22 Months and...?

Sphinxy
on 9/3/06 8:56 am - Redlands, CA
How has your life changed since surgery??? We are now cruising up on the 2 yr anniversary and already most of us do not frequent this board much. Do you remember when you couldn't get through the day without checking on OH for news. updates, etc? Any regrets? I didn't realize how this surgery and its effects would systematically affect ALL areas of my life. My uterus has gone bananas - I can't keep up with the iron demands - and I wonder sometimes whether this was a wise decision given my other complications. However, on my good days, I realize I probably wouldn't be walking around now! Are you gaining yet? I'm still at the point where it suprises me when I get on the scale... and really still can't wrap my mind around the fact that I weigh less than I did when I graduated high school? Have you cross-addicted to something? someone? The power of an addiction to food can sometimes go unnoticed since we don't have to get a precription to get it - and people are expected to eat. I find that I have much more pain now... or perhaps I am just more aware?? and presently trying to transfer that addiction to cross-word puzzles. Hope this message finds you well and prospering.... Let us know how you are doing! B
AngelaS
on 9/6/06 6:44 am - Orange, TX
Hey, Here are my answers to your questions: 1. My life has changed dramatically. It has allowed me to do things that I would never have tried before. For example, last October, I got to ride in the Nascar Nextel Cup #29 Car for a ride along. Before I had the surgery, I would never had the courage to stuff my obese body into a car of that magnitude. Now I enjoy life instead of moping around the house feeling sorry for myself. 2. No regrets at all. I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to do the work it takes to achieve your goal. 3. I have gained a couple of pounds, but usually the weight gain is caused when I drink sodas instead of my flavored waters. When I don't drink sodas for about a week, the weight comes back off, which I can handle. 4. Well, my biggest addiction at this point in my weight loss has being able to get on the floor and wrestle with my nephew who is 4 years old. Also, when I get bored (usually when I would eat the most), I try to find a good book or puzzle book and lay on the couch on our patio to overcome the boredome. If that doesn't work, then I will do some form of exercise. I am doing great. I have a setback every now and then, but I would not change a thing about my WLS experience. Let's all try to keep in touch. Your buddy, Angela S. 305/143
Sphinxy
on 9/11/06 5:40 pm - Redlands, CA
Wow... sounds like things are very exciting for you! NASCAR?! wonderful to hear from you ... keep up the great work! B
SugarfreeSweetThang
on 9/8/06 12:59 pm - McDonough, GA
I have NO regrets. I have not lost everything I wanted to lose. But I have a great reason!!!!! I'm PREGNANT! That is all I ever wanted and one of the main reasons why I had this surgery. I am 7 months now and my baby is due in November! I have only gained 14 pounds during this pregnancy and it is all baby. Everyone says I look like I have lost weight everywhere else. I'm not too upset with that. I feel great. I am healthy and the baby is healthy. I plan to continue to lose weight after I have the baby. 2 more months! I'm going to be a healthy mama and I'm so happy I had the surgery. Hope you are all doing well!! Jennifer Wright
Sphinxy
on 9/11/06 5:43 pm - Redlands, CA
Congratulations! That's wonderful news! Keep in mind that nutrition is even more important for you... your body has to get all the building blocks it can for the little one... not the time to worry about calories... keep up those vitamins... they are critical for the both of you...and don't forget the calcium... women don't often realize the results of a calcium deficiency until they enter menopause... Best of Luck! B
mcgreen
on 9/13/06 1:37 am - Honey Brook, PA
