I'm feeling a bit like a failure.

geepers
on 6/2/04 6:53 am - Good Hope, IL
16 months post op and I've lost 100 pounds, and I am SO HAPPY about that! I just know it should be more. I started at 304 lbs and now I'm 204 and I would like to loose 30-40 more, but I've fallen back into the old eating habits. I don't eat much, but all the time! Sweets don't seem to bother me and I guess I'm glad about that to a point. I do get a lot more exercise now that I'm carrying less weight. It's just that the surgery wasn't on my brain and it's functioning the same as it did BEFORE the surgery. I know what I need to do, I'm just a dud.
Uneeda P.
on 6/15/04 12:03 pm - Capitol Heights, MD
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! I feel the same way. I've been stuck between 215 and 220 pounds for six months. I started out at 354 pounds. My goal is 180, and I feel like I'll never get there. I am very frustrated. I have cravings all the time. I can eat anything! I'm always hungry. I need to decrease my carbs, increase my protein and exercise more. I know this, but I just need to do it. Trust me, you are not alone!
Pam R.
on 7/3/04 1:59 am - Gilbert, Az
Hi, I never have found my way into this site before now ...You wrote to me along time ago and I just wanted to say thanks. I know exactly how you feel. I had my surgery on 12/13/02... and did very well for 6 months. Then like a switch turned on and I felt like nothing ever happened and NOW>>> I am feeling the same as you. I feel like a failure. I was 340 and got down to 220 ...but, sugar, fat, nothing ever makes me dump or feel sick ... I am so scared I will fail. They told me I would be down to 145 in a year or so .... and I too know what to do but ... my head ....I don't know somehow I justify it. I am eating salmon, and vegtables ... but, when stress gets to me ...I go straight for the chocolate. not a lot ....but, then I feel so guilty ....OMG> the scale has not moved sence last JUNE...... I am so depressed. Pam
geepers
on 7/7/04 6:17 am - Good Hope, IL
Don't be depressed, Pam, you've lost over 100 pounds. You've done great, we just need to focus and start being more careful with what we eat. SEE, you've helped me put things into perspective. Let's work together on this, email me anytime!
Dee L.
on 7/17/04 3:29 am - Chula Vista, CA
OMG, am I glad I came and checked the boards today! I have the same problem! I was 489lbs at the time of my surgery, 12/02 and to date, I've lost almost 200lbs, however, I wanted to be down to at least 200 by Christmas, but I am able to eat more these days, not at one sitting, but I seem to want to eat constantly. I'm going to the gym 3-4 times a week but my scale has not moved in over 6mos and it is very disheartening. I can't go back to the life I had prior to my surgery, it was no life, however, my body was changed but I still have a fat person's mind and cravings!! In addition to adjusting to life in general, I'm menopausal, so I'm hot flashing and mood swinging like crazy!! HELP!!
geepers
on 7/19/04 2:21 am - Good Hope, IL
It's crazy isn't it, I just eat whenever and whatever. I know better, but I'm still the same old me. I'm praying this bypass part of the surgery saves me, but worry like crazy that I'm going to start gaining. Some days I'm as good as gold, fresh fruit and vegetables and no snacking, but it doesn't happen enough. I think I'm finally through menopause, but I know what you're talking about. Thanks for taking time to post to me.
Pam R.
on 8/2/04 9:21 pm - Gilbert, Az
Hi Dee..... thanks...... I guess there are alot of us feeling this way ...I just returned from 18 days of vacation and am afraid to look at the scale.. I am hoping it won't be too bad as I did get alot of walking and running around exercise and not to mention I got to sleep nights.... I work the night shift and lets face it ..... it dosn't help!!! I will write to you soon ......just got in the door from Maine..... Pam
Michelene T.
on 7/19/04 12:45 am - yorktown, va
I too am feeling the same way that you are. I am nineteen months out from my revision and feel like a failure. I am looking for a support group to help keep me positive and losing. I started at 348 pounds with a BMI of 62. To date I have lost 214 pounds but feel like I have put some back on. Seem to be able to eat anything and much more than I should be able to or would like to be able to. i just can't seem to keep on the straight and narrow. I am scared of failing and gaining the weight back. I have enjoyed being thin and being able to do so much more with myself. Am being treated for severe depression because I am having panic attacks which are keeping me inside. That makes inappropriate eating easier. To top it all off, I moved to the Newport News, Virginia area 2 1/2 weeks ago and have No friends to talk to or rely on. Could really use some words of support from the members of this message board. PLEASE???
geepers
on 7/19/04 2:30 am - Good Hope, IL
You have done GREAT! You can afford to put a little back on and not feel guilty. I'm sorry you're fighting depression, I've had to deal with that as well, but not so much. I'm glad you're getting help dealing with it and not trying to handle it alone. You've lost 214 pounds? Wow, that's an accomplishment. Write me anytime at [email protected] , I'd like to get to know you.
bridgettekearns
on 7/28/04 9:51 am - Patterson, NY
You are definitly not a failure, 100 pounds is a great deal of weight to take off your body. you should be very proud of yourself. I too find some of the old habits making their way back and I will admit it is very scary. I think we have to view everyday as a new day and keep trying to get back to the basic stuff we were doing when we were first post op, making sure there is enough protein , getting adequate fluids, maybe keeping some type of food log, exercise(which you are already doing), and be a little kinder to ourselves. A few bad days does not make a failure, unless we completly give up on doing everything. Good luck to you and don't use words like FAILURE and DUD to describe yourself. BRIDGETTE
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hellooooooooo
jeris · 5 replies · 639 views
Looking for Answers
mariahstokes · 0 replies · 535 views
4 years out.......
dlr121702 · 0 replies · 503 views
December 11, 2002--Post Op--
suzette V. · 0 replies · 490 views
any one from puerto rico ??
cynthia M. · 0 replies · 484 views