How's everyone doing? What is everyone eating?

nu-mi
on 12/10/09 12:17 am - Gilroy, CA
Since it's officially December we've all had surgery and are at some level of Post-Op, just wondering how everyone is doing and what stage of food everyone is at and how it's going??

I had surgery Nov 3rd, so I'm over 5 weeks out.  I'm pretty much eating normal, very SMALL amounts of normal but normal.  I still don't eat lettuce and breads and rice and those things but like yesterday I had a half a piece of turkey wrapped around a 1/2 oz piece of cheese with two small whole wheat crackers for lunch and for dinner I had about 2oz of chicken parm (don't fry it, I bake it) I made for my family and about 2 TBSP of Zucchini and Mushrooms and 4 brown rice crisps for dinner.

My Surgeon was very different then lots of other Surgeons I was eating cottage cheese along with my full liquid diet for 10 days after only 2 days on a clear liquid diet, then I was able to eat eggs on day 10 then progressed to soft foods after I tolerated that for a couple days then was on the Stage 3 diet.  She told me to slowly try things that was the only way I was going to learn what I can and cannot tolerate.  So far there hasn't been anything that's given me problems, which I'm thankful for, I like the idea of having things I enjoy, just very small portions, the way it should be!

Looking forward to see how everyone else is doing!

Amanda
                                   1st Goal Reached May 22nd, 2010      
So ready to continue this journey, so ready to reap all the rewards!    
mindylou22
on 12/10/09 8:53 pm - san antonio, TX
 My surgery was Nov 17th so I'm a little more than three weeks out.  In addition to my shakes & liquids I had a qtr slice of roast beef with mustard & had about 5 bites of tuna. Yum-o flavor!  A little better than the bean & cheese past I made myself yesterday. 

MichelleInNY
on 12/10/09 9:46 pm
I'm doing alright... still on a pureed/soft foods diet... tuna w/ mayo, beans, etc. are all going down fine.

The scale however is frustrating me a great deal... I'm 3 1/2 weeks out and the scale hasn't moved in two weeks.  I lost 16 lbs the first week and a half and then everything stopped.  I know stalls are normal, but geeze louise, it is disheartening :( 

Anyone else dealing with this?
abbies_mom
on 12/17/09 3:19 am - Saskatoon, Canada

YES, I am online looking for support because I am so disheartened.  My sleeve gastrectomy was Nov 20 (almost 4 weeks ago) and I lost about 14 lbs then NOTHING lost for the past two weeks.  I founds someone else who said stalls are normal and had a big stall during weeks 2-7.  I am very good at counting calories and I know I am not eating more than 800 per day. 

Also, I still feel quite hungry.  Not sure where the Grehlin is coming from but I still have it.

Kim O.
on 12/18/09 12:24 am, edited 12/18/09 12:25 am - Winchester, KY
I feel you sister!  I had my surgery on 11/18 and lost 24 lbs the first 2 weeks.  These past 2 weeks I have only lost .5 lbs.  My doctor said it was completely normal and that it will pick up again but at one month out today, it isn't moving.  It is making me very scared that I am not doing something right.

I am able to eat pretty good.  I have not gotten sick at all, other than 1 time when I drank too much water.  I am missing my diet soda but have not tried to cheat because I am too scared.  :)

I would love to know how many people stall in their weight loss and when it is supposed to pick up.  My doctor said I wasn't drinking enough water (only getting down about 40 to 50 oz. because of sipping) and he told me to just drink, I didn't have to sip anymore.  He was right.  The last few days I am getting all my fluid in and then some. But still no weight loss.  My only saving grace (in my mind at least) is that I am getting ready to start my period so I hope I am retaining water... About 10 lbs worth! 

:)
ogradysc
on 12/10/09 11:40 pm - Shawnee, KS
I'm doing pretty good.  I'm  a November 3rd gal also.  I've lost 27 lbs.   I'm struggling most with head hunger and have been really desiring comfort food.  I got some great suggestions on the board yesterday for some new ideas of what to eat.  I've been on soft proteins since 7 days after surgery.  I made some protein/fiber bars from a recipe I saw on here yesterday.  I'm eating one right now actually!  LOL  I made some chicken noodle soup last night.  It was beyond delicious but it didn't go down well and made me think I was going to throw up.  It went away quickly though.  I have had several bouts of eating too fast or too much and having to throw it back up.  I feel instantly better when that happens. Such a learning curve!   I had some complications after surgery so I've only recently gotten my energy and strength back.  I've started doing the bike, walking and the wii fit.   I was hoping to be down a little more in the beginning since I know it slows later on, however, I can't really complain about losing the 27!  

Candice
Candice - Lap RNY 11-03-09

nu-mi
on 12/11/09 12:27 am - Gilroy, CA
 indylou- lol, the first time I had a half slice of turkey with mustard! Yum, tasted so dang good! I love mustard, glad to hear you are doing well!

