Almost 4 yrs post-op...need help

Diane Gracely
on 8/7/07 5:52 am - Ocala, FL
I am almost 4 years post op. I have gained about 20 lbs that I did not want to gain back. I am getting some of my old habits back and don't know what to do????? I drink diet soda and I know we are not supposed too. Is that something that is making me want to eat more? I am also eating sweets and I know I should not be. Please give me some advice on what to do???? I did this surgery and do not even want to go back to my old habits. BUT I seem to be hungary all the time and I crave sweets. PLEASE advise me on what to do? What can I eat instead of sweets when I have those cravings? Can I have diet soda or is that making things worse for me as far as my hungar? Thanks in advance. Diane
aquilegia
on 8/8/07 12:00 pm - montreal, Canada
Hi there Diane.I had my surgery R.N.Y Nov 11 2003. I also crave sweets and do not dump. I only dump if I eat sweets in combo with high fat. I have learned recently ,that Diet drinks like coke and Pepsi with aspertame, make you crave sweets. It seems that a lot of us post ops take to eating candies.It is rather strange because I rarely ate candies when I was morbidly obese.I have also heard that the bubbles in soft drinks make you feel that your tummy is empty when it is not .A little trick that works for me ,is satisfying my cravings for sugar ,with bananas. They also fill me up quickly. Another trick I use, is always having a cooked chicken and hard boiled eggs available in my fridge . When I want to snack, at least I can grab something that is filling and nutritious . I hope some of this helps. Tracey. Start weight 300 lbs .Now I am maintaining at 150 lbs- 155 lbs.
Robin W.
on 8/27/07 1:33 am - Franklin, OH
I'm right there with you. Old habits are coming back. I've been going to the grad board and getting a lot of suggestions there. I'm trying to to do small changes so that they will stick. CHANGE NUMBER 1 no eating after work. I get home around 10:45-11pm NO MORE SNACKING after work before bed. Good Luck, Robin
Kevin E.
on 10/22/07 7:19 am - Smyrna, GA
Hello, I am almost 4 yrs as well. About a year ago I gained about 20 pounds, and as you I became afraid. I began to start walking and Jogging more this summer and lost the entire 20 pounds. I went back to eating 6 small meals. I think everyone goes through that stage where you want to eat more. Now I still have not had a soda since surgery. My doctor said carbonation will stretch your pouch. STOP all the bad habits and start over today!! Each day is a new day!!
hicksville-ny
on 11/13/07 11:13 am - NY
Hello Diane I am 4 years and 2 days out, I started at 289 lbs and was soooooo happy at the 142 lb goal I had set for myself. However, today I am scared and weighing in at 165.5 lbs. I crave sweets all the time and have figured out a way to trick my body into not rejecting them (will not share a bad habit). I can tell you that if I can go 2 full days without any carbs or sugars I don't seem to crave the deadly duo, but that seems impossible to me these days. I am going to try south beach diet as I have a friend who swears by it! I will let you know how I do, perhaps that will work for us. I do agree with the other posters...Robin, yes eating at night is horrible, Tracey chicken and hard boiled eggs are a great quick snack and Kevin each day is a NEW day!! Thank you for your insight!!! Lucky :type:
Terry H.
on 11/29/07 6:50 am - DeSoto, TX
I'm thinking about having the lap-band surgery, but after hearing your problems, I don't know. I'm confused. I thought that with lap-band, when you have a FILL done, it tightens the stomach and you don't have the hunger pains any longer. Doesn't the surgery remove the hunger so that all you need is a smaller portions of food? Terry in DeSoto,TX
ollie1shoe
on 5/13/11 10:12 am, edited 5/13/11 10:14 am
hey everyone i am almost 8 years out from gastric bypass i have kinda feel back into bad habits i lost 128 lbs in 6 months but for the past 4 years i have gained back almost 40 pound of it back 
 i am so disgusted with my self  i go wanting something to eat a lot and nothing i eat seems to fulfill my need for foodi am stressed at home a lot of unhappy times have been around me  thats partially my problem can anyone tell me how they have relost the pounds  after they start gaining like i have  thanks  any help would be appreciated  
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 Years
Steve L. · 0 replies · 619 views
Would you do it again?
Jersey917 · 2 replies · 707 views