Iron deficieny

Dru B.
on 7/6/08 4:55 am - Deltona, FL
Hi all! Just wondering if anyone else is iron deficient this far out? I hadn't had any problems until recent, and I have always been compliant with taking the correct amount of iron and multi-vitamin. My regular doctor is addressing the situation with further testing because she feels there is no way this is a result of the surgery. At 4 1/2 years post op and my compliance with taking iron she suspects something else. I will call my surgeon Monday. Hope all is well with everyone else. Thanks, Dru
Butterfly Reborn
on 7/7/08 9:23 am
What do you do for B12? You could have Pernicious Anemia which is low iron from low B12. Average ranges for B12 are NOT good enough for us. Most surgeons are of the opinion that you should be at 1000 or higher. I was "average" at 424 and SEVERELY ANEMIC. I went on an agressive B12 injection treatment plan (on my profile) and started taking TENDER IRON from VITALADY after other irons failed to raise my levels. I still have never had my B12 go over 904 (after a year)! However, TENDER IRON was gentle on my stomach (I've had numerous complications/digestive/obstruction issues) and raised my ferritin so fast the doctor and nurse said, "WOW! What are you taking?" They wrote it down and were looking in to it. You can purchase TENDER IRON at www.VITALADY.com I hope this helps!
Belton_Brenda
on 8/2/08 4:17 pm - Belton, TX
I have very low iron, B12 and calcium. So I am regrouping and trying new vitamins. Good luck
luckyallure
on 10/7/08 9:01 am - NC
I had iron deficiency from the beginning.  I was scheduled to see a hematologist who discovered it was too low and he put me on a 4 hour IV with Iron one time per week.  It wasn't painful.

I think the most painful part was having to sit in the room filled with cancer patients, I got to learn their story's and about their families.  I never asked how long they had, but some looked really sick.

I was grateful that mine was just iron problems and weight problems, even though in the very beginning they found a growth and an ulcer in my stomach that could have lead to cancer.

Weight loss didn't seem so important during those times, I was just glad to be alive.  I met some beautiful people, and I believe it helped change my attitude about what life was all about at the time.

I suffer from depression from time to time, but then I think about certain friends I made and I try my best to think about how lucky I am to be alive.  Size 6 isn't so bad, even though I LOVED being a size 0.  Nothing felt better than walking into Old Navy and putting on a size 0 jeans. 

I still have them and hope to be in them some day soon.  I know the holidays will be difficult, but I am going to try my best.

Calling your surgeon is a great idea, but I also suggest a hematologist to check all your blood.

I also had potassium and B-12 dificiencies.  I had shots for the B-12's, and the most paintful potassium IV you could ever had.  I even released the doctor and the hospital from any liabilites from removing the IV's.  I was in the hospital over the holidays.  I walked on on that

Potassium IV feels like FIRE going through your veins.  I recommend potassium shots and supplements if needed.  I don't wish the Potassium IV's on anyone.
goodgmissm
on 2/11/09 2:49 am - Vinton, IA
 I am currently experiencing a severe iron deficiency... my ferritin level is currently at 14, down from 168 two months ago.  I am on my second round of IV venofer and it does not seem to be staying with me.  I am told by the hematologist that my body does not seem to be absorbing iron from ANY source other than the IV... not from food, not from supplements.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Helloooooooooo out there!
Sphinxy · 1 replies · 797 views
where is everyone?
Moma V. · 4 replies · 1013 views
New Year coming....back on track!
Patti N · 1 replies · 848 views
Help
Jan M. · 7 replies · 1155 views
Iron deficieny
Dru B. · 4 replies · 965 views