19 mos post op and wants to work on making mental changes

bridgettekearns
on 7/28/04 9:36 am - Patterson, NY
Hello my name is Bridgette, I had lap RNY on 12/17/2002 and have lost 150 pounds. I am very grateful for the oppurtunity to have had this surgery and I very much want to be sucessful longterm. I never want to be 304 pounds again. For about the past 7 mos I have been struggling at maintaining my weight loss, through exercise and healthy food choices, but some days go astray. I know it is normal to be able to eat more in volumn at this point post op, but it is still scary. I find myself eating many times for reasons that are not related to hunger, such as anxiety, bordom, fear, tiredness, etc. I have tried many things to change this, such as anxiety meds, therapy, yoga, meditation, self help books,etc. I believe I have to work harder at changing my mental mindset and I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has come to this point and what has helped you the most. If there is any one out there who is curently working through this very thing, maybe we could email one another to help provide support to one another. There is a book called THIS IS NOT BRAIN SURGERY by DR. TERI HOLTZCLAW, with chapters on this very thing and short self help activities to guide you through the process. If anyone thinks they might benifit from this type of thing, maybe we could be a support to each other, please email me at [email protected] thanks Bridgette
ChatKat15
on 8/11/04 4:28 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Hey Bridgete--I too am struggling to maintain my weight loss and I am not succeeding. I am 1.7 months out, and find myself back to old food habits, with the cycle of eating versus feeling bad about it. I have gained 10 pounds in the past 2 months. I feel out of control and the fears of gaining again is making me feel down. I start each day with good choices and intentions, but by days end, I am caving in to all my old passions. Granted i can eat less of those temptations, however I really enjoyed it when life was simpler and you knew that you could only eat an ounce before puking!! I may have to ask my husband to sit on my hands soon!! Carol
bridgettekearns
on 8/12/04 1:47 pm - Patterson, NY
Hi Carol: It is good to know I am not alone. Today has been one of those days that have really gone astray on me as well. I started out really well, walked about 6 miles on the treadmill and had a well planned out breakfast and lunch and then eating went completely down hill. I went to help my sister set up a party room for my nephews Christening and stupidly thought I didn't need to bring any food with me because after all I had had breakfast and lunch. I watched everyone eat Mcdonalds, chocolate lollipops, candy, pototoe chips and cheese doodles for about 3 hours, while I drank my diet pepsi (which is another thing that I know I should not be having in the volumn that I consume). At the end of the day, just as we were leaving, it was like the control switch got turned off and I started with 2 of the chocolate lollipops. I felt guilty about this, so I opted to try to skip dinner. In honesty I was begining to feel a little sick, dizzy and tired and weak. Once I start feeling like this, the only way for me to feel better is to eat frequently in small amounts. If I am in the right frame of mind I can choose Healthy foods, but this was not to be the case tonight. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Thanks and good luck with starting again tomorrow. Bridgette
bridgettekearns
on 8/14/04 4:24 am - Patterson, NY
Hello again Carol: I do the same exact thing in the middle of an argument, I start to eat as if that is going to help me with anything. It usually just makes the argument worse, because instead of just being angry at one person, I then become angry at myself as well. Another time that I can almost guarantee that eating is going to go astray is when I am working on anything involving MONEY AND BILLS. So far today is going well, had salmon and rice leftovers for breakfast (I know that is an odd choice for bkfst) and a lean cuisine type lunch and a few pretzels. I have not exercised yet, but I am thinking about it. I hope today is going well for you. Bridgette
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hellooooooooo
jeris · 5 replies · 638 views
Looking for Answers
mariahstokes · 0 replies · 534 views
4 years out.......
dlr121702 · 0 replies · 503 views
December 11, 2002--Post Op--
suzette V. · 0 replies · 490 views
any one from puerto rico ??
cynthia M. · 0 replies · 483 views