My 2 yr surgerversery reflections (repost from main board)

puppymutts
on 11/1/07 1:09 am - My Own Private World
2 years ago today I had my weight loss surgery. I have lost somewhere in the window of 185 lbs, still losing slowly, but I don't get on the scale much anymore (like once a month). I just did a weigh in, it was 226.6 lbs. I have gone from a size 30W-32W in clothing to a size 16-18 average. I did not take measurements, but know how sizes have changed, and that is what I chose to judge by (plus the tape measure didn't fit preop). Tops - 28/30 to 12/14 Pants - cotton stretch 26W/28W - 12/14; cotton non stretch 30W/32W- 16/18; jeans could not fit, now 16. Skirts - 3X now 14/16 Bra- 48DD now 36D Panties - 13 now 7/8 Shoes - 12WW now 11 Ring - well varies by finger, but ring finger 13 ½ down to a 9. Height- 5'5 ½" down to 5'5 ¼ "(yes, I shrunk) Now, do I have any regrets on this surgery? YES. Why? Well, there are a lot of post op complications that I am experiencing, many of which the Dr's can't diagnosis. The first complication is the famous strictures. I was told that they are NOT a direct result of the weight loss surgery, but I NEVER HAD THEM PRIOR. Ok, so every 4-6 months it's back to the hospital for dilation. I'm suffering right now, but don't have time to go get it blown out. Then there was the dizziness, which started April 06 (ironically after eating a peep), never got a diagnosis. Now, I have blackout spells, which fortunately I have a dog who can alert me to them. I call them non epileptic seizures. I was tested for epileptic seizures, but the test came back negative. I am scheduled for an EKG next, to see if it is heart related or not. If not, they will diagnosis it as Pseudo Seizures. I guess along with the pseudo tumors I might just become an interesting case for some shrink. Oh, yeah, and I got a major case of depression. Mostly from all the complications I am experiencing. I am happy with the weight loss, and I know I could not have done it without the surgery. But I wish I had a crystal ball to know that there would be many additional obstacles to conquer after having the surgery to get "healthy". I've reached the Dr's goal as far as what was expected for weight loss. My personal goal was 225 lbs, and I had adjusted it to 175 lbs, but I'm guessing I won't get to that too soon. But, having been 412 lbs day of surgery, I shouldn't be too upset or disappointed. I'm not perfect. I have carbs in my diet. Maybe if I cut them out completely, I would lose more, maybe not. Well, to all who have yet to do this, hey, go for it. Most of the problems people face after, are rare or unique to that person. There are some here who have it worse than me, I know that. I am not looking for a pity party. I'm just reflecting on my last 2 years. Well, I have to get ready for school. Bright Blessings Mindi
sallyj
on 11/2/07 3:52 am - Spokane, WA
Dear Mindi, Congratulations on your success and here's hoping you'll find some relief from the complications. I'm sorry to read that they haven't been able to identify just what is going on. There aren't many really good doctors where I live, so I am always a bit concerned that if an issue is "standard textbook" I won't get the best information. I think it is great that you seem pretty realistic about your situation--there are so many of us with body issues that it is always good to have a dash of realistic expectations. I'll be posting my two year aniversary reflections as well later this month, so you've given me some things to consider. Good luck, Sally
Nena1020
on 1/20/08 11:26 am
I am curious as to what the last result of test they told you as to your blackouts, I am 2 1/2 years post op, I weighted day of surgery 356 and my lowest weight was 196, and at this point I am 226, I did not have any complications thank god, but about 1 year ago I started passing out, or blacking out, and I went to every type of doctor under the sun, and they said it was vasal vagal, and they are not sure why a person gets it and what makes it go away, I have since been taking medication which has alot of salt which makes me retain water, and they believe that is the reason for my weight gain, but I am not so sure, I just went back to the doctor and he now has spoken with various different gastric bypass patients with this similar problem, they believe it has to do with some kind of deficiency that is not detected in the blood work, I also now have a low heart rate it runs in the 45 -52 range, which is low, and my blood pressure now is also alwyas low. If you could let me know if you have gotten any other answers from doctors that would be great, also if there is anyone else out there that has begin to gain weight and can let me know what type of diet they are sticking to to keep from gaining weight and lose this weight that I have gained I would be so Greatful. Thanks Tara
Most Active
Recent Topics
2012 update
H. MC · 0 replies · 784 views
Anybody still here?
MoabMama · 4 replies · 983 views
Four Years and counting
shoop727 · 2 replies · 872 views
Im still here!!
lunawillow · 7 replies · 1004 views