I really feel i would be worse off if I didn't.  

I cant wait to see every ones posts as their 2 years approach.  

Can you believe it has been 2 years??

Luv and Hugs!!!
Tiff

E velyn
on 10/10/08 10:02 am
E velyn
on 10/10/08 10:04 am

Hi there Tiff!  Sorry to hear about the temporal lobe seizures, but at least they found out what was going on and are treating it!  That must have been so scary!  Are your doses regulated by now?

Congratulations on your two year surgiversary!  I agree, this surgery saved my life too!

annette R.
on 10/2/08 9:52 am - ithaca, NY
Hi Evelyn and all the October Babies,

It has been one bumpy ride with more potholes ahead. Even so, this has been the best thing I have ever done for myself.

I am off all 10 meds and no longer need injections in my knees to walk. I jump on a trampoline with my granddaughter.

My weight is down 207 pounds. I haven't EVER been this size in my adult life.

Ahh yes, the bumps. At first I spent an extra 10 days in the hospital for an infected blood clot. That felt annoying!

Last Fall I caught every sniffle and cold in town, had bronchitus, developed pneumonia, and became dehydrated due to a prolonged high fever. Most irritating.

I developed periferal neuropathy in my legs and arms. This is usually caused by a vitamin defeciency, the Neurologist said mine was caused by rapid weight loss. I never miss my supplements and all labs were perfect. Bummer.

I have had 2 surgeries for bowel compression, scar tissue & adhesions, and twice for hernias. Tomorrow morning I have the third hernia surgery and will have a mesh tummy. OH RATS!!

Despite all this, I actually feel wonderful. It is fun to move, walk, run and jump without feeling like I am dead. Reaching in my closet and slipping into a size 2 or 4 instead of squeezing into a tight size 28 is simply marvelous.

I hope the past two years have been all you dreamed of and more. They have been good for me.

Kisses
Annette
 Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

E velyn
on 10/10/08 10:08 am
HI Annette!  So nice to see your update! 

Sorry to hear about your "bumps in the road."  The peripheral neuropathy due to rapid weight loss is a new one to me.  We always thought that keeping our vitamin levels up would be all we needed to do - who knew?  And the hernias and scar tissue and adhesions - that seems to just be the luck of the draw. I'm sorry that happened to you.  Hopefully this surgery will be the last one you need to fix things up!

I am so glad that you feel wonderful!  And to be in a size TWO!  Yikes.  I am happy for you.

PUDYTAT
on 10/3/08 9:18 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
Hey there to all my October sisters,
          What a difference almost two years make. Did we ever think that when we all started on this board so eagerly that it would dwindle down like it has? 

I know and love that we've all gotten on with our new, improved lives and I'm so proud of every one, but it would be so nice if every once in a while, like now we hear how everyone is doing.

I've been having a wonderful year so far dispite still getting depressed at times over mom not being here. It seems sometimes as if she just died last week and at other times, it feels like it's been forever. I still can't believe that it's been 17 months since she died. Our (my sister and mine) world will never be the same again.

I haven't met my personal goal of 150#'s yet, I go between 164 and 166, not complaining though, it's so much better than where I started out at, 313#'s. I haven't had a really serious asthma attack in almost 2 years, don't take any more medicine for hypertension, no heel spurs, no more painful knees or back, can and do walk up and down 4 flights of stairs at work and I tend to run down the halls of my areas of the hospital instead of walking. I've gone from a size 26/28 to a 14/16. I just today went out and bought new bras for the first time, yes, I said for the first time. I went from a 44c to a 36c, the girls are long floppy pan cakes now instead of fluffy muffins. 

My surgeon never set a goal for me. I haven't been back to see my surgeon since my first post op follow up, 1st, because that was the time period that mom was first diagnosed w/ lung cancer and she was so much more important than me, 2nd, it's a 5 hour round trip drive for a 15 minute visit and 3rd, my PCP can just as easily, and does, do all my follow ups and labs. Besides which, he's so conviently located in the hospital I work in, so if I ever don't feel good, which by the way hasn't happened, he's right there.

So, enough about me, how has every one been doing since we all last chated? Hope to hear from everyone sometime or other.

Lots of love, kisses and blessings on all of you

DONNA, SFY (southern fried yankee)
E velyn
on 10/10/08 10:11 am
Hi Donna! So nice to see your post.

I'm sorry about your Mom.  My sister died this summer, and I am still mourning her.  Our world is  different now, just as you said.

I'm so glad to hear that your pain is gone, most of your meds are gone, and your asthma is virtually gone!   What a miracle these surgeries were!  You have done a wonderful job with yours, and I am so happy for you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 234 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1231 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 984 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 952 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1102 views