Question Diet before.....

SHAWNEY BROWN
on 11/6/05 12:55 pm - PERRYVILLE, MO
Hello, I was wondering if the week before surgery anyone was told by there doctor they had to be on a special diet of some sort? Because I was never instructed to do so. My surgery is December 1st and my pre-op appointment is November 22. I have my paperwork for pre-op and there's nothing on there about a special diet before surgery besides the night before surgery directions.The reason im asking I keep hearing people talk about a liquid diet two weeks before they have surgery. So if anyone can be of any help please let know. Thanks, Shawney
aedwards
on 11/6/05 1:55 pm - norfolk, VA
i dont know about a special diet but my dr. is going to give me something to cleanse me out a couple of days before surgery, my date is 12/20/05 good luck and keep in touch.
erron1570
on 11/7/05 1:54 am
There is a theory that shrinking the liver by a liquids only diet for 14 days before surgery makes the surgery easier for the surgeon and less risk of knicking the liver during the surgery. Most people get a natural "clean-out" on a liquid diet, so it can serve both purposes. It is up to your surgeon and your individual case though, so some folks don't have to do it.
etrnlsprg
on 11/7/05 3:29 am - Hope Mills, NC
My doctor puts you an all liquid diet 2 weeks before the actual surgery date. Basically it is the liquid diet you will be on after the surgery.
bjkaiser_2000
on 11/8/05 8:13 am - Owosso, MI
Hi, I am having open RYN and I have only one direction and that is NOTHING AFTER MIDNIGHT the night before. And I am on full food diet, no liquid. Good Luck and Take care. Brenda
SHAWNEY BROWN
on 11/9/05 1:39 pm - PERRYVILLE, MO
Thank you to all who could be of any help. Shawney
Brenna
on 11/10/05 12:46 am - Lyons, MI
Where I am having surg, there is a 2 week liquid diet to prepare your body, ie:liver etc... It is suppose to make it easier, but I am sure different centers have different approaches.
Patricia Sbr
on 11/12/05 11:23 am - Canton, NY
Hi, Shawney! My surgeon requires a clear liquid diet for three days prior to surgery. You should ask, so you will know one way or the other... Pat
chauncine
on 11/13/05 8:22 am - Milwaukee, WI
Shawney, My doctor's nurse advised me that I will need to be on the liquid protein diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. I plan on calling my dietician for more details tomorrow. According to my booklet it's the clear liquid diet that one is on immediately upon release from the hospital. The reason given is similar to what others have posted. A few of my friends have decided to go on the liquid plan with me. I'd give your doctor's office a call and ask if it's a requirement. Best of luck, Miz Chauncine RNY 12/12/05
Most Active
Recent Topics
Congrats on the 10 years!
Josh H. · 0 replies · 717 views
Still Going Strong!
wantstowin2 · 0 replies · 672 views
do you remember me?
rron999 · 1 replies · 780 views
Happy 6th Birthday!
wantstowin2 · 1 replies · 1142 views
How is everyone doing?
bdub · 4 replies · 1077 views