Has this ever happen to anyone

joenetta24
on 10/28/09 7:59 am - blue island, IL
RNY on 11/24/09 with
Unfortunately, my surgery was aborted. While i went through all the trauma of getting put to sleep, only to find out that my surgery was canceled. My surgeon said that my heart rate would go sky high then as low as in the 30's. So he cancelled my surgery. I was relieved in a since, but upset. I finally put the effort, in getting the surgery and it is cancelled.
I starting to wonder was this a sign not to get the surgery!
JaeOnasi
on 10/29/09 7:51 am - Kenosha, WI
I have heard of that happening--if your heart was doing wild things under anesthesia, the last thing they'd want happening is to have it actually stop in the middle of the surgery, or have other very serious complications happen.  That's surely not the way to solve a weight problem! :)  I think your doctor was very wise to stop the procedure when he did.  It shows he was concerned more about your safety than anything else.

Personally, I think it's a sign to find out what's going on with your heart or if it was an anesthetic allergy, rather than a sign not to get the surgery.  As hard as it sounds and as disappointing as it is, finding out you have this problem with a scheduled surgery is so much better than finding out about it during a (God forbid) emergency surgery.  Once they figure out why your heart had this reaction, I think it will be a lot better for you.  If it's a heart condition, now you know what you're dealing with and can get that addressed so that your heart is working its best for the surgery.  If it's an anesthetic allergy, they can simply use another agent next time to put you to sleep.  If it's some other probelm besides those, they can deal with that, too.  I'm betting once that's solved, this will just be a speed bump on the weight loss highway. 
I'm proud to be a Geeky Mom, and read about it here (clicky)!

Patsy_H_LBC
on 10/29/09 9:04 pm - Long Beach, CA
I know how you feel the same thing happened to me . Except they didn't do mine because my liver looked diseased. and i had a large hernia so they fixed hernia and took a piece of liver foe biopsy. I cried for several hours. but i am waiting for results and if it is not serious i will see what i can do to fix it and try again to have RNY . So don't give up. I'm not

Patsy

Most Active
Recent Topics