2 Years out

berts4
on 10/27/08 1:45 am - Rock City, IL
Today is my 2 year surgiversary!  My, how time flies.  Although I never reached goal and am still very confused by my nutritionist, I would not go back to where I was 2-3 years ago.  If I could just figure out how to lose these last 25-30 pounds, I would be perfectly happy.  I AM happy, don't get me wrong, but I just can't understand how I can eat so much less, so much healthier, exercise so much more, and nothing changes.  The "starvation mode" excuse does not cut it.  There is no way my body has been in starvation mode for 14 months.

I feel so much better, and can do so many things that I could not do before.  I look much better too, but that pretty much goes without saying.

At my 2 year check up, the doctor made me feel a bit better by reminding me that maintaining the same weight, without more than a 5 pound fluctuation for over a year is also an accomplishment.  That would have never happened "before".  "Before", I would have lost 20-30 pounds and gained back 25-40 or more.  So, in this way, I am successful.  It is small consolation.

My visit with the nutritionist, however, was not so great.  I still don't think that she understands our special needs.  She says that I should only have one shake per day, I only need 60 grams of protein per day and I can eat white carbs.  This is completely opposite of what I have read everywhere else.  SHE thinks that I should stay between 1200-1500 calories, with "45% carbohydrate, 25% protein and 30% fat "----So, with this thinking, I should eat mostly carbs, and the LEAST of my diet should be protein?  HOW can this be?????

I just wish there was a place to get the REAL low down on what will work for most people.  I KNOW that we are all different, but each program has a different protocol, and I am tired of trying them all.

That said, I think I will try to keep my protein at 40-50%, good carbs at 25% and 25% fat.  This is what I read somewhere and it seems like a decent option.  What I really want to do is not obsess over it so much.

I really thought that surgery would be a tool to help me eat less (which it IS), and that, along with more exercise, would enable me to be "normal" and lose weight into the "normal" range and keep it off with hard work.  I am horribly disappointed that is not the case.  I AM eating less and exercising more............I just can't help but be disappointed.

If anyone has any words of wisdom, please let me know.

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

Tabby C.
on 10/27/08 3:19 pm - West Alexander, PA
Dawn, I am so sorry that you are so disappointed, but I understand why you feel like you do.  You got a lot out of the surgery, but you didn't get everything that you wanted.  I don't understand what your nutritionist is saying, either.  I would think that if you are not at your goal, keeping your protein up around 90 grams would be best.  I would even keep the carbs as low as possible.  I notice when I eat more protein and less carbs I do better.  How about your water?  Are you getting all of that in?  What about mixing up your exercise some?  Try not to get discouraged.  Look how far you have come.  I hope the scale moves for you soon.

Hugs, sweetie.
Tabby Cumer 
"Failure is not when you make a mistake.  It is when you give up trying."

annette R.
on 10/27/08 10:46 pm - ithaca, NY
Dawn,

Please try to celebrate your success. You have come so far and none of this is without a struggle. Maintaining for two years is definately SUCCESS!!

The carb/protein/fat ratio seems wrong to me too. "Protein First" is what is drummed into our heads and I have never heard otherwise.

Is it possible to find a different nutritionist who specializes in WLS? Around here that is close to impossible.

Do you belong to a support group where you can bring up this topic? I know we are all different to some degree, but others may have good input for you.

You are still working the tool, still eating less and exercising more - Congratulations! Those are accomplishments to be proud of.

Annette

Annette     Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting           

Judy G.
on 11/4/08 12:08 am - Galion, OH

hey dawn...CONGRATS!!!!! i know exactly how you feel not reaching "goal"...BUT....have you taken into consideration the extra skin you have?? if you take the amount of excess skin you have off the scale weight i bet you would be close to goal!! thats what i was told...so i figure if i had all the loose skin taken off i would probably be about 170?? good enough for me!!! i am at 188 now so maybe i am at goal?? i have been stuck here for a long long time now...so hang in there...i have heard others say it took them over 3 years to reach "goal" so it is still possible for you to do!!!

hugs

E velyn
on 11/26/08 8:39 am

Hi Dawn!  First of all, congratulations for all you have accomplished!   Great job.

Secondly, I agree with the others that perhaps your nutritionist is off base.   All surgeons are different, but mine tells me to focus on protein first, then veggies when I hit a stall, or if I experience a regain and want to lose.  I'm still taking in 75 grams of protein a day (usually).  If I took in 45% carbs, my carb cravings would be back with a vengence! J
ust my two cents. 

Happy holidays to you and yours!

Diana_T
on 1/10/09 7:50 am - Kinzer, PA
I so understand what you are saying, however reading your blog made me sort of "get a grip"  I see some people that are size 6 and 8 after surgery and I am a size 12.  I feel like I want to weigh the 132 the charts at my doctors office say I should weigh and I weigh 153 instead.  my husband wants to shake me sometimes when I get in this crazy place in y head that says I am not doing well enough.  My doc reminded me last month that I have about 30 lbs of excess skin that I will not be able to lose and I need to have it removed or just move on and forget the scale.  I focus on how far I have come, how great I feel, how healthy I am and the fact that I once weighed 332lbs, had diabetes, kidney disease and heart problems now I am so healthy and so relieved. 

Yopu should check with a weightloss Surgery Dietician/nutritionist.  I went to Barix Clinics, they were great.  Check on line and see if there are any in your area.  Is this nutritionist recomended by your WS Doc? 

You have made amazing strides and your are an amazing woman.  We are all so lucky to have this tool and I hope you can find peace with the scale and remember it is only a number and you look fantastic!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 233 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1230 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 983 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 951 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1102 views