How are you upping your calories? I need advice!

tammylanc
on 11/16/06 9:34 pm - Fort Worth, tx
Hi everyone, I've lost 138 lbs since 12/28/05 and have been thrilled with my results. But for the past 2 months, I'm lucky to lose 1 lb per week and the past two weeks, I've been losing/gaining the same .2 lbs... I keep reading what everyone says about upping my calories, because honestly, I'm lucky if I get 600-800 in per day. My question for all of you, is ... what are you eating to up your calories? What's a typical day look like for you foodwise? The days when I try to eat more, I feel like I do nothing but eat eat eat all day and even then, I'm far from 1200. Can anyone help? Thanks!
April R.
on 11/16/06 10:11 pm - plymouth, MA
My Nut insisted on me upping the anty too.. up to 1250-1350 cals a day based on my metabolism. I did a test.. and I guess mine is higher than average now.. yippy. She has been trying to get me to eat 3 small meals a day with 3 snacks since day one.. it's hard.. but I am finally used to it. I eat carbs to up the anty.. but try to keep it to the good ones. Here's my typical day B: frozen Fruit Protein Shake.. 1 cup carb count down, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup of frozen peaches or strawberries, 1 scoop Vanilla Whey protein.. (I still have this everyday because I actually love it and figure I can always use the protein) 32g of protein, 250 cal. Sn1: South Beach Protein Bar 10 g of protein, 140 cal L: South Beach chicken roll-ups (great shtuff) 21g of protein, 210 cal Sn2: 2 lite string cheeses, 1/2 cup of grapes, 18g of protein, 210 cal D: I basically just eat whatever I want and make sure it's between 300-400 cal.. I don't have to worry about protein because I'm well over my quota by now. Sn3: peanuts and crasins/ WW ice cream bar, 150 cals Total Cals: ~1310 cals.. I feel very satisfied with this plan and feel like I could do it for life. I don't feel deprived.. because it is very resonable.. I loose slowly but steadily.. I am 2 pounds away from a 100 lb loss.. 16 pounds from my goal of 140.. Hope this helps April R
tammylanc
on 11/17/06 3:12 am - Fort Worth, tx
Thanks for the help April! I haven't tried the SB protein bars, I'm eating these Pure Protein ones that are 20 g protein and 190 calories, but seeing what you eat, makes me wonder if I'm lacking in protein, I'm estimating that I'm only getting around 50-60 g a day... appreciate the help and great job on your results, you look fab!
lsleach
on 11/18/06 12:17 pm - Ransom Canyon, TX
Hi Tammy, like April, I have found that even though I am upping my calories, I am still in a slow losing mode. I try to eat 6 times a day, roughly every 2-3 waking hours. I am eating around 1100-1300 calories a day. Here is a typical day: Breakfast: Protein shake (around 35 g protein) or Achieve Protein Drink (about 20 g protein); occassional mornings I have a piece of toast and fat free cream cheese; average about 200 calories Snack: yogurt (100 cal; 5 g protein) Lunch: Smart Ones frozen meal - usually around 250 cal. Snack: Southbeach protein (110 cal) or yogurt Dinner: Whatever I want - I try to get protein and vegie in; usually around 300 - 350 calories Snack: 100 cal bag popcorn or yogurt or sugar-free ice cream I have been hungrier the last few months, and find I can eat more volume. And some days I may eat an additional snack - besides what I've listed above! It scares me as I am so afraid of regaining weight. I am still inching slowly downward, though - the loss has definitely slowed down but still moves in that direction. Good luck! Lisa
tammylanc
on 11/19/06 8:52 pm - Fort Worth, tx
Hi Lisa, Thanks for responding! I know you guys are on the right track, just after upping my protein and calories over the weekend, the scale moved, so I know that's where I've been lacking. I've been hungrier the past few months too and it's like I have this little panic in my head that says, "Wait a sec - don't freak out and eat that." The suggestions from you and April were SO helpful! Thanks, and good luck continuing the downward spiral!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Congrats on the 10 years!
Josh H. · 0 replies · 717 views
Still Going Strong!
wantstowin2 · 0 replies · 672 views
do you remember me?
rron999 · 1 replies · 780 views
Happy 6th Birthday!
wantstowin2 · 1 replies · 1142 views
How is everyone doing?
bdub · 4 replies · 1077 views