Michelle- I know it doesn't help but, I've so been there too, first 2 weeks, I lost 17 lbs, then for two weeks, seriously, I'd lose an oz, then up 3oz, then down 5oz. It was so very frustrating, these last two weeks I've started going down again. What I've decided for myself is that I cannot weigh myself everyday it's too torturing. I mean I did this surgery, the end result is losing weight if I follow what I'm suppose to do, right? So I try to only weigh myself every 4 days or so (if I can hold out) and it seems to be a little less frustrating! So I'm 5 ½ weeks out and have lost 59 lbs total, 30 from pre-op and 29 post-op. It's starting to move off! :) It will for all of us!

Candice- Sounds like you are making some yummy stuff, sorry to hear about you throwing up though :/ I try and stop eating the instant I feel full, I notice that if I sorta sit back and chew and swallow between bites and give my pouch time to feel the food I just swallowed I eat much less but if I don't pay attention to my chews sometimes I get that “ugh, I ate too much, let me sit down for a minute" feeling. Like you said, total learning curve!

Amanda

1st Goal Reached May 22nd, 2010      
So ready to continue this journey, so ready to reap all the rewards!    
meldave00
on 12/14/09 10:35 pm - Rosemount, MN
I'm still at the pureed stage, but will be moving over to soft (normal) foods on Thursday, when I'm 4 weeks post-op.  I had a huge weight loss stall (didn't lose anything for 2 weeks after losing the 1st week) but have slowly started to lose again.  I'm not down a whole lot since surgery, just 13 lbs, but I also lost 21 lbs. before surgery, so I'm down a total of almost 34 lbs.  I thought I would've lost more by now, but I have a feeling I'm gonna be a slow loser, which is what I was pre-surgery too.  It can be super frustrating, but I have to take what I'm given & just continue to use my tool.  Foods are going down good (eating things like tuna with fat free mircle whip, FF refried beans with WW shredded cheese, egg beaters, etc).

One bad thing is I'm having some pain around my belly button which continues to get worse.  My incision in my belly button has healed, but the skin inside the belly button around the incision is all red & I'm getting stabbing pains about 3-4 inches outside of my belly button along with my skin in that area hurting to the touch.  I have a call into my surgeon that I'm waiting to hear back on & I have a back-up appt. with my primary doc for later this morning since I have to get this worked out.  I ended up not getting any sleep last night (maybe 3-4 hours or so) since everytime I move I get this horrible stabbing pain.  I look forward to getting in today to have someone take a look at things to see if we can get something figured out.

I look forward to feeling pain-free soon so I can be more active & hopefully help get my weight loss going & help get myself feeling better as well.

It's good to hear everyone is doing pretty good post-op! 
                                                    ~Melissa~  

joan2000
on 12/16/09 5:34 am - Wyoming, MI
I find the same - small amounts but darn near anything goes down. I have had trouble with bread - even small amounts don't go at all. I had pizza the other night though, and that went good - took me about 45 minutes to get a slice down, but the dietician said it was ok. Today I am eating cheese cubes, I had lobster bisque soup at lunch from Zoup, and otherwise I still eat a lot of product. Just the ones I like of course! Will have chicken tonight left over from my birthday on Sunday, and maybe a little potato. I often eat just one thing at a meal, which is weird. I had trouble right after surgery with fresh veggies, but saw the dietician this week and she said try try again - anyone else having trouble? I also got the ok for fruit - I thought that was off the list for a while due to sugar content, so am thrilled. Can indulge in something fresh and fiberous tonight. All good!
justasweety
on 12/18/09 9:57 am - TN
First of all, let me say, THANK YOU for this surgery!!  This is the best decision I have ever made.  I have gone from 3-4 shots of insulin a day to taking NONE!!  I feel like a new woman.  I can play and crawl in the floor with my kids for more than just a few minutes.  I am ready for a salad though..lol..Who would have ever thought...I am having some baked chicken breast with a little fat free sour cream for moisture and protein.  I do miss the other food sometimes but I stop and think about how I felt before and how I feel now.  Haven't had any issues with most foods, nothing really makes me sick.  I take that back..lol...I was running errands, no food, no protein and I thought oh, I'll just get a protein drink from the convenience store.  I picked up a muscle milk.  Did NOT check sugars and stuff...WOW I learned my lesson, first experience with dumping..lol. I'm still eating no more than 4 ounces at a time and I ADDICTED to fat free cottage cheese with italian diced tomatoes.  I hope everyone is having a good time and nice journey in this process.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Petersen's Hernia
meyers8473 · 1 replies · 1850 views
Where is everyone???
designera · 1 replies · 844 views
I year anniversary
allikat1993 · 0 replies · 866 views
one year mark month.
laurie R. · 14 replies · 1234 views