Depressed?

lsleach
on 11/16/06 8:23 am - Ransom Canyon, TX
Hi everyone. I know how great we all are doing weight-wise but I wondered if anyone else was struggling with depression. I am thrilled with my weight loss but not with anything else in my life. There's nothing I can point to that is bad - I feel rediculous that I can't just get over it and be happy. Still, every day seems like a struggle. Is it just me?? Lisa Surgery 12/5/2005 277/158/150
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/06 11:07 pm - SC
It's not just you, Lisa. I am still hidding out at the house..feeling depressed.. I was feeling this way before surgery. However, I went to my hometown last Labor Day Weekend and ran my tush off and I snapped out of the depression for a couple of weeks. I'm back in the funk again, but planning on going back to my home town again for Thanksgiving..hopefully I'll get that break again.. By the way, You look fantastic! I would have never guessed you to be 50 years old! Your heavy pictures, yes..but the weight loss has given you 20 years! I hope you feel better soon..try a change of pace..go somewhere and kick up your heels some..it helps! Hugs, Janet
lsleach
on 11/17/06 1:35 am - Ransom Canyon, TX
Janet, Thanks so much for your encouraging words. Like you, I have battled depression before the surgery also -in fact, off and on my whole life. This one seems to just be lingering and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Your suggestion of a change of pace is a really good one - I have all next week off and am really going to try to focus on my mental health. And thanks for saying I don't look 50!! I do think the weight loss had helped me look and feel younger - all the more reason I should NOT be depressed! Have a wonderful thanksgiving! Thanks again, Lisa --
Diona A.
on 11/18/06 1:26 pm - Miles City, MT
Lisa, I am having the same problem. Along with feeling rather out of it, I find myself sabbatoging myself by grazing and eating things I shouldn't. I love being able to wear size 8s, but can't figure out why I keep doing things that are against my goals. I know the change of time has stressed my body with not enough light so need to do something about that. I go to work in the twilight and by the time I get off work it is getting dark. I come home and jus****ch tv. I do run during the week at lunch time which I think is my only saving grace. I'm taking Effexor twice a day but might need to go up in my dose or something. Are you taking an antidepressent and have you had your hormone levels checked (testosterone, estrogens - there are 3, and progesterone)? Good book to read is Hormone Hell to Hormone Well. Diona
lsleach
on 11/19/06 6:51 am - Ransom Canyon, TX
Diona, Thanks for the response - it is so nice to know I am not alone in this, although of course I would prefer everyone be out there really enjoying their new life! I too am grazing a lot - your comment about loving my size 8s but still doing things counterproductive rang so true. I had taken antidepressents for several years and finally weaned off them about a year before my surgery. It seems like defeat to need them again, but you are right - it is something I need to look into if this doesn't lift soon. I do not want to sabatoge all the blessings I have received. I also focused on your comment that you are feeling rather out of it - that is a perfect description for how my days go. I have a high-profile job and am constantly feeling agitated and distracted. Of course, this could all be related to the fact that I'm 50 now and may be entering menopause. I will look into the book you recommend. The depression may not be related to the WLS at all!
Diona A.
on 11/19/06 11:02 am - Miles City, MT
Lisa, Most likely your depression is totally separate from the weight loss. I know mine is. I've been fighting it for years and loosing weight has been great but I still have the depression. For the most part I am ok as long as I am on meds but I still struggle. You probably should see your doctor and see what he/she thinks. Diona
Dori V.
on 12/4/06 8:58 pm - Greenville, MI
Lisa, I think its a normal thing to be down, there is a lot thats changed in your life... I know with me, I have been on Lexapro since before my surgery and I still have to take it.. My biggest problem (and im in therapy for it) is my entire life ive been a social eater, my whole family is like that we get together, and have a meal, anytime I see my friends or family we usually end up having a huge meal, and i cant have the huge meal, So I get depressed before during and after the get together.. So then I started avoiding my family, Id come up with excuses as to why i couldnt attend, then Id get depressed because I miss them.. it was and is one huge circle of crap.. But I am learning to retrain my brain. I can visit with them while they eat, I dont have to eat.. hmm Ive got off track. What I am saying is that it is normal, if it gets too bad ask for help, dont try to do it on your own... I hope I didnt drone on too much. (((HUGS))) Dori
Most Active
Recent Topics
Congrats on the 10 years!
Josh H. · 0 replies · 713 views
Still Going Strong!
wantstowin2 · 0 replies · 664 views
do you remember me?
rron999 · 1 replies · 774 views
Happy 6th Birthday!
wantstowin2 · 1 replies · 1136 views
How is everyone doing?
bdub · 4 replies · 1068 views