Again, I need help with the Lap Band to be successful

Sunchaser
on 7/11/08 12:14 am - Baltimore, MD
I am 51 years old and had the surgery almost 3 years ago. My weight loss has only been 45 pounds in 3 years. I guess that I am glad that at least I lost weight, however I really expected much more weight loss to occur with this surgery. I have tried all the proteins and exercise only to find that nothing changed. I do have a slight disadvantage as I have lost most of my upper and lower back teeth due to gum and bone problems, so I have much trouble in making sure my food is chewed which results in having to bring the food back up. Therefore I tend to eat instant mashed potatoes, soups and ground meats. Now, I have noticed that I am having tenderness in the port area and am afraid that possibly infection has set in. I am truly at a loss right now, very frustrated with the lack of weight loss and I know that I have not utilized the band the proper way, but, I feel like there is a great lack of support in my area. No local forum, and meetings only 1 time a month. The doctor who performed my surgery never contacts me in any way and I feel kind of like I have been left out in the cold to fend for myself and then when I fail, everyone says it is my fault. I agree it probably is, but I feel like there should be more follow-up after surgery and a continueing effort by the doctor to track and keep informed of any problems. I guess my doctor intimidates me just a little as he is pretty stern and I am afraid to open up to him. Please help me with this continueing saga!! Thanks for any person that wishes to help. Carol
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/08 12:45 am
Carol, I wish I could give you a huge hug. Not having support is a tough road to travel. Do you have any support groups in your area? BE DETERMINED! Find some good support to lean. As to protein, consider protein drinks to boost the volume. I use Unjury and incorporate the extra protein into my meal plan every day. Also, consider fish (canned tuna, soft fish, shrimp, etc) to boost protein from food sources. I am not familiar with issues surrounding Lap Band, but I beleive the Lap Band forum here on OH is very active. Go there. Best wishes Carol. Take care of yourself. YOU are worth it! Vicky
Most Active
Recent Topics
Congrats on the 10 years!
Josh H. · 0 replies · 713 views
Still Going Strong!
wantstowin2 · 0 replies · 665 views
do you remember me?
rron999 · 1 replies · 776 views
Happy 6th Birthday!
wantstowin2 · 1 replies · 1136 views
How is everyone doing?
bdub · 4 replies · 1070 views