Just Had my Initial 2 Year Check-up

donnainhouston
on 12/2/08 2:05 am - League City, TX

Okay... first, I can't believe how totally anxious I was about going. I mean seriously, my heart was in my chest.

I weighed in at exactly the same weight I did last February. Uh, that's 10 months, a triathlon, the MS150 and Livestrong Challenge, ago.

We talked. He validated my frustration, for what that's worth (that's a lot to me right now). He knows I'm frustrated -- and to that end, I think he is too. We both want to get to the bottom of things; he wants me to achieve my more than reasonable goals.

He sent me for a ****load of bloodwork. Even the Phlubotomist blinked twice at the 3 pages of reqs. He said it would probably take up to 2 weeks to get anything back, but he said we should know something by Christmas but here's what we're looking at:

1) Thyroid Issues (never dectected before in the past, but possibly asymptomatic)

2) Insuilin Resistance - A state in which your cells are not responding to insulin appropriately, so the sugar in your blood cannot get into your cells. To compensate, your pancreas pumps out more insulin to try to get the sugar out of your blood and into your cells. The hyperinsulinimia (high blood insulin) that results is able to maintain normal blood sugar levels and delay the onset of diabetes. 

3) Testosterone Levels

4) A Fistula - more common in post-ops who smoke or are prone to ulcers, but a possibility still.  But, essentially it could be that a suture line opened up and created a path to my old stomach.  Often it can go undetected and is found because weight loss pre-maturely ceased, or significant weight-gain has occurred.  I soooo hope it's not this. :( 

At least we have a plan.

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

Most Active
Recent Topics
I'm late but I'm here
HEATHER B. · 0 replies · 590 views
WOW
katydidit64 · 0 replies · 699 views
Hi remember me
Britt · 2 replies · 745 views
Hi All
corinnaq · 1 replies · 811 views