ALMOST 1 Year Anniversary

ec0576
on 9/1/09 5:42 am - NJ
Holy Cow ladies and gentleman it's almost 1 year ago we all had surgery.  Do you remember how anxious and excited we were last September, counting down the days until our surgeries!  Wow we have all come a long way.  Let's hear about it, share your stories.

I had Lapband surgery, in October 2008.  I am down a 56 pounds (come on 60)!  Feeling like a Barbie doll and loving it.  It still amazes me I had the surgery and my life is so wonderful. 
jennaflirt
on 9/11/09 8:07 am - Las Vegas, NV
It is crazy.  I had RNY 10/13/08.  I only got my date about 5 days prior so not much time to feel anxious.  I am down 133lbs, give or take 5, as I fluctuate.  I don't want to lose anymore.  I still don't eat right.  I hate eating meat.  Still can't fully digest it.  I do some seafood.  But mostly veggies.  I would kill anyone who tries to take away my cheez its.  I could honestly live on crackers and be happy.  I am in a size 4/6, which I have never been in my adult life.  Things are good.  Can't believe it has been almost a year.

Highest/Current/Goal
263/118/138

was size 22
now size 4

brinklaw
on 10/7/09 8:39 pm - Pahoa, HI
 I had laparoscopic RNY on October 27, 2008, and I couldn't be happier with the results. I'm 5 ft tall and weight 254 lbs at my first visit to my surgeon. This morning I weigh 140 lbs, so am 114 lbs. down. My size 8 pants are too big now - I was wearing 2x or size 22 this time last year. I still have kind of a large chest, so wear a medium or large petite t-shirt.

The biggest change, though, is my activity level. We just moved to Hawaii - last time I was here 3 years ago, I couldn't handle the humidity, but now I hardly notice it. Love to swim, snorkel, take long walks, do yoga, and use my hula hoop. I'm 57, but I feel better than when I was 35.

I do have some saggy skin on my legs and upper arms, so I don't feel comfortable wearing shorts or sleeveless shirts yet. I seem to be tightening up some, so will keep trying the exercise route for a while before exploring plastic surgery. I've had such a thick waist for years (50 inches at my heaviest) and I never thought I would be able to shrink it much, but I'm down to 33 inches after starting to use the hula hoop.

Foodwise, I can tolerate almost everything except concentrated sugar and alcohol, but it's still hard to digest meat thoroughly and carrots seem to sit in my pouch for hours no matter how I well I chew them. I'm still experimenting with meal patterns - I can't seem to force myself to eat more than 3 times a day, which leaves me feeling overfull some evenings if I eat too big a meal or eat too late. My husband likes large dinners and I would rather just eat a salad, so we're still working that out.

One recent problem is that if I don't eat much at dinner, I sometimes wake up at 2AM feeling shaky. I've tested my blood sugar at those times and it's always under 60, so I drink some juice or eat a PB&J and feel better, but I really, really hate that shaky feeling. Anyone else having the problem?

I've lost fairly slowiy at times, and have had several plateaus, so have tried very hard to keep up the exercise. Since moving to Hawaii 6 weeks ago, though, I've had some sort of Gi upset (diarrhea, lack of appetite), and haven't felt much like exercising, so am making a concerted effort to change that. I've lost 15 lbs since moving here, which seemed unhealthy to me, but I've been to the doctor a couple of times and all of my labs are normal, so I'm guardedly happy now with the weight loss.

I'm below my surgeon's goal for me of 150 lbs. I'm pretty happy at 140, but think that I'll keep working to lose 15 more lbs. That will bring me into the "normal weight" category BMI-wise. One table said that I should weigh 112, but I haven't weighed that little since 5th grade!

One thing that I was worried about was feeling "too skinny." Twenty years ago, I lost quite a bit of weight through diet and exercise, and ended up weighing maybe 5 lbs less than what I weigh now. I vividly remember looking at myself then and thinking "I'm too small - I don't take up any space!" and without thinking about it more than that, proceeded to gain all that weight back and more. I think it had to do with poor self esteem and lack of confidence. I was in the Army then, and I guess I felt like I would have no authority if I was too small. Crazy. Now that I've had therapy, hopefully I'm in a better place this time.

Sorry for the long post,

Marcy B

Marcy B

Most Active
Recent Topics
Old habits die hard
vb2305 · 1 replies · 1291 views
Off Track
barigal1 · 0 replies · 1252 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 912 views