Good to be Home

Pawsie
on 10/30/09 5:33 am - Anchorage, AK
Surgery was on Monday, 10/26 early in the AM.   All were in good humor except the anesthesiologist (he was grumpy).   Woke up in my room and off of pain meds by Tuesday afternoon in the Hospital.   They kept me until Thursday AM and had me on puree foods in the hospital (cream of wheat, pureed pear; mashed potatoes & gravy, ect . . )  

SOOOO glad I bought the two sippy cups; keeps air out & gas to a minimum & easy to measure how much liquid I am getting.   My PT pre-surgery has made it easier in the recovery process that's for sure.   I have had pain meds 3 times now that I am home because I think I am doing too much and have to slow down.   Have my hubby home til Monday, should take advantage of it, eh!? 

Other side note of advice:  Mental attitude is definitely plays a huge role in recovery.   There were so many stresses tugging at me the week before surgery (as I have read so many of my OH friends have had also)  - - - - I put everything on the back burner, turned off the energy source to it and refuse to let it get in my way of recovery.  

Just thinking of my OH Friends & wanted to let you know I was home & well on the way to recovery.  

joenetta24
on 10/31/09 12:45 am - blue island, IL
RNY on 11/24/09 with
Congratulation on a new life!!!!! I hope you have a safe and speedy recovery!
Alejandra E.
on 10/31/09 7:53 am - Worcester, MA
Hi,
My surgery was also on the same day! :)
I got home on thursday as well. I have no pain, except when I get gas... OUCH! I will try your sippy cups idea! Just told my husband to go buy me one.
Good luck and I hope you continue to do well on this journey.

JaeOnasi
on 11/2/09 1:58 am - Kenosha, WI
I hadn't heard of the sippy cup idea, though I might give it a try.  I'm doing pretty good in the gas department as long as I remember to take small sips.  Sometimes I just take too big of a gulp, though, and man, can it get sore to burp!  One of the PAs I saw in the hospital suggested getting some baby spoons to eat with to get used to the bite sizes I should be taking, especially for more solid foods.  They fit better into the baby food jars, anyway.
I'm proud to be a Geeky Mom, and read about it here (clicky)!

Pawsie
on 11/2/09 2:14 am - Anchorage, AK
I am so glad they suggested the baby spoons/forks.   I bought a set and they have been great & I think the main reason why I haven't gotten the uncomfortable blouted full feeling becasue I pause between bits as well as taking the small bits.  

Baby food????   Oh, no girl!!!   I bought myself a Magic Bullet and I puree what my family is eating (as long as it is meeting my protien / carb guidelines).   Makes my protien shakes so well I swear it is creamy milk shake!!   Got some good reciepes if you need some.  

How many Protien / Carb / Calories did your Doc or NUT recommend for you post surgery?  

T T F N

JaeOnasi
on 11/2/09 12:35 pm, edited 11/2/09 12:37 pm - Kenosha, WI
The NUT and doc both recommended 60-80gm protein/day, mostly from the protein shakes (minimum 20gm protein each, 200 calories max, carbs less than 10 per drink, and have 3 of those per day) and then 6oz meals 3x/day of pureed meets, unsweetened fruits, veggies, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, etc. Basically protein comes first, keep it low fat and unsweetened, and they haven't worried too much about the carbs, fat, or calories as long as the food is kept within the list of guidelines they gave me.

Oh, I've definitely been using my cuisinart--pureed up some turkey with some broth and a bit of homemade broth gravy the other day, Kraft mac-and-cheese is not too bad pureed, and ravioli (the good ones, not the ones out of a can) is really good pureed.  I even made homemade turkey potpie for the family and pureed some for myself, and it was quite good!  However, bananas in the cuisinart are so gross, while the baby food bananas taste great.  I puree my own meats, but eat baby food fruits.  

I'm happy for any prot shake recipes, too!  Now that I have a blender that will handle ice, I'm going to give a chocolate peanut butter shake a try tomorrow, or maybe chocolate-banana-peanut butter. I tried banana powder in orange juice last night with a sprinkle of coconut extract in it, and it tasted great, but the OJ acid, which normally doesn't bother me, did not agree with my stomach at all.

I'm proud to be a Geeky Mom, and read about it here (clicky)!

Most Active
Recent Topics