Hey there! Gosh, I haven't checked in here in such a long time. I'm sorry to hear that you're having some pain and difficulties. Every day I'm so very glad that I had this surgery! I've lost 106lbs and am at goal. I pretty much fluxuate back and forth 3lbs or so. It hasn't been so hard to maintain. I do get on the scale way to much though. In the beginning I used to exercise 6-7 days a week. Now I don't work out at all - I know, I know I should. Actually that leads to one question that you asked - how has life changed since the surgery? Well, I'm signing up for a line dancing class on Monday nights with my 3 best girlfriends. First of all, I would never have taken a dance class - I would never want anyone to see my grotesque fat flapping around, and before surgery I really was a loner. I joined a local support group after surgery and met the 3 nicest and warmest people! Over the past 2 years we have grown to be best friends. I can't imagine my life without them and they understand just how I feel when it comes to this surgery. Even if the surgery hadn't been a success it would have been worth it to have met these ladies! I can't say I have picked up any new addictions. I still love jelly beans but stay as far away from them as I can. Do you guys still dump as easily as you did right after surgery? I can get away with sugar now but try to keep my distance from it. Overall, life is great! Deb
MizCathy
on 9/19/06 2:12 am - Tallahassee, FL
Hey, Here are my answers to your questions.... Well, my life has changed dramatically in that I can do more things that I used to. I am always on the go with my children, and doing different things. I am feeling more attractive than I have ever felt in my life. It also doesn't hurt to have a man in my life that really appreciates and encouages me. I would do this surgery over in a minute, it is the best thing that I have ever done for myself!! I have picked up about 4 pounds, but my doctor has linked that with the fact that I had some depression issues and she put me on Zoloft. At first when I was taking it, I was losing weight, and I had gotten down to 175, then I picked up about 5 pounds... So I have decided to only take it when I feel that I really need it. I have noticed that I don't have an addiction to certain foods or sweets, because I remember how bad I felt after having some chocolate, and the serious stomach pains, so that usually stops me. So, thanks for checking up on us, let us know how you are.. Cathy
scmemory
on 9/19/06 2:15 am - Hartsville, SC
Hi, everyone! Isn't it a shame that we only seem to use these boards a lot when we have a complaint or problem? And from what I am seeing, most of us at nearly 2 years out are having the same types of issues! My personal life has been very hectic, I managed within a year of the surgery to lose down to near my goal weight. I was weighing in at 135. Then, typical story, divorce, met someone else, now engaged, and very happy. Then a coworker mentioned that I must be happy, as I have put on a little weight. I have?! I HAVE!! OH, NO! anyway, after getting on the scale about 2 weeks ago at 154, I now am back down to 146, and 11 more to go to get back to where I was. The culprit, of course, was snacking. I can not tolerate a lot of sugar, but I can tolerate some carbs, and I was grazing a lot. I now snack on beef jerky if I can not hold out until the next meal, and everyone, DRINK WATER! I am horrible about that, but I have found in the last couple of weeks that drinking water really does help you with hunger, even some "head hunger". I like the AquaCal navel orange flavored water the best, the lemon-lime is not bad either. My boyfriend has decided I am too good of a cook, and he has gained 20 pounds in the last few months, so he will be doing the Atkins diet to take it off. That will sure help me watch my carbs! Keep in touch, everyone! and if you want, email me at [email protected]. Good luck and best wishes to you all!
AngelRitt
on 9/21/06 6:49 am - Islip Terrace, NY
Hi B, Any regrets? Not a one! Best decision I've ever made. What's new since surgery. Well the hospital where I had my surgery held a lecture on Bariatric Surgery on Monday 9/18 and I was asked to tell my story. It got very emotional for me, but I think it went well. I got a lot of applause. I'm hoping my story gave hope to at least one person looking to have the surgery. I feel honored that even asked me to speak at this function. There are so many other people that they could have asked. Life is good and I truly feel blessed. ~God Bless ~Angel 255/222/126 at Goal! Highest/day of surg/ now
Most Active
Recent Topics
Helloooooooooo out there!
Sphinxy · 1 replies · 798 views
where is everyone?
Moma V. · 4 replies · 1013 views
New Year coming....back on track!
Patti N · 1 replies · 848 views
Help
Jan M. · 7 replies · 1157 views
Iron deficieny
Dru B. · 4 replies · 966 views