Surgery 10/20 - 2 weeks - and gaining weight!

Deana G.
on 11/5/08 1:35 pm - Rowland Heights, CA
I'm sooooo confused! I have been sticking to the protein shake diet since a week before surgery and lost some good weight before Lap Band surgery. But in the past three to five days I've been gaining almost a pound a day! What's up with that? I started exercising three days ago, just 20 minutes/day on an exercise bike, but it certainly isn't what I'd call strenuous or muscle building. I have kept track of every bite on The Daily Plate, and have not exceeded 900 calories/day since before surgery.

The biggest part of my surgery was a hernia repair that required a mesh covering of some sort on my diaphragm. My hernia was the largest my PCP has seen in 30 years of practice, so it was a significant change. Perhaps there's something going on with my body getting used to my stomach being below my diaphragm instead of in my chest cavity...I think it was pushing against my heart and causing high blood pressure. My BP is now below normal, so I should probably bring that up with my PCP...but the weight gain is baffling.

I see my surgeon next Thursday, a week from tomorrow, where I hope to get a bunch of questions answered. But has anyone else GAINED weight while sticking to a protein shake diet? SOOOOOOOOOO strange!

Deana G

susie64
on 11/6/08 2:16 am
I'm sorry to hear about your weight gain.  That certainly doesn't make any sense.  I have seen several people that had surgery around the same time that we have and they are all at a stall.  maybe you are retaining water for some reason.  Also make sure you have had your thyroid checked.  My levels were WAY off and now I'm on synthroid.  Good luck.

Highest Wt 278/Surg Wt 246/Current Wt 148.6/Goal Wt 145 (initial goal)   
Deana G.
on 11/6/08 10:22 am - Rowland Heights, CA
Thanks! I see my doctor next Thursday, so hopefully we'll get this figured out. I increased my water intake recently too, so hopefully things will get "flushed out."
Deana G

Shelly S.
on 11/7/08 12:21 am - Stillwater, OK
VSG on 12/13/12
I haven't been gaining, I just am not losing. It is so frustrating! I'm also tracking on the dailyplate and haven't gone above 900 calories. Right after surgery I gained about 10 pounds, I think from the IV fluids and gas. That finally came back off and I lost an add'l 5 pounds, but that's it. I also have an appt next week with my surgeon. I'm sure hoping he has some answers! I've also been getting very hungry, and am able to eat alot more than I would like to be able to. I'm really worried about the next few weeks before I can get a fill.

Shelly

Deana G.
on 11/7/08 11:00 am - Rowland Heights, CA
I agree - our bodies are SO finicky! I had hoped to lose a lot more by now, but at least I feel good. Just frustrated. And I'm hungry too, have so far been able to keep from cheating. I guess as a beginner, I'll just keep on keeping on!'

Thanks!
Deana G

Most Active
Recent Topics
Old habits die hard
vb2305 · 1 replies · 1290 views
Off Track
barigal1 · 0 replies · 1248 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 911 views