Able to eat more in volumn and sometimes the wrong type and scared

bridgettekearns
on 4/30/04 10:33 pm - Patterson, NY
Hello, my name is Bridgette, I had RNY on 12/17/2002. I have gone from 304 pounds down to 147 pounds or size 28 to 10 in the past 17 mos. The first 13 months post-op after leaving the hospital have gone very smoothly, exercise 4 times a week, 80 or more ounces water every day, 40 to 60 grams protein most days, no sugur,and no soda. At about 13 months, my weight started to stay at 145 to 150 pounds no matter what I did with my lifestyle. My goal was to be normal on the bmi chart, approx 135 pounds for my height of 5-3 and medium body frame. In reality I know I have done amazingly well, but in my mind I wanted to get to my goal. This seemed to be the begining of my frustration, at about 15 mos post-op I began experimenting, first with diet soda and found that I could tolerate it, now there is more soda then water. The next thing to try was small amounts of the sugur, which sometimes I can tolerate perfectly well in increasingly high amounts. I definitly can eat more in terms of volume in all types of food, especially at night. I have been consistent with exercise and protein. My weight has stayed fairly consistent between 145 to 150 pounds. I am really afraid that many bad habits are begining to sneek back in, such as emotional eating or eating because I am tired. I have attempted to put a stop to this by the use of a journal, meditating, trying yoga, seeing a therapist, using a perscribed med for anxiety(Lexapro), and purchasing a book for weightloss surgery patients called a mental health companion and begining to work through the exercises. I guess what I really need to know is am I the only person having to work so hard on this ? I forgot to mention I attend my surgeons monthly support group as well. Has anyone out there gone through a similar period of difficulty and if you did what has helped you the most?
Leanne S.
on 5/6/04 12:42 am - Jackson, GA
Hi Bridgette! My name is Leanne. Put your worries to bed, because you have at least one other person who is going through the same thing! My surgery was 12/6/02. I have lost 163 pounds. However, I am still about 20 pounds from my personal goal weight. I have fluctuated between 196 and 194 since December. I still get my protein in each day, but I rarely do protein supplements anymore. I have had arthritis to flare up, so its very difficult for me to exercise -- that's all the excuse that I need! I drink my water, but have added at least 2 cups of coffee to that -- thank goodness for Splenda! Most days I do pretty well in eating, but sometimes I have the munchies like you wouldn't believe! (I just finished a box of Nerds!) It's like I can't get enough. I read part of an article in the checkout line at the grocery store that if you crave carbs -- bread and sugar -- then you aren't getting enough calcium in your diet. I take 2 Tums in the morning and 2 at night for calcium supplement. Most of the time, that's enough. However the cravings still come 1 to 2 days a month. I don't think that I'm an emotional eater, but it could be. At meals, I still make sure that I get my protein in first, then eat what I can from the rest of the meal. I think its our body returning to normal. We are coming close to 18 months and our metabolism is beginning to even out. We should be able to eat more and tolerate different things. Just keep it all in balance. As long as you don't over do it, you should be OK. Of course, I don't have a medical degree, but that's the way I see it! Good luck!
Dee L.
on 5/8/04 8:46 am - Chula Vista, CA
Boy, I really identify with those worries. I have been terrible about my protein shake, but I try to get all the water down. I have lost a total of 191lbs. since my surgery 12/2002, however, I still have approximately 100 more to go and I have stalled in my weight loss. I keep losing and gaining the same 3-4 lbs. I am able to eat almost anything that I want and that concerns me. Even though I am not able to eat the same volumn of food, and I can't eat very much in the way of sweets, I am terrible with eating at night and my ability to control that is very weak. I need to get over this plateau I seem to be on and I don't know how to do it. I am exercising but I'm not getting very much result in the way of weight loss. I am thankful for how much better I feel and I do look better, but I want to get to my goal before the end of the year and I hope that's not unrealistic. I need a support group as I am not able to get to the one I'm close to due to work and time constraints. Going to this website has been a big help. You get the feeling sometimes that you're the only one experiencing these things and it's helpful to know you're not, Thanks, all of you!!
bridgettekearns
on 5/15/04 12:49 am - Patterson, NY
Dear Dee : Thank you so much for your response to my post, it is very good to know that I am not alone in my difficulty with this. I tried to post this on the main message board and boy did I get blasted by someone who was 2 weeks post op and did not understand my delima. I hope where we are is normal, but all we can do is keep working on it everyday. We have made alot of progress in getting to our goals. Good luck finding a support group in your area that is convient for you to attend. I am here if I can be of any help to you. Thanks Bridgette
bridgettekearns
on 5/15/04 12:55 am - Patterson, NY
Dear Leanne: Thank you as well for your response to my post. Congratulations on all of your sucess. I will try harder on making sure I am getting enough calcium, I had never heard that before. Thanks Bridgette
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hellooooooooo
jeris · 5 replies · 639 views
Looking for Answers
mariahstokes · 0 replies · 535 views
4 years out.......
dlr121702 · 0 replies · 503 views
December 11, 2002--Post Op--
suzette V. · 0 replies · 490 views
any one from puerto rico ??
cynthia M. · 0 replies · 484